AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 1109 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
this tech is so good the testing equipment is on the limits of what can even be tested. everyone should at least try to listen/demo.

The AHB2 uses the new and revolutionary THX-patented AAA™ technology to virtually eliminate all forms of distortion. This technology uses feed-forward error correction to eliminate the distortion that is normally produced by the output stage. No other audio amplifier comes close to delivering the clean, quiet, and robust power of the AHB2.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
RF is a totally different beast ..If high enough RF needs hollow pipes called waveguides to propogate. For non RF, Ohms law is accurate enough. And you if don't think that there is no current flow in non RF, it current that kills, not voltage.
EM theory applies to low frequency also. The wavelength of audio frequency is so long that most structures are way way smaller than 1/20 of wavelength and thereby can be approximate as discrete element instead of distribute elements like we talked about modelling the line as an inductor. Audio signal and any electrical are propagate as EM wave, not by real electrons moving. If it is by movement of electrons, the signal will take forever to go from one end of the cable to the other end.

No, EM wave not only travels in hollow waveguide, you can have guided wave through coax, parallel plate transmission lines, strip lines, micro strips ( in another words, any pcb traces), or even a line in air ( earth as return).

For audio frequency, ohm's law is accurate enough, but it's not universal. But like in the article that people miss used and talk about the cracks nd electrons movement.

Current is not flow by movement of electrons in the conductor, it's the curl of H = J + dD/dt( I use d for partial differentiation) that cause surface current movement. It has been described in books particular "Fields and Waves Electromagnetics" by David Cheng 2nd edition page 430. The equation is Ampere's circuital law.

All the crosstalk, coupling, noise induction are ALL EM effect.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Below .5% THD is considered inaudible (might be .01 % must dig up that article but either ways its not as low as these amps you like ). You're paying extra money for things you can't hear.

I bet the different, from my experiment, the lower the THD, the clearer the sound. It's not like you hear the symbol sound better or different, it's the overall. One very distinct difference between my amps that has THD below 0.006% worst, one is 0.0025%, compare to the Acurus and PA-7 is the sense of quietness, separation and the 3D effect.

To me, it makes sense, it's the IM that comes into play. You can see even in 2 tone test that show in an amp with distortion, you get side band of f1+/-f2, 2f1+/-f2, 2f2+/-f1, 3f1+/-2f2............. Imagine a complex audio signal with thousands of sine waves intermixed together. It literally forms a noise floor correlated with the music. Without that, it gives the sense of quietness.

AND that's what I've been talking about the speaker cable. For amps that are 0.05%THD up, distortion caused by extra impedance of cable is not important. If you have an ultra low distortion amp like mine, the cable is just as important as the amp.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
One very distinct difference between my amps that has THD below 0.006% worst, one is 0.0025%, compare to the Acurus and PA-7 is the sense of quietness, separation and the 3D effect.
Your amps only have 3D? Mine are better: 4D. . . . I measured it with a dimensionalitometer. :p

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Your amps only have 3D? Mine are better: 4D. . . . I measured it with a dimensionalitometer. :p
I wish you live close by and come and listen. Then you can apply all the ABX and DBT and see what happens. Talk is cheap, listening is the key.

That will be interesting that one from pure engineering join force with one measure audio to the nth degree. I really think together, we can settle a lot of questions for once.

You have your instruments to measure the acoustic, I have my instrument to measure the electronics. I really think if we see some interesting things, I can work on the electronics to explain it.

As much as we disagree, you should know I am very anti snake oil........even thought I kept trying to sell my snake brand stuffs here!!!! Everything has to have an explanation.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
this tech is so good the testing equipment is on the limits of what can even be tested. everyone should at least try to listen/demo.
The AHB2 uses the new and revolutionary THX-patented AAA™ technology to virtually eliminate all forms of distortion. This technology uses feed-forward error correction to eliminate the distortion that is normally produced by the output stage. No other audio amplifier comes close to delivering the clean, quiet, and robust power of the AHB2.
I am doing the exact thing in my 4th amp, I am at the process of bringing it up. Simulation looked promising, but we'll see. I am kind of nervous and keep dragging it, it would be very disappointing if it doesn't show improvement.

This is not a new idea, I just implement it in a different way to see whether I can make a difference.

Reactions: torii

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
I wish you live close by and come and listen. Then you can apply all the ABX and DBT and see what happens. Talk is cheap, listening is the key.
I agree listening is key but using only the ears, not the eyes, and only once the volumes are matched [by instrumentation] or it isn't a fair test: just like comparing Coke to Pepsi but served at different temperatures [say, one chilled and the other at room temperature] isn't a valid test.

