AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Titled "Shopping for an HDTV" I rate the HDTV display, knowledge and abilities of the three national chains and two regionals. This issue has received the best response of any newsletter I have published.

Time is running out for free subscriptions. Just go to www.hdtvinsider.com to get the latest copy.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Ain't it the truth!

Every time I step into a major electronics chain, I get a misinformed sales drone. Around Detroit, I think both BB & CC compete for the least experienced personal they can find, with a tie for first place.

I can only hope Gary's piece gets the message across to these stores, otherwise we'll all suffer longer than necessary with the DTV transition.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
So disgraceful it must be accurate. In New England the ditto answer would probably drop MSG.

Gary,

Appreciate managed expextations with the thread coming concurrent with the email.

Keep up the great work,

Tim

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Gary's info is dead accurate. Living very close to Gary, I've visited all the retailers he's mentioned and have found exactly the same scenerios he points out. What a shame for the future of this great medium!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Interesting article Gary and I was amazed at the number of places that thought Discovery was available in HD.

On dumb question please.

What is MSG?

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
279 Posts
What we have here is a failure to motivate the sales staff into mastering the subject of HDTV. Its obvious by now that forcing this complicated training into these young minds is the wrong approach. However a storewide/regeon wide contest to see who can sell the most HDTV's with the winner taking one home (along with a STB) will iduce the staff to learn the all there is to know. The age old "bottom up" sales technique.

[This message has been edited by Randy Lorenz (edited 07-07-2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
One dumb question please.

What is MSG?

Thanks,

Joe[/b][/quote]

Madison Square Garden Network. It's the local cable channel that is owned by Cablevison. One of the NYC area cable companies. MSG is also the name of the arena that they own. Also the Knicks, Rangers Which are shown. The past 12 years MSG network has had the rights to show the Yankees.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Gary,

I enjoyed your latest issue but feel a little self-indulgent about having a good time with it. Anyone following this forum for more than an afternoon has no respect for the stores that you visited. Everyone knows that the sales people are ill-informed and that the televisions are set to harmful levels of brightness and contrast.

I guess this might be news, and valuable for it, among some people but here, at least, it is preaching to the choir. I like receiving your stuff and am usually educated by it. This time I just found myself looking for the meaty information that is usually part of your publication. Art

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
This issue comes up over and over again. Salesmen at AV stores don't know about HD. More specifically, they make the same predictable mistakes over and over again.

For instance, without fail, if you ask them what is available in HD they tell you what they have seen on their store demos, from the source of their store demos.

But this is partially our fault! I've suggested here before that that problem could easily be helped by a Grass Roots lobbying and education effort. But lobby the sales managers, not the politicians.

It would be possible to create a 2-3 page printed FAQ titled "What About HDTV in _______ City USA" (fill in).

One page could have general equipment & satellite info and the other could summarize local issues, including what channels are currently available OTA. And some web links.

Just keep it very simple. Answer Gary's questions and the basics, sticking mostly to what we already know they always get wrong.

Whenever we went to an electronics store we could have fun lobbying and handing out literature.

I'm not able to spearhead this myself but it seems that collectively we'd have the resources to make a difference. Maybe AVS could help.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
What's Wrong with Copy Protection .

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I would like to thank all members for your nice comments about Issue 13.

Art,

This newsletter is a follow up of Issue 12 on buying an HDTV. Issue 13 will be appearing in the next issue of The Perfect Vision.

I have several reasons to discuss Shopping for an HDTV in this issue. The number one complaint among set owners is the lack of programming. Very simply put: greater HDTV sales=more programming. My goal was two-fold. One was to let the public know that what you see in the national chains might not be a proper presentation of HDTV. The other was to make both the management of these chains and their suppliers aware of the situation, in hope and belief that it may improve. Virtually all the major vendors and retailers subscribe to the HDTV Insider Newsletter. I feel strongly that my efforts will help things along in a very positive manner.

The next issues of The HDTV Insider will deal more with trends, developments and issues concerning HDTV, with a slant towards information that has not appeared anywhere else.

There will be a major change to the newsletter very soon and I will announce the details shortly.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hi, Im pretty new here and just signed up for the newsletter, im really interested in issue 12, is there any way to see the past newsletters? thanks

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hey Gary I really appreciate what you do for the furtherance of HDTV, but that photo of you has got to go...it's awful.

