AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pleasantly surprised by this show. It might get old but I'm enjoying the "group interviews" I'm not a comedy bit kind of guy but they have been rather entertaining. Even his monologues have been serviceable. All and all much better than I thought. I figured I'd pass on it completely but now it's a series recording that I look forward to and it's rather high on the list.

Broadway, television and film star James Corden takes over the reins of the late-late-night franchise at CBS from fellow U.K. import Craig Ferguson. The British performer -- whose previous hosting gigs include five years of The Brit Awards -- puts his charm, warmth and creative instincts to use as he interviews celebrities and newsmakers, and hosts musical performances in his post-"Late Show" time slot.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Haven't watched this one yet, but Graham Norton is the only kind of interview show I can tolerate. If they ripped off his get them drunk and interview them together schtick it could have a chance. Just don't think Corden is the guy to host though. Neil Patrick Harris or Seth McFarlene type would be better.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neil Patrick Harris or Seth McFarlene type would be better.
I wouldn't watch either... what's why there are more than one and the one I watch is always the lowest rated!

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
I'm pleasantly surprised by this show. It might get old but I'm enjoying the "group interviews" I'm not a comedy bit kind of guy but they have been rather entertaining. Even his monologues have been serviceable. All and all much better than I thought. I figured I'd pass on it completely but now it's a series recording that I look forward to and it's rather high on the list.
You and I are complete opposite on that, I really detest the "group interviews". I've watched both shows this week and while I was interested in several people in both, it was completely ruined to me by the group interview format. I guess time will tell how others feel but I for one hope it switches back to a more traditional format of the host and one guest.
Back in the day the Tonight Show with JC would frequently retain the previous guests and they would slid down the sofa while new guests took the seat closest to JC. I was OK with this as for the most part it was one on one, this group format sure isn't for me. I'll probably give it a few more tries but probably only if it has a guest I'm really really interested in, and even then I'll probably be wishing it was just them and not the rest of the group :)

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've watched both shows this week and while I was interested in several people in both, it was completely ruined to me by the group interview format.
For me no one actually does an interview per se. If they did I would agree to a large extent. In this case watching the "interaction" is more of a plus than the minus of an actual interview... since they don't exist. Hopefully as the format flexes itself and becomes more familiar (to the guests) it can create its own dynamics.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
For me no one actually does an interview per se. If they did I would agree to a large extent. In this case watching the "interaction" is more of a plus than the minus of an actual interview... since they don't exist. Hopefully as the format flexes itself and becomes more familiar (to the guests) it can create its own dynamics.

I think the group format serves a couple of purposes. It relieves pressure on the newbie, Corden, of having to do a one-on-one interview and it's a little different format than the 4 other late night talk shows. I believe Meyers got some flak for having the same boring format as all the other shows before him and Fallon was criticized for not even interviewing his guests - he just compliments and fawns over them and then they do some funny bit together.

As I mentioned previously, I like the multi-guest format because it does offer interactions that you wouldn't get otherwise and I assume that most of it is genuine instead of set up ahead of time. The only time it can be bad if one guest overpowers the whole segment and constantly interrupts the others.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only time it can be bad if one guest overpowers the whole segment and constantly interrupts the others.
I noticed that the other night. Audrey Plaza keep wanting a turn and didn't quite get it... which to some degree lets you get to know all of the guests in a way you wouldn't other wise.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
Borrowing liberally from the Graham Norton format does make the show at least stand out amongst the late night desk-bound formula but this week I've seen the cracks in the writing start to show when he leans on the script.

His opening monologue works much better as a monologue. One topic, no one-liners. Going through the headlines is a generic fall back and he would be much better served telling a story about his own life as he did with his parents earlier in the week.

The games and sketches are not particularly strong either. The phone game on Monday night was just five minutes of dead air waiting for a point. The Hanks sketch worked much better because, well, it was Tom Hanks. The show should write more sketches and games around the talents and backgrounds of the guests and not just drop them into something lame.

