AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been messing around with my DIY project and tooling around here in AVS for over a year now and have come to the proverbial "I've followed instruction as far as i can, I don't know what to do now & me cabasa is spinning... somebody stop me!" construction thread. & so...

In the beginning (4 years ago) my home was built & i was lucky enough to at least dedicate a room (on 2nd story)... pushed around walls as much as was possible (added 6 feet length & 1' height)... remove the window... dedicate a closet for equipment... & wire it up (+ conduit to attic). After a couple years of sitting barren I started tinkering... building to a crescendo until now i am on the verge of actually using the room!... AND for what i intended for it to be! {yippee}

Here is where i started (the back)...

... & the front...

the closet...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the room is...

width: 12'-7"

length: 20'-7 1/2"

height: 9'-0"

The walls are all all insulated. Floor isn't, but only master bath below (i have to shut door between that & master BR when i really rock out & wifey is trying to sleep)

The carpet is a tan "berber" type and will stay.

There is attic space beyond the door on the screen side so access behind there. It is a load bearing wall.

On the other side of the back wall (entrance) is an office & the equipment closet. the eq room is fairly secluded.

It was previously wired for 7.1... infrared... sat feed & phone jacks... dedicated curcuits throughout the HT & the closet... sconces... the ceiling light/fan will be replaced with recessed lights (two zones)... there is a floor outlet & conduit beck to the eq room... and conduit to the ceiling (future projector location).

I put in two HVAC vents... it dissapates the air-blowing noise nicely... but i neglected to put a return in there. {oops}

This is my 1st HT... it won't be the last... i have enjoyed doing this myself & am gaining carpentry & tool skills by the buckets.... not too shabby for drain-O-ing the thinking pipes either.

previous equipment that stays:

Sony CD/SACD 5-disc changer

STAX headphones (in equipment room)

Klipsch spkrs

front RF-3

back surrounds RS-3

sub KSW-12

recently purchased:

side surrounds RS-52

center RC-62

DirectTV HD receiver

TST sub amp Dayton 240W

EDIT (1/28/08): Pioneer VSX-94TXH

EDIT (2/6/08): Sony VW60 projector

Niles IR system MSU250

Insteon lighting automation

Universal remote: Genesis MX-900

EDIT (2/17/2008): PS3 40G

Tripp-Lite 1000Pro

EDIT (3/1/2008):

Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 110"

to be replaced:

Sony DA50ES (5.1)

Sony DVD

I think that's all for now...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the plans i started with...

seating plan

plan with 1st reflections

front & back elevation

side elevation with sight views

& the isometric

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The order of this may seem ar$ backwards, but there was a method to my madness. 1st wanted to get the ball rolling somewhere... spend some funds as i got them (before i used them elsewhere) and i knew it would take a while till the grand opening so i didn't want to waist purchases on electronics that would wind up obsolete by the time i got to enjoying them. & i purchased (and constructed) when i thought i considered everything related & made a final decision.... so i started by purchasing 4 of these...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
please enjoy as i try to get this up to present day... all comments/ctriticism/questions are most welcome (no feelings hurt here)

here is the plan for the columns...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plan for the columns. I am enamored with Klipsch... just love those horns! RF-3 for two channel listening. I am happy with those for now... will upgrade much later down the road, but for multi channel i purchased some newer model (almost identically matched) RS-52's. I wanted to not redo the sconce wiring & liked the symmetry of making the footprint of the column identical to the speaker (homeplate shape) So i cut a template & formed up the columns as below. Also i made made in sections to reduce warping.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am building the rear columns to hold the side spkrs on top & the front columns will match the total height of the rear (including the spkrs). The front middle section is in a 1st reflection point, so will stack mineral wool in there and cover everything with GOM Ahchorage Onyx... then laminate the sides with Wilsonart black. attachment of the fabric coverd frame with magnets... thusley...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then i started on the riser... I planned the "angled" wings on the front to have a backstop for the front seats to be angled toward the center of the screen. Also a Clark Platinum TST on the riser wired through the floor back to the eq room. I will try ONE tst for now, but framed for additional in future if neccessary.... & will sit on isolation pads... Here is the plan...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
total height was to be 8 1/2"... but the pads are getting squashed & it is more like 8". insulated... carpet/pad... rope light under the lip of the 3/4" ply top. Framed in garage & brought upstairs for remaining construction...

top..

bottom...

flipped back over & plyed...

TST...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lone TST actually worked out pretty good... plenty of power from the amp to shake it up... haven't tried since carpeted though.... {meow}...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really wanted to feaux paint (walls)... wife fought it!... guess who won!?

ceiling flat black

walls Praline Cake eggshell

needed 2 coats of black, 1 showed roller marks...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what color do you see?!?!?! & yes, this is pretty accurate as to what it looked like...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We can't do with MUSTARD!... was supposed to be a goldish brown... so now we're going to go with my original plan... FEAUX! {yeah}

layering over with a feaux "Mississippi Mud" turned out pretty nice...

light touch of this..

now looks like this... (better actually... reduction in light is beginning to effect photos)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will load more pics tomorrow... i've had it for tonight.... thanks for listening!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Looking real good. What type of seats did you get? Also, did you fill the PVC pipes with anything? Great ideas!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, tell us about those seats. I am especially interested in the set you have in the first picture. The sporty looking ones.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks tradewinds... the seats are the comfort II from theater comfort... previously called theater max. this was the old ad... http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...552&class&3&4&

pretty ok for the price.

The only wood rod i could find was a 1" diameter, it was too small for the radius... so i screwed that in the front of the column frame & left about a 1/4" gap to the frame plate edge... slid on the pipe.... worked pretty good!

LOL... Shock... the sporty ones were on sale at some generic chain furniture store (The roomstore maybe) in Austin. They are "video chairs" & were around $160 each... they are very light & can pull into the HT for overflow seating.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Looking good. I really like how the color worked out on the walls.

Keep up the good work...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts