AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most of us have come across some unusual web sites that offer some bizarre product and/or idea.

Most seem to be extreme fringe at the best vs. accepted concepts and thoughts.

I would like to start this thread so that we will all have some FUN and have a listing of these unusual sites.

I'll fire the first shot.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I didn't know that BRASS weights would sound better than LEAD weights...apparently LEAD causes a distorting and muddying affect.........read the testimonials. :D :D :D

HERE's THE LINK... HAHAHAHAHA SITE

PLEASE TEST "YOUR" LINK BEFORE POSTING.

AND BY ALL MEANS.....LET'S HAVE SOME FUN WITH THIS THREAD.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Resonate tweaking is fun...anything you place on, in, or under will alter the frequency response of the chassis. Placing objects on top pf a component is a band-aid for the problem under the component. Try isolating the feet from the shelf first. Felt is a good tool for lifting a component off of a surface. Different thickness will also have a different effect.

Alan

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chili Minora
Resonate tweaking is fun...anything you place on, in, or under will alter the frequency response of the chassis.

Alan
Thanks Alan

I agree....the mechanical vibrations that are [sometimes] present in components can be annoying.

And I'm sure that you, and most other people agree that the [mechanical] problem is easily eliminated by your suggestion and/or any other simple method.

What struck me funny with the site was...it suggested that there was a [mystical] mechanical benefit property of brass over lead.

As I read further into the site by clicking on the "what users think" tab [top right]...they continued by using the all-to familiar terms such as:

Transparency of sound.

Detail of sound.

Bass punch.

Musicality.

Spaciousness of the sound.

The sound just opened up.

Suggesting to the reader that there maybe a further benefit by perhaps changing/improving the electronic properties of those components. The suggestion was apparent to me.

THAT's WHEN I STARTED TO CHUCKLE :D :D :D

In fairness to the site....I realize that alloyed metals such as brass are expensive...and the product has to be finished.....Perhaps they are a good buy!!!

But I think I will have to pass on these products. :D :D :D :D

brian

·
Registered
189 Posts
I guess I oughta get my new penny jar off my left front speaker...

It's a 57mm brass shell casing, about 18" high, and it's about 50% full...

The right front speaker has a little Buddha on it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Unless you apply something with a huge mass to it to the outercase of a component, then it WILL vibrate/resonate and produce some kind of effect to the sound.

Now whether or not that effect is BIG enough for you to hear... well that is another question.

I wouldn't use a jar of coins as it might well have atendency to rattle, but relatively light weights placed on top can have a beneficial effect.

What you are paying for with these (IMO) rather lovely looking weights is the finish.

Just as you are with mmmmm furniture or jewellry(!!!??), and there is very much an element of the jewellry about hi fi and especially small tweaky things like these.

On my CDP I have 3 Vibrapods with large glass marbles in them. REALLY).

I have one over the spindle, one over the transformer and one just where the output sockets are.

This isn't rocket science but I can hear a small difference with them. To be honest, on this player, the one by the outputs makes no difference but it looks cute!!!! But that position has worked on other players.

These damp vibration without adding much mass which I like as I am a light and rigid kind of guy (or at least I hope I am, my girl friend is laughing!!!!).

I've tried various things for this and these little objects are pretty good to me, plus I can alter whatever is on the pod to change the mass or I guess even the characteristics of that mass.

Chili, what would you suggest as a good way to damp the under case.

Dave Aiken, who I can never get to post here, has some interesting posts on Audio Asylum about using sheets of the plastic coated magnetic material used for fridge magnets for cabinet damping. It only works on steel cases of course.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dave c

Chili, what would you suggest as a good way to damp the under case.

Well Dave I can't speak for Chili.

But us Canucks just use the old tires off the pickup and lots of duct tape
:D :D

Anyone else have some unusual web site????

·
Registered
337 Posts
My girlfriend is a Canuck too, and I won't print what she said you could do with those!!

I have spoken to Dave Aiken this morning and he has a quite amazing design for a rack using 6 motor bike shock absorbers.....

He's away for a few days so I'll give you just a snip of the plan....#

Imagine an equalateral triangle (the base) made from mmm something, and sitting on 3 feet. Now in each corner of the triangle are 2 shock absorbers, leaning to the middle of the saide of the triangle to produce 3 pairs of shocks defining a smaller equalateral triangle above the first.

Fix another triangular something to the tops of the shocks and fix your rack to this.

