AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I first saw it in the theater and it BLEW me away. I mean everything, the performances, the state of the art special effects, it was so cool. Now, much later in life I look back with fondness and a wam heart at the "pure" vision of good vs evil, Robert Preston in a performance so Taylor Made for this actor, I can not think of anybody who could do better

Check out the soundtrack which was recently re-released, its great. But this was pure candy and such a great ending
....and if you come in with a great young attitude, its so much more fun.

PQ is the best its every been, I have been sucker on LD,DVD etc, dont let anyone talk you out of it, its the best its ever been, not perfect but what is.

All in all, this has been a GREAT summer for catalogs releases, this capps it off...I salute you and all other starfighers where every you are. PS "husbands" just was released, I think its the long version, another classic JC moive I have been waiting for for about 30 years or so, last time was in the theater.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
i just picked it up on HD DVD. I actually was not that impressed with the PQ. Ive gotten some other older movies that look astonishing on HD, such as Tremors. Starfighter....not so much.

But I grew up on it, and my 5 yr old loves it. I would LOVE to get condorman on BR or HD DVD.

My next "old" movie I have to crack open and check out is Smokey and the Bandit on HD DVD. Ive seen it about a million times, I hope its a good transfer.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is supposed to be a NEW transfer according to "aintitcool.com but I have not seen the hd-dvd, but both are supposed to be problematic, yes its better than dvd, but it always could be better with a restoration or updating of the special effects. I just dont think this movie gets the respect it is due, and Universal is a cheapskate studio when its comes to catalog titles. I am just grateful that is available in Blu

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I always appreciated The Last Starfighter for what it was. Which is one of the all time most popular sub-genres of SF called "Space Opera". There are lots of good examples of Space Opera recently. Some of the more popular ones would be Star Trek and Star Wars.

·
Registered
28,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 /forum/post/17023924

yes its better than dvd, but it always could be better with a restoration or updating of the special effects.

The only thing this movie is at all memorable for are the primitive CG effects. Replace those with a modern updating, and the movie has nothing left to recommend it.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Josh, I disagree. The Last Starfighter has great spirit and a fine narrative style that includes humor. It's not a "Classic Film", but it's one of the better "B" movies made in the 1980's. Among other things it has a great comic performance by Robert Preston, an under-appreciated actor.

I think it better than most comic book based films for example. So many modern films are professionally crafted and have great special effects but no soul. The Last Starfighter has soul aplenty.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My favorite part of The Last Starfighter is its sense of humor, there are tons of genuinely funny moments throughout the film and I think the performances by the largely unknown cast (with the exception of Robert Preston) are solid as well.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
I liked it. Nothing special, but it was a fun movie. If I come across it on tv, I won't turn the channel. Won't be buying it, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This movie is on my short list of "good sci-fi to watch every year or so". I watched it too many times as a kid and marveled at the computer graphics, which seem cartoonish today, but gave the movie a dimension it would have lacked otherwise. Besides, I love Tron too..

Some of the characters are pretty lame, and the made-up alien languages are even lamer (like greeta... gretaa nah... blah blah), but I really think the timeless fairy tale based story, the awesome orchestral soundtrack, and Robert Preston as this movie's Alec Guinness, keep me coming back every time I need a little escape from reality.

·
Registered
20,669 Posts
I haven't seen this since the 80's. I do have fond memories of it though.
I'll be picking this one up. Plus, I always thought Maggie Gordon was kind of hot.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboomgaarden /forum/post/17036577

This movie is on my short list of "good sci-fi to watch every year or so". I watched it too many times as a kid and marveled at the computer graphics, which seem cartoonish today...

I thought they seemed cartoonish in 1984. Poor substitute for quality model work. But I guess CGI had to start somewhere.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I liked this movie when it came out and I have a Collector's Edition copy of it on DVD. What about the blu-ray edition makes it worth a re-purchase?

·
Registered
28,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan /forum/post/17067363

I liked this movie when it came out and I have a Collector's Edition copy of it on DVD. What about the blu-ray edition makes it worth a re-purchase?

Well, the video is High Definition, obviously.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/17039103

I thought they seemed cartoonish in 1984. Poor substitute for quality model work. But I guess CGI had to start somewhere.

I'm relatively sure that was the point. More of a "proof of concept" for CGI, rather than thinking it would look better than model-work. I specifically remembering watching this in 1984 and thinking how cartoonish it was, but even then you could see the potential and how far they had come in just a couple short years.

Saying it seemed cartoonish is like ripping on Tron for not using model work.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/17068311

Saying it seemed cartoonish is like ripping on Tron for not using model work.

Well, now that you mention it...

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
One of my "innocent nightmares" as opposed to "guilty pleasures". Yeah I'm glad they don't make these anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts