AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not believe that there isn't a single thread dedicated to this fantastic show. We are in the second season and it keeps on rolling along. After Modern Family, this has to be the funniest show on television.

If you've seen it, discuss. If you haven't, go now. Watch.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
My brother said the same thing. I've never heard of this, did not pay too much attention?

My brother says it's a great show. Need to check it out myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your brother is a bright man. I can see some people not enjoying the type of humor in this show, but I'd think that if you like stuff like Modern Family, the office, Sunny, etc, you'd like this.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I've been following this show since its first airing, and not a single sketch has disappointed me yet.

My favorite character is Stu, mostly because I used to know someone just like him.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I just discovered The Life and Times of Tim in the last month or so. I caught one or two episodes as they aired on HBO and just had to check out the rest of the season On Demand. I was not disappointed. Steve Dildarian's dry, matter-of-fact delivery (as Tim) is perfect and often laugh out loud hilarious. The situations and the storylines have a sort of Curb feel to them. I really would like to pick up the first season, but it only has a DVD release out. If I know a show aired in HD, it's hard for me to settle for anything less than Blu-ray.

·
Registered
70,679 Posts
TV Notes
Change Of Heart: HBO Picks Up Animated Comedy 'Life & Times Of Tim' For Season 3

By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com's TV Editor - August 16th, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: The summer of TV resurrections continues with a third-season pickup of The Life & Times Of Tim at HBO. The 10-episdode order of the MRC/Good Humor TV-produced animated comedy comes 2 months after HBO cancelled the underrated series by Steve Dildarian. At the time, MRC took the project to Comedy Central, Adult Swim and TBS. Tim, about a guy who finds himself in increasingly awkward situations at work and at home, has been a cult favorite and a popular series among comedy writers. It started off as a 2007 pilot at Fox produced by Warner Bros. TV and studio-based Good Humor TV. MRC eventually took over the project and set it up at HBO with a 10-episode order. The second season of Tim, which was executive produced by Dildarian, Leynete Cariapa, Mike Clements, Jimmy Miller and Tom Werner, ran in a block with another MRC-produced animated comedy series, freshman The Ricky Gervais Show, which also has been renewed.

With its happy ending, the story of Life & Times joins the June series pickup by A&E of Breakout Kings, a drama pilot that was passed on by Fox in May. Then in July, CBS and 20th TV reached a deal for a midseason series order to drama pilot Chaos after the two sides' negotiations had broken off and the options on the actors had expired.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/hbo-...-for-season-3/

·
Registered
70,679 Posts
TV Notes
The Strange Second Life of The Life and Times of Tim'

By Dave Itzkoff, The New York Time's 'Arts Beat' Column - August 18th, 2010

A few weeks ago, Steve Dildarian appeared to be as down-and-out as the perpetually troubled protagonist on his HBO animated series The Life and Times of Tim. That was way back in June, when the network told him it would not be picking up a third season of that cartoon comedy, on which he serves as creator, writer, producer and the voice of its title character.

Then, before Mr. Dildarian had time to gather his belongings or shop the show to another network, HBO reversed course and told him a few days ago that The Life and Times of Tim would be resurrected for Season 3.

So why the sudden reversal of fortune?

Honestly, I don't know, Mr. Dildarian said in a phone interview late Tuesday. Sometimes I'm the last to know these things.

Mr. Dildarian, a former advertising copywriter, certainly remembers the talk he had with HBO executives at the start of the summer, when they said they would not be renewing Tim, about a perpetual loser who is always trying to talk himself out of embarrassing situations. (For an example, consult the title of the 2008 pilot episode, Angry Unpaid Hooker.)

Recalling the conversation, Mr. Dildarian said, It sounded like a genuinely tough decision and not something they were entirely wanting to do. It just didn't seem to fit in with their schedule or their long-term plans.

HBO did not immediately reply to a request for comment, but Mr. Dildarian said the network was always supportive of his show. They seemed to believe in it, he said, right until the day they canceled it. (Update: in an email message, Mike Lombardo, president of HBO programming, wrote, This show has a passionate fan base both in terms of viewers and within the company. We were convinced that Tim' should be part of our plans for 2011. We couldn't be more excited.)

When the cancellation was announced, Mr. Dildarian said, he heard from a lot of vocal supporters who hoped to see Tim back on the air, whether they were civilian fans of the show, or some of the prominent entertainment industry figures who serve as producers on the series, including Jimmy Miller, who also manages Judd Apatow and Will Ferrell, and Tom Werner, who was an executive producer of The Cosby Show and Roseanne. (Additionally, the studio Media Rights Capital, which produces Tim, also produces the HBO animated series The Ricky Gervais Show.)

Mr. Dildarian said if he had to guess what factors contributed to HBO's change of heart, I'd say it was probably some of that, all combined.

Now that his show has come back from the dead, Mr. Dildarian said he wasn't sure that this gave him license to be even more outrageous in future episodes of Tim.

I don't know if I would say I can throw caution to the wind, he said. If anything, there is a lot to lose now. It's not like this mentality of who cares, let's just go crazy. It's a vote of support, saying we believe in you - don't mess this up.

Given that it takes about 10 months to a year to create new episodes of the show, Mr. Dildarian said he hoped to get back to work as quickly as possible.

The last thing I need is more breathing room, he said. I've been sitting around for seven months. I'm ready to start tonight.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ref=television

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
It's good to finally have Tim back. The season premiere was hilarious. This show is so underrated. Anyone who hasn't checked it out really ought to give it a try.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
That sucks. Between the loss of this show, Bored to Death and Eastbound and Down, I have almost zero reason to keep HBO. Veep, Bill Maher and Gervais' shows are now pretty much the only reasons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts