AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one on this board old enough to remember this movie???? IMHO they did a hell of a job on remastering this for dvd; the best concert movie ever made looks and sounds fabulous.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Am I the only one on this board old enough to remember this movie????
Nope!

I remember going to the theater and seeing it when it first came out. Scorsese did a wonderful job filming this concert, and whoever put this package together for the DVD release was equal to the task. The images look great and the sound is awesome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was also around to see this when it first came out and have never forgotten it. The DVD is excellent and one of my favorites along with The Wall.

Regards

Emmett

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I would have been a bit young to appreciate it, though I was around. But I love it now and have for a long time. I was waiting quite a while for it to arrive on DVD, and the wait seems to have been worth it. I watched it the other night (probably 30th time, 1st on DVD in a quality transfer), and it was excellent.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I also saw it when it was first released in theaaters. I noticed some digital enhancements of the Neil Young footage. Anybody else remember the weirdness with the film in his performance?....

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I am not sure of the movie, the song sure but I will have to check it out on the IMDb, since none of you described it.:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hob - "The Last Waltz" is the final performance of The Band, who used to backup Bob Dylan. They were joined on stage by heavy hitters like Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Dylan, Muddy Waters, Ringo Starr, Ron Wood and Van Morrison. And the director was.......Martin Scorsese.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Thanks for the information, NNolan

O/T I have Neil Youngs Silver and Gold DVD. I have the DVD movie Philadelphia with my favorite actor Denzel Wasington. Neil's song 'friends' was a moving song along, with song from Bruce Springsteen & the E street band singing. :)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The Last Waltz has taken over the #1 spot for "Best Concert DVD" on my all-time favorites list.

It's not really fair - Martin Scorsese's obsession with the concert resulted in filming in 35mm, using detailed storyboarding, and professional photographers and set design. (Bill Graham bought the chandeliers and set used for the backdrop from the SF Metropolitan Opera House.) Then Scorsese added three studio song productions and edited in interviews with band members on the road. So we end up with a concert film with true Hollywood production values throughout. I wonder if such will ever happen again - so many talented musicians, so much detailed planning, and such fine performances.

I can only endorse the reccomendation: Play It Loud!

Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.