Attach a heavy counter weight to the top triangle and allow it to hang right down at the bottom, lower than the bottom triangle.

The more you think about this, the better it becomes, although a long way from thought out enough to even begin to make, its based on the support for an electron microscope.

I hope I have explained it enough to let you imagine it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dave c
My girlfriend is a Canuck too, and I won't print what she said you could do with those!!
Yea!!! my wife said much the same thing.

She had the most unfriendly comments and suggestions when I brought those tires into the house.

I should have hosed them off first, I guess.

:eek: I had to flee for my life.

I thought that it was very imaginative idea.

What the heck are these things????? WEB PAGE???

For a $1000 USD they could be a great buy.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Wow, I thought this thread was going to be a lot of fun, but some of you guys are actually serious about this stuff! Whoa!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by brothermaynard
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...t/0403/ass.htm

The product we have all been looking for... It's the best thing since see through cables.
HAHAHA:D :D :D

Good one

If you were to spray it on some objectionable person could you make them disappear???

Maybe for a mere $1239.95 a bottle they could be a GREAT BUY.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus
Wow, I thought this thread was going to be a lot of fun, but some of you guys are actually serious about this stuff! Whoa!

SERIOUS!!!!! I DON'T WANT TO BE STINKIN SERIOUS!!!!
:D :D :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted this in another thread but find it strangely appropriate here.

Quote:
For my footers I went with a combination of triturated magnet, lead crystal talc, quartz dust, amber powder and standard silicone caulk. I mixed my fine solids before adding the silicone. These combined powders have an "energy" that can be tactually detected. I used a Pyramid Polarizing Cooker for proper curing. The cooker aligns the molecular structure of the new footer. During the cooking stage it seemed to surge and pulsate as the curing proceeded and I was fortunate enough to be watching when the elements energies coalesced. It seemed to sparkle as the footer simultaneously became more and more transparent. After being fully ‘cured' and settled into place they seemed to glow. Most impressive. I couldn't wait to experiment with these in my system.

Once in the system the glow continued and this becomes more pronounced as the vibrations increase. Their color changes with the music. Most of the time they are the color of one of those plastic yellow-orangish prescription bottles from any local pharmacy. When the music is at a high point they shift to a burnt-sienna and when the bass kicks into high gear they turn red. Quite the little show.

Sound

I found that my system seemed more relaxed. It is more polarized and has positive ‘flowing' feel. It's much clearer than previously with a noted crispness. The entire system seemed "tighter" and ‘locked'. I noticed that it has a "warmer" tone. It seemed better ‘sealed' with no stray vibrations and no ‘draftiness'.

Video

The picture is a touch clearer. I don't like the new "warm" tones and re-balanced the settings to correct this.

PYRAMID POLARIZING COOKER

consists of an individual muffin mold with a four inch riser, glass works best, and eight magnets. Four magnets need to measure 7.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches, these form the base. The other four must be cylindrical, 10 inches long, have a diameter of 2.5 inches and tapered at one end, these form the structure of the cooker.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by avnubee
I posted this in another thread but find it strangely appropriate here.

During the cooking stage it seemed to surge and pulsate as the curing proceeded and I was fortunate enough to be watching when the elements energies coalesced. It seemed to sparkle as the footer simultaneously became more and more transparent. After being fully ‘cured' and settled into place they seemed to glow. Most impressive. I couldn't wait to experiment with these in my system.

Once in the system the glow continued and this becomes more pronounced as the vibrations increase. Their color changes with the music. Most of the time they are the color of one of those plastic yellow-orangish prescription bottles from any local pharmacy. When the music is at a high point they shift to a burnt-sienna and when the bass kicks into high gear they turn red. Quite the little show.
HEHEHEH....It kind reminds you of the effects that were chemically available during the 60's and 70's:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What the heck are these things?????

HAS ANYONE TRIED THEM????

WEB PAGE???

For a $1000 USD they could be a great buy.:D

·
Registered
521 Posts
The most extreme items I've come across have to be from P.W.B. Electronics. Here's the product list, and expect to spend some time taking it all in:

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/product/product.html

For example consider the "Red 'x' Co-ordinate Pen":

Quote:
... possesses the special ingredient of manipulating modern material to form the basic pure energy pattern that readily interacts with the human 'observer'.
You can apparently improve the sound of a CD or record by using this pen to write your name in an affirmative way on the outside jacket.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.