------------------

All your bases are belonging to us since 1902...

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is interesting that the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) has chastised Congress, the NAB, HDTV OEMs, STB OEMs, and others about the perceived slow rollout of HDTV. Most of the criticism is/was rightly due. However...

I would hope that Gary Shapiro of the CEA would read Gary M.'s latest HDTVinsider newsletter and lay the verbal whipping on the consumer electronics mass market retailers for their pitiful HDTV sales/marketing attempts. It turns your stomach to see/hear how poorly trained and educated these sales people are. I do not necessarily blame the actual kid getting paid a little above minimum wage, it is the executive and management leadership of these companies that are to blame.

Come on Gary S., how about laying into these consumer electronics retailers like you have with the other organizations.

------------------

Don Silinski

[This message has been edited by donsil (edited 07-08-2001).]

·
Registered
178 Posts
hello, i just signed up for the newsletter and am in the market for a hdtv, could someone please email me newsletter 12 as that one seems to be the one that i really could read, thanks if anyone can, I live in canada so newsletter 13 doesn't really help me much

[email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gary:

I really enjoyed the latest issue. I'd like to point out that the lack of knowledge among the sales staff at these chain stores is not limited to HDTV. They know little or nothing about the other products the sell as well. How this can be in the best interest of the stores or manufacturers is beyond my understanding. Of course there are exceptions, nothing is absolute.

If anyone is visiting NYC and wants to see a decent selection of TVs, I recommend stopping by The Wiz on Fifth Avenue (between E46th and E45th). You can go there in-between taking pictures of Rockefeller Center and standing on line to go to the top of the Empire State Building. The sales people at this particular Wiz won't know as much my fellow AVForumites, but they let you screw around with the remotes and don't hassle you much beyond "can I help you?"

Happy Shopping,

Adam

·
Registered
572 Posts
While one has come to expect this kind of bad information from the minimum wage set at the mega chains, I have found several of the local high-end AV boutique stores to be nearly as clueless about HD.

For example I visited 3 (otherwise great) shops during the CBS HD NFL playoffs last season. Each of them said they were showing great HD on 6 figure HT systems. All of them were tuned into DirecTV's local CBS feed. Taking a look at the STB's showed no antenna connections ... DUH! These guys know audio inside-out but lacked the most basic knowledge of HD delivery.

I always politely point out the truth and these guys are smart enough to do something to correct it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Reading this thread I found something which I feel worth repeating:

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry:
This issue comes up over and over again. Salesmen at AV stores don't know about HD. More specifically, they make the same predictable mistakes over and over again.

For instance, without fail, if you ask them what is available in HD they tell you what they have seen on their store demos, from the source of their store demos.

But this is partially our fault! I've suggested here before that that problem could easily be helped by a Grass Roots lobbying and education effort. But lobby the sales managers, not the politicians.

It would be possible to create a 2-3 page printed FAQ titled "What About HDTV in _______ City USA" (fill in).

One page could have general equipment & satellite info and the other could summarize local issues, including what channels are currently available OTA. And some web links.

Just keep it very simple. Answer Gary's questions and the basics, sticking mostly to what we already know they always get wrong.

Whenever we went to an electronics store we could have fun lobbying and handing out literature.

I'm not able to spearhead this myself but it seems that collectively we'd have the resources to make a difference. Maybe AVS could help.

- Tom

I think Tom has hit the nail on the head. Everybody complains about this, but nobody is doing anything about it. Of course, Tom admitted that he is not in a position to do anything about it as well.

I started a YahooGroup! for Atlanta HDTV which is strictly about local issues. I've been playing with a FAQ and starting another which is "read-only" but provides the simple facts and truths to assist people in this area. Getting the facts to retailers could be as simple as printing the FAQ and handing it to them, with the web address plainly shown. Not as much fun as bashing these people here, but perhaps more productive.

I would be pleased to drive the Atlanta "local" HDTV FAQ. I am not sufficiently knowledgable to write a general purpose FAQ, but would be happy to be involved in that and provide editorial comments.

At first I found this store bashing interesting, even amazing. Now I would simply reply "What have you personally done to effectively improve the situation?". Who will engage me in this? Who will help write the national and local HDTV FAQ that the sales associate and the potential buyer need to move this thing along?

------------------

-CB-

Interested in Atlanta specific issues?
Atlanta HDTV & DTV Group

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.