AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1398 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured this should be placed here in the general section, seeing as it plays both discs.

So, has anyone pulled the trigger on this puppy yet? Lets get the reviews and discussion started from owners and users.

Please keep this thread isolated to reports of the new LG BH100 HD Super Multi Blue Player only. Questions and comments related to those reports are fine, but find a different thread if discussions head into off-topic territory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can someone PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE explain to me what are the intercative features of both blueray and hddvd? I know everyone reading this probably knows the answer. I live in Brasil and I never saw a hddvd or blue ray in my life, but i may get the LG player when i travel to USA.....

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL /forum/post/0

Can someone PPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE explain to me what are the intercative features of both blueray and hddvd? I know everyone reading this probably knows the answer. I live in Brasil and I never saw a hddvd or blue ray in my life, but i may get the LG player when i travel to USA.....

For most HD DVD, "interactivity" means everything from the main menu of the disc, to advanced features such as turning on director's commentary, graphic overlays of storyboard, Picture in Picture, and even turning on subtitles and modifying audio settings. So a lot is at stake for a player which does not know how to properly read and interpret all of this data.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My LG "combo" player arrived today. It arrived so quickly from BB none of the DVDs I order have arrived yet so I can't test out HD DVD or Blu-ray. I'll get a disc tomorrow. I have played SD DVDs and they look fine (HDMI 1080i). The Ethernet port is labeled "Service" and the manual states "Reserved for authorized service purposes" -- I plugged it into my LAN and it has signals.

There is no HD DVD logo to be found... just "HD DVD".

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffshome /forum/post/0

My LG "combo" player arrived today. It arrived so quickly from BB none of the DVDs I order have arrived yet so I can't test out HD DVD or Blu-ray. I'll get a disc tomorrow. I have played SD DVDs and they look fine (HDMI 1080i). The Ethernet port is labeled "Service" and the manual states "Reserved for authorized service purposes" -- I plugged it into my LAN and it has signals.

There is no HD DVD logo to be found... just "HD DVD".

What does the manual say about playing HD-DVD's?

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can find the manual here:

http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

Click Owner's Manuals

Under model enter BH100

The manual does not say much about playing HD DVD or Blu-ray:

Using the HD DVD with iHD features

You can change title number, scene number, etc

using the HD DVD menu.

1. Press DISC MENU or TITLE during HD DVD

playback.

The menu will appear.

Note:

The above HD DVD menu is displayed only

when an HD DVD disc with iHD features is

playing.

2. Use the buttons to select an option, then

press ENTER.

The sub options will appear.

Play / Pause - Starts playback / pauses

playback.

Title - Selects a title on a disc.

You cannot select a title whose number is

shown a gray color because the title is

recorded with black by contents providers.

It is normal.

Scene - Selects a scene in a title.

Subtitle - Selects a subtitle language.

Audio - Selects an audio language, for

playback only.

3. Use the buttons to select a sub option,

then press ENTER to acknowledge the selection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jeff,

You mentioned that "I have played SD DVDs and they look fine (HDMI 1080i)". How do they look compared to being played on a "normal" DVD player? I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not this unit will make normal DVDs look significantly better.

I'm sitting on the fence when it comes to buying one of these. I'm really waiting for the classics to come out in HD (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc...). If the BH100 improved the quality of my current collection, I'm might be swayed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here are some screen shots of the BH100 and a SD DVD player (Sony DVP-NS700P). The main difference is in the black levels and a little sharper but the sharpness is probably due to going from component on the SD player to HDMI on the LG. The SD player was at 480p and the LG was at 1080i. The screen shots are from a 50" Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY.

The SD photos are first followed by the LG photos. The LG photos have the pause button in the frame.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The next photos are the menus for an HD DVD disc. These are from MI:3 and Batman Begins. There is no Disc Menu or Title Menu so it's hard to figure out what bonus features are present. But if you can find the right title and scene the bonus material will play. Disregard the color shift in the photos... it's just my camera.

1 - 20 of 1398 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.