AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

There are a lot of these "look I bought a plasma" posts out there and though they do not usually serve much of an educational purpose I know I enjoyed reading about peoples' journeys as I studied my purchase. So here's my little adventure to add to the rest, hopefully those out here on the edge will enjoy my little plasma adventure!

I actually started to visit this board back in 2000 when I was in the market for a rear projection set. I ended up getting a great Toshiba (TN50X81) that served me well for a few years. As I think back to the time I bought it I specifically remember thinking - "I'll have this set for no less than five to seven years." We all know how that goes... So it's 2004 and I recently signed a long-term contract with a client in my hometown of Cincinnati. The contract pretty much ties me here for the next 3-4 years (which is not a bad thing as most of my family is here and the bank is fantastic).

I recently purchased a new townhouse (2002) and decided, since I knew I would be here for a while, I would do a bit of remodeling. My grand plan hit a few bumps in the road due to labor costs so, rather than sacrifice my vision (and plasma), I decided to do all the work myself. Nine-hundred square feet of hardwood, miles of baseboard, kilometers of trim, gallons of paint, multiple personal art projects, one deck, a few pieces of custom-built furniture, and lots of snaked wire later I have the setup I was shooting for - and took 20 years off my back doing those damn nail down solid hardwood floors!

I knew I wanted to get a plasma, new speakers, and the HD Tivo, but there were lots of choices (except for the latter). Since I had all the pieces in my mind when I started my grand project (May), I knew that the new 7 series Pannys were "just around the corner." I had, over the course of a few months and the help of this forum, pretty much settled on the 50" Panny industrial model and had some time to wait while my entire first floor was ripped up. By the time it came to install the display, there was still no solid word on the 7 so I gave it a bit more time. When VA lowered their prices on the 6 in August, I pulled the trigger. I guess patience is a virtue I just don't have, but after spending countless hours getting this space ready I just wanted to be done with the whole thing. Looking at the situation now and knowing the new features on the 7, I'm fine with it. There's nothing too earth-shattering in the 7 that really makes me cringe and I got to see pretty much every game this season so far in HD - no regrets not waiting. We're all going to upgrade in half the time we think anyway so I'll be right there with you all on the 80" 1080p sets in 2008!

So I got the set on the wall in early September and the speakers up a week later. Here are the components:

* TH-50PHD6UY (Obviously!) w/ DVI blade

* KEF 2005.2 system (Also known as the "Eggs")

* HD Tivo (Don't remember the exact model... there's only one though)

* Bravo D2

* Sony Receiver (The only component to survive the update)

* Library card catalog style DVD cases from Target (online)... DVDs alphabetized of course!

* AV Unit is custom built (by me) to look built in. It actually slides out for easy cable management. I'd by happy to give rough plans to anyone who wants to try something similar.

I really need to give a big thanks to a lot of people on this board, especially to BruZZi with his wonderful Panny FAQ and RHarkness with the saga of the "Steaming Rat." There were many others who answered questions along the line with great and informative posts. This board is a true treasure on the internet (or is it internetS now?).

Here is a pic of the final setup. I am also posting a way for everyone to pass a bit of time. The following two posts contain close-up pics of the photographs over each DVD case. They are custom made stills from some of my favorite movies. So far no visitor to my place has correctly placed all ten - though any movie buff should be able to name these in their sleep and chide me for wasting their time! First correct placement of all ten in this thread gets absolutely nothing but the realization they will never get those few minutes of their life back...

Cheers AVSForum!

Tony

· Registered
162 Posts
looks great... the stills are a nice touch and,as you pointed out, rather obvious... i am saddened by your visitors limited cinema experience ;) ... the ht accessories forum guys should take a look at those...

· Registered
15,587 Posts
Tony,

Congrats on a beautiful set-up. Really tasteful - I love the wall color.

I enjoyed reading your tale and I'm glad I could contribute in my tiny way to your plasma researching obsession. ;)

Thanks,

· Registered
534 Posts
tonyalexander

Wow nice job :) enjoy all the hard work paided off.

· Registered
115 Posts
I think you might want to work on the symmetry of the setup.

OK, I'm joking, it looks awesome!

BTW, how is the sound in that room? It looks like there's quite a bit of wood, with little dampening materials excepting the small area rug under the ottoman. It "looks" like it may sound bright, is it?

· Registered
308 Posts
Uffff...so nice...it's actually encouraging...getting all that job done by yourself? That's a lot of time to put in...enjoy to the fullest extent! Congrats!!

· Registered
767 Posts
ok i'll try out the ones that i know

Casablanca

?

Empire of the Sun ?--

Lost in Translation

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulin

?

?

Back To the Future

Shawshank Redemption

Lord of the Rings

made them in order

· Registered
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cholerabob
ok i'll try out the ones that i know

Casablanca

Lost in Translation

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulin

Back To the Future

Shawshank Redemption

Lord of the Ring

Empire of the Sun ?--This one not sure
almost famous

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the kudos everyone. I'm very happy with it as well!

wojtek - I captured the stills using an Applescript (DVD Capture) that works with the Apple DVD player in OSX. I don't know how it works on Windows machines, but the Apple DVD player doesn't map DVD playback through the graphic card - it goes directly to the screen. Therefore you can't do a simple screen grab because the image is not in the video memory. Hence the need for an add-on script. If the DVD player maps the image through the video card I would think it would be as simple as pausing the film where you want the still and then doing an "Alt + Print Screen" (in Windows). You could then paste the image into a Photoshop document or the like. I obviously did a bit of post-production in the sepia tones. Another gotcha is that it took three tries before I fount a photomat that would print these. They all have rules against making prints from copyrighted materials. I just found the photomat with the least interested looking teenager working the desk and - voila - he didn't give a rats ass! (Oh, I just copied the finished pics over to a compact flash card. Most photomats now have the little Kodak machines that read right from the card).

onejake - It does sound a bit "bright," but this leans toward my personal tastes anyway. The heavy red velvet curtains help a lot. It is good since I am in a townhouse with a shared wall that I don't need too much bass to get a good sound. The hardwood gives me sharp low range without having to overcompensate for carpet or fabrics.

The only still that seems to be stumping those who have posted is the first one on the 2nd pic. That one is from "The Thin Red Line" (1998). It came out the same year as "Saving Private Ryan" and kinda got overshadowed in the genre. I think it's a much better film though, which is not to say I don't love SPR as well... TTRL really shines in the visuals department so I imagine anyone who is reading this board would love to see it on their setup.

· Registered
878 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyalexander
There are a lot of these "look I bought a plasma" posts out there and though they do not usually serve much of an educational purpose I know I enjoyed reading about peoples' journeys as I studied my purchase. So here's my little adventure to add to the rest, hopefully those out here on the edge will enjoy my little plasma adventure!....

...Here is a pic of the final setup....
Removed non-constructive post.

· Registered
15,587 Posts
Another helpful "drive-by" strafing, huh AMc?

Charming.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.