He's affable enough and he seems to be dialing back the "aww shucks" sincerity and I don't mind the couch interview as long as he has the right guests on the show to make the combination work. Two guests is better than three.

That opening walk through the crowd the guests have to do is still awkward though.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I had no idea about this group thing until I caught it last night as the channel was just on for noise. It reminded me of that awful hack show Comics Unleashed where the host asks his guests about a topic they "conveniently" have a comedy bit ready to respond with. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Didn't give it much of a chance when I stumbled across the thing last night and he had Katy Couric & two zeros on the couch trying to make funny. Completely unwatchable and left such a bad taste it will be a long time before I return.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I had no idea about this group thing until I caught it last night as the channel was just on for noise. It reminded me of that awful hack show Comics Unleashed where the host asks his guests about a topic they "conveniently" have a comedy bit ready to respond with. :rolleyes:

All talk shows do a "pre" interview with their guests so that they can set up questions that the host can ask and the guest has a funny or interesting story prepared ahead of time. What's interesting about the simultaneous guest format is that I don't think they prep all the guests at the same time to work out the witty banter between them, so those exchanges are usually unscripted and spontaneous. For instance, here's Taylor Swift, John Cleese, and a cricket player (sorry, he's probably the Lebron James of cricket, but I am ignorant) discussing cats on the Graham Norton Show. The subject of cats was, of course, pre-planned, but there's no way that the interaction between the guests was rehearsed.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
All talk shows do a "pre" interview with their guests so that they can set up questions that the host can ask and the guest has a funny or interesting story prepared ahead of time.

No, I get that, but in the case of Comics Unleashed it feels forced and fake. I never felt that from interviews on other talk shows until last night with Corden.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Obviously, it's not for everyone. If you read why they selected him as host you'll know what (and who) they are going for... most here aren't the target market and hopefully won't find it watchable. :)

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Obviously, it's not for everyone. If you read why they selected him as host you'll know what (and who) they are going for... most here aren't the target market and hopefully won't find it watchable. :)
But it is on CBS........ our favorite network :p
My main beef so far is as someone else said, when a single person(who I'm not at all interested in) dominates the conversation. Ala something like Whoppi on the View!
I'm still holding out hope but long for the days of C.F. :(

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still holding out hope but long for the days of C.F. :(
I started with Craig rather late and really enjoyed the show. I like his off the cuff "interviews" but at some point it became all too familiar and it took a special guest to make it entertaining. Choosing A or B I'd pick Craig but since I have seen his show for x years and to a large degree he started phoning it in I'm ready for something new. Now B might not prove to be it but it's better than I guessed going in.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Last night's episode where they filmed in some random person's apartment was a train wreck. Awkward and ill-conceived. I didn't catch the exact conversation, but when Beck was introduced, he handed Corden some tissues because it seemed like he was sweating. Then they made some comments about picking a place with no Air Conditioning. But at least it was different. Out in the wild, it seemed like Corden had smoked a little too much weed. He kept laughing hysterically and slightly amusing things. Like when he found Reggie Watts crammed behind the TV during the Hide and Seek bit.

I know it's early days. I hope Corden and his writers gets over their jitters and find their groove. Fallon had the same adjustment period and now he's king. I haven't heard any feedback on how Seth Meyers is doing (he had a really rough start, too) and I rarely watch his show. He's an intelligent and funny guy,, but I don't think he has a strong enough personality to stand out.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fallon had the same adjustment period and now he's king.
Ratings don't equal viewing in my case. I never watch Fallon and as I posted in the past. He always comes across of as an adult who never outgrew his childhood.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Have they announced Jay's return yet?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have they announced Jay's return yet?
I like a show that's not afraid to try some weird things. The show at Tommy's house was certainly different and I enjoyed it. I also liked Katie Couric's "April Fool's" joke. Corden is likable and Reggie Watts isn't afraid to be his own guy. I was a HUGE fan of Craig Ferguson but now I find Corden is a decent replacement!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.