AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I made some more progress on hanging the second layer of drywall over the weekend. I finished the ceiling,  the back wall and started on the left wall. I have a stretch goal to have all the drywall hung by end of this coming weekend. We'll see... :)

Sorry, for the mess.  Hanging drywall gets very messy. 

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Quick update:

I'm just about done with hanging the drywall. My goal is to be done within the next week. I've been getting quotes on mudding and taping. So ready to move onto the riser and stage build.

Also, I've been eyeballing the 6050ub for my projector for a while, but right when I was going to pull the trigger I came across a deal on this badboy...

Wasn't on my radar because of the price. But man oh man... found the right deal at the right time. I'm super excited to see it in action!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Nice score!:D

Reactions: LLDaLastDon

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Drywall Hