AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly restored this year, the French Fox/Pathe (partially funded by Scorsese) version of The Leopard easily outdoes the BFI/Criterion version.

The change in aspect-ratio is curious, so I'll need an experts' opinion on that
. Taken from an 8-K scan, brilliant quality.

Unfortunately French subtitles are forced on the Italian track. Disc is region-free. No English subs/track.

BFI/CRITERION MASTER TOP - FOX/PATHE BOTTOM

More shots/comparisons here.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I knew there was something wrong with the criterion version as soon as it started playing. It looked like they used some crappy software to try to fake some kind of grain structure. It just looked like so much electronic noise. It's sad that it fooled so many people considering all of the good reviews.

The Fox/pathe version above looks incredible. Of course I haven't seen it in motion so I have no right to judge (by the way that was sarcasm).

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Though Criterion apparently disagree

"As far the reason behind choosing the print that we did: we provided support to the restorers of the Cannes version, but our master was made directly from the original camera negative and meticulously color-corrected in Rome under the direct supervision of cinematographer Giuseppe Rotunno. For our purposes there was no technical or artistic need to work off the new elements. In fact they used our master for color reference. This new work was done to create proper 35 mm preservation elements taking advantage of the newest technology.

We're very happy that the Film Foundation continues to spearhead projects like this one, and we're looking forward to seeing how it came out. One thing we can say is that our QC staff thinks the Leopard may be the most beautiful Blu-ray we've ever made!
"

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Take that Criterion, Criterion-sheeple/apologists and certain trumpeting reviewers.

"There was no artistic or technical reason to use the new master" -Criterion

"One of the most beautiful Blu-rays we've released" -Criterion

"As for The Leopard, time will prove me right, if the newer 4K restoration ever makes it to disc. And if it isn't a significant improvement (which it will be) I will buy three copies as an apology to Criterion." - Me

Looks like I won't be giving Criterion any handouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe
I knew the BFI/CRITERION releases were pretty bad looking, but wow, mindblowing improvement. New one is one of the best transfers I've ever seen. Absolutely ridiculous amount of detail for 35mm.
I agree that it looks unbelievably beautiful, it's 8-perf Technirama though (technically 35mm, but still.)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby
Where did you get this from BsRoz? Amazon.co.uk? .fr? And is it called "The Leopard"? Or "Il Gattopardo"?
You can get it from a variety of French sites.

I got it from Amazon.fr - you can find it as 'Le Guepard'. Comes in a nice digibook too.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BsRoz
You can get it from a variety of French sites.

I got it from Amazon.fr - you can find it as 'Le Guepard'. Comes in a nice digibook too.
Anyone know of any cheaper stores? Amazon.fr shipping is so damn expensive, like 10 with VAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foughman
Looks truly amazing! A definite buy for me! I haven't seen the movie though, what should I expect - is it a good flick?

By the way, isn't this Terrence Hill in the middle?

Yes it is.

As for the film itself, it's a beautifully shot epic romance. If you like Gone with the Wind you will probably appreciate it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh criterion, caught in their complete bull**** again. Hey guys, instead of drudging up old overrated crap that no one wants to see, or making the films people do want to see but skimping on bitrate and masters, you should actually do it right. Good lord that is not even funny. Our QC staff! Guess they don't have any quality control anymore. How embarrassing. It's going to be a while before all these new 8k and 4k master become standard. By then we will be on to another format. But wait pay us 35 dollars for this total crap edition that we paid reviewers to rate highly! We seriously spent 6 hours doing this. Puts crap master into machine, takes out, puts into other machine, takes out, and finally puts into another machine. Guy briefly looks over major scenes. It's a go!

·
Registered
137 Posts
As a defender of Criterion, I knew deep down their transfer of The Leopard looked suspiciously bad even if I didn't want to admit it. These new shots look amazing. You could've fooled me if you said the movie was made 10 years ago.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftyeyes /forum/post/19595640

As a defender of Criterion, I knew deep down their transfer of The Leopard looked suspiciously bad even if I didn't want to admit it. These new shots look amazing. You could've fooled me if you said the movie was made 10 years ago.

Ol'Burt looks pretty good for someone who'd have been dead for 6 years if that was the case.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
The new transfer looks spectacular. Makes me sad to hear that Criterion was just spinning ******** about the release. I'm still a fan of the collection but I'll definitely not just take them on their word now.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/19596055

The new transfer looks spectacular. Makes me sad to hear that Criterion was just spinning ******** about the release. I'm still a fan of the collection but I'll definitely not just take them on their word now.

It was easy to see that Criterion's claims were bogus when watching "Il Gattopardo". Outdated transfer that was ok for its time but can't compete with today's standards. Criterion have themselves other titles that show it clearly (compare to their "Bigger Than Life" for example, an older film and only regular 35mm, but far better looking since it's a new transfer). The video noise and sharpening halos really bring the Criterion version down and give it a nasty coarse, electronic look.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does anyone know if this is the 205min cut? This new edition say it's the "longue version" so I guess it is. Anyone who can confirm? Since I'm not italian, or speak it, I need the subtitles from the Criterion-release (which I already possess). It would be a problem if the french release is 205min long since the Criterion is 185min...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Am I glad that I waited to get this and I want to add that I am extremely grateful that the film foundation made this possible!

I was just about to reluctantly order the Criterion when I heard about the new scan and immediately decided to wait until it was used to produce a Blu-Ray.

So now it is ordered and it will be here for me to enjoy just in time for christmas!

Regarding Criterion: I have a hard time believing that they did not know about the work that was done on The Leopard. If they knew about it they should have waited with their release. As mhafner has pointed out titles like Bigger Than Life clearly show that Criterion can do much better then their release of The Leopard (or PlayTime to name another disappointing release) and they must have known that in the case of The Leopard.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.