Reactions: Out-Of-Phase

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Reactions: Actionable Mango

·
Banned
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #452 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
John Risch and his silly cable and AC power trinkets!

John Risch is no EE either. Check it out, his bio is online. He once shortly worked at a now defunct company called Lenco which made bargin proceed TV broadcast gear. (Stuff was OK). He thinks that qualifies him as a video expert.

Perhaps that is the wrong person as his name is Jon, not John.Check out his two conference papers at AES. His bio there states JMR enterprise in 1992 and by 1998 Peavy Electronics.
Linkedit shows this:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-risch-91705a40.
He is an audio goldenear. Don't think he ever talked about video.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Perhaps that is the wrong person as his name is Jon, not John.Check out his two conference papers at AES. His bio there states JMR enterprise in 1992 and by 1998 Peavy Electronics.
Linkedit shows this:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jon-risch-91705a40.
He is an audio goldenear. Don't think he ever talked about video.

That's the jon risch that pushed the crazy idea of crystal fracture in the other article? Did you read my reply? He is NOT an EE. This is the quote in his Link In that he is:
Transducer Engineering Dept, Peavey Electronics Corp.
Primary responsibility is to design loudspeaker systems, including pro sound reinforcement, permanent installation, studio monitors, PA, etc.

As an avid audiophile and music lover I am interested in all things audio, especially loudspeakers, psycho-acoustics, and signal transfer issues.

Specialties: Speaker system design, with special focus on crossover filter design and refinement, and transducer analysis and development.

which part that said he know electronics AND on top, Electromagnetics? In you article about fracture crystal and all, that's an ignorant talk a NON EE that learn a little bit of electronics will say. He must be an EE dropout after the 2nd year.

AND his previous job was working for a DISH WASHER company. Now that's sophisticated electronics!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's why I asked him what kind of scientist/engineer he is first. I am not surprised he does not respond.
Certainly I do not respond ... to join those merely trolling with snide remarks. But just for the record, I´m a Master of Information Science in Digital Audio Processing, also M AES , M IEEE with extensive and eclectic research experience from AI through high energy physics, plus over 40 years experience in DIY audio and electroacoustics. No further comment necessary!

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Certainly I do not respond ... to join those merely trolling with snide remarks. But just for the record, I´m a Master of Information Science in Digital Audio Processing, also M AES , M IEEE with extensive and eclectic research experience from AI through high energy physics, plus over 40 years experience in DIY audio and electroacoustics. No further comment necessary!
Ok, elaborate why you post that on the first place. I am all ears.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts

AND his previous job was working for a DISH WASHER company. Now that's sophisticated electronics!!!!
Or, was that R&D Design engineer at Discwasher INC. Not a kitchen dishwasher or company.
And, University of Missoury; EE curriculum, physics, circuits, biology.
Has a few patents, 5 that I am reading, to his name, good, bad or indifferent. How many do you have? How many papers did you submit to AES, good bad, indifferent? He has two.

·
Banned
3,185 Posts
Or, was that R&D Design engineer at Discwasher INC. Not a kitchen dishwasher or company.
And, University of Missoury; EE curriculum, physics, circuits, biology.
Has a few patents, 5 that I am reading, to his name, good, bad or indifferent. How many do you have? How many papers did you submit to AES, good bad, indifferent? He has two.

I published two papers in American Institute of Physics Review of Scientific Instruments.

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.1310339?class=pdf&journalCode=rsi

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.1144464

I own two patents

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7561438B1/en?inventor=yungman+liu&oq=yungman+liu

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8704074B1/en?q=Inventor&inventor=yungman+alan+liu&oq=Inventor+yungman+alan+liu

How about you since you said you are a scientist.

I just read the link you provided, in fact, I copied straight out from the link word by word.

You are scientist, you must have studied EM theory. I put in my explanation why he said about collision and fracture is bull. You can join in.

Now I know Audio Engineering Society AES. I was wondering if I have ideas on audio, where do I go to submit papers. That's good info. I am pretty sure American Institute of Physics doesn't give a hood in something about audio equipment.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
Legendary amp designer Bascom King on the Benchmark AHB2 amplifier, the best measuring amp he ever tested, and how it sounded sterile and uninvolving once he put it in his system:

441 - 460 of 1109 Posts