AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some things you may want to consider...

Here's my 10 Commandments of Projector Buying

1. How big do you want your image?(how much resolution for projector, and how bright is the bulb)

2. What's the environment your putting it in? (light, noise etc)

3. Product cost/Operating cost? (bulbs, service, etc)

4. What signal will be feeding it? (DVD, HDTV, NTSC, scaler, HTPC etc)

5. Can you live with the problems associated with the specific projector, or Technology? (LCD, DLP, D-ILA)

6. What other equipment is compatable with it? (connections etc.)

7. Can add ons improve the picture? (lenses, software, calibration?)

8. Do other people have this projector? (help, advise, and easly resale someday)

9. Wife factor!! (will others know how to operate it?)

10. Will this projector satisfactorily feed your ego?

[This message has been edited by Tryg (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think what would be useful would be a consolidated discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of each format so that when someone goes to audition each of them, they know what to look for.

I know that for a long time I was leaning towards LCD, but now, with the new six segment color wheel, I will probably be purchasing a DLP. Now that the rainbow effect has been fixed, it would appear to promise all of the upside of the new 16:9 LCD's without the screen door.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Once there was a guy named Nicolas. Looking for the right answer !!!

I have read pages op and down on this forum, about the things that make LCD the nr.1, The things that make DLP nr.1 and last but not least..the things that make D-ILA nr.1. Now i'm looking for a projector in the max class of $2,5K and have found LCD's that sound good, and DLP's that sound good. But i have a big problem choosing what kind i want....DLP, LCD ore D-ila. First i dont want to be able to see pixels....soo thats were the DLP comes in, but then there just might be the "rainbow effect" (Anyone...What is the rainbow effect???) and i like good sharp and color rich pics....soo thats the LCD side talking.....And some even say that D-ILA is as good as CRT.....I have had a CRT, and loved the picture, and would love a Digital projector with an image like that..

For you newbies out there.... here is a little info about LCD and DLP..

LCD

(Well i know it's dumb, but some one might just want to know)LCD stands for liquid crystal display and comes in many forms, sizes, and resolutions. Its primary purpose is to present a digital image for viewing. A common use of LCDs is as a display on a notebook computer.

DLP

Digital Light Processing (DLP): The commercial name for this technology from Texas Instruments (TI): The technology inside is often referred to as either "micro-mirrors", or DMD: It works this way: build a few hundred thousand tiny mirrors, and line them up in 800 rows of 600 mirrors each. Now attach a hinge to each of those 480,000 mirrors. Attach each of those 480,000 hinges to its own very tiny motor! Power each motor with electrostatic energy! The motors tilt their mirrors up to 20 degrees at incredible speeds. This allows the mirrors to modulate light from a lamp, and send the "modulated signal" out through a lens, on to a screen. The most amazing part of DLP micro mirrors, is the scale of size. The 480,000 mirrors (actually 580,000 are used), hinges and motors are packed onto a "wafer" a bit larger than your thumbnail.

NOW !!!

All of you out there....it's time to give your opinion on the subject....What is the best buy !!!

Nicolas

*Once the owner of a Sony CRT*

*now the unhappy owner of a ASK impression 880 LCD*

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nic, are you just looking for random opinions or do you have a specific question?

If your looking to buy any of these technologies, this forum can probably answer any specific questions you have. However, if you want to know for yourself I strongly suggest you find a place to demo each of these technologies.

They all have their pluses and minuses, and prices are all over the map.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.