AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The phone number still works. The auto-message is there and then a customer service rep answered and confirmed that the number was still good for support.

I told her we all wanted to know what was going on. She told me the following:

They lost over 50% of the RTV population last year mainly to cable co. DVRs

They are required to change all of their technology to digital as per the FCC - this does not mean the digital programming (as she and I had this discussion) or hardware, this is how the mothership functions. Currently the net connect (setting the clock, channel guide, zones, etc.) is all analog connection. It must become all digital by a certain date that she did not know.

Because that will cost them a lot of expense and time, they had originally decided not to go through with it because of the loss of customers last year.

Because of so much response in these past 6 weeks, they decided that there was enough interest to pursue the digital conversion after all.

With them experimenting on converting the signal, this could mean that there could be hours, days or weeks with no service.

They are also not sure if they can do it at all and might give up.

Everyone needs to monitor their connected RTVs because there may be no warning of a change. Otherwise, nag screens will be used to provide info.

Their official statement says that they do not anticipate and changes to services going forward, but that they do reserve the right to add, modify or reduce service in the future for a variety of reasons including changes to technology, programming availability and new service options.

They are going through a lot of training, she said, in order to prepare for this required conversion.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'll assume you are attempting to report what you heard accurately. The problem I'm having with what you are reporting is that the analog / digital part makes no sense. I hope the person you spoke to was just confused.

Bye.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Uh, BS dectector is going off. The mothership has to go digital because the FCC requires it? I'm not buying this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwinter2 /forum/post/20767047

They are required to change all of their technology to digital as per the FCC - this does not mean the digital programming (as she and I had this discussion) or hardware, this is how the mothership functions. Currently the net connect (setting the clock, channel guide, zones, etc.) is all analog connection. It must become all digital by a certain date that she did not know.

With them experimenting on converting the signal, this could mean that there could be hours, days or weeks with no service.

Everyone needs to monitor their connected RTVs because there may be no warning of a change. Otherwise, nag screens will be used to provide info.

Their official statement says that they do not anticipate and changes to services going forward, but that they do reserve the right to add, modify or reduce service in the future for a variety of reasons including changes to technology, programming availability and new service options.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote:

The phone number still works. The auto-message is there and then a customer service rep answered and confirmed that the number was still good for support.

I told her we all wanted to know what was going on. She told me the following:

They lost over 50% of the RTV population last year mainly to cable co. DVRs

Because that will cost them a lot of expense and time, they had originally decided not to go through with it because of the loss of customers last year.

Because of so much response in these past 6 weeks, they decided that there was enough interest to pursue the digital conversion after all.

They are going through a lot of training, she said, in order to prepare for this required conversion.

What about the mothership is analog? Could that be talking about dial-up? I never heard anything about phone being required to convert to digital.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Yep hard to tell if there was originally some grain of truth in there that was mangled beyond recognition.

Any guesses or translations?

Perhaps part of the "blame it all on the digital transition" meme and of course the implications for analog cable. Wonder if the "experimentation" has to do with lineup management? But with so little population left why do anything but pull the plug.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I even explained to her what digital is and how it is different from HD and that HD isn't an FCC requirement. And I reminded her that RTV doesn't control the broadcasting of the signals which RTV records without a problem. She said it had nothing to do with the programming/broadcasting or OUR hardware, but that their equipment was out of compliance and had to up updated by a certain date as per the FCC. She said that how the net connect was being transmitted to the units was over analog signal and had to be converted to digital.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you would like to call and get the info, most of which she reads - like the statement from the FCC and the official statement - please do. She is a dedicated RTV CS employee - something I thought RTV didn't have since in all these years, I never spoke to a CS person until this past June.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Must be talking about dialup connects?

Someone else call and "probe the script" some more see if we can get past that "great barrier of misunderstanding" for some better nuggets of possible info.

Maybe someone can call and get Cory...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maybe she was talking about being able to control the over the air set top boxes with sub-channels??? Is there some sort of requirement that could be construed to mean that the ReplayTV service would need to work with those???

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:

Currently the net connect (setting the clock, channel guide, zones, etc.) is all analog connection. It must become all digital by a certain date that she did not know.

Any chance you called them at 4:20? Smell a tangy aroma over the phone connection???

Maybe "Space" is onto something. Could there possibly be a requirement to support Federally sponsored OTA DTV boxes by a certain date? That might make some sense out of their previous announcements.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Quote:
Currently the net connect (setting the clock, channel guide, zones, etc.) is all analog connection.

Finally someone will replace the analog clock and channel guide. The converting of the clock to digitial will make the "display clock" setting on 243-Zones work so much faster.

Sorry, sbwinter2, their response makes no sense technically.

Robert

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden /forum/post/20767300

Finally someone will replace the analog clock and channel guide. The converting of the clock to digitial will make the "display clock" setting on 243-Zones work so much faster.

Robert

It is no offense to me. I just took notes and relayed them here. This is what SHE said after I asked her over and over for more clarification. Please call and hear it for yourself. The CS reps are not technical, so they probably don't understand what they are saying. This is what they have been told to say. Maybe you will get someone other than Cindy.

Their office is still open now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden /forum/post/20767300

Robert

Better yet - she said they were very lost about what to do. Maybe Robert can call them and become a consultant since we know he knows what HE is doing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just called again and spoke to Shawn in tech support, who I have spoken to before. He said that all he knew was that the shutdown was due to them not wanting to support an analog device in a digital-signal world. He had no info on the change-of-mind and knew nothing of the FCC stuff or conversion, but also told me that Cindy, in his office, is in a more supervisory role and may be privy to more info.

·
Registered
430 Posts
calling the regular customer support is never going to get you the right answer on something as complicated as this.

Not that it matters much anyways. Just wait and see what happens. The monthly customers are in a little bit of limbo, but with things like WIRNS and SD you can protect yourself with the suggestions in other recent threads. At least for the time being even monthly customers are getting free guide from DNNA... can't beat that!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really wasn't looking for any real answers. I mainly called because in another thread, someone had said the number was only a message now, and I wanted to confirm that. When the rep actually answered, I figured I'd see what she knew (and then spent time explaining digital to her until I finally gave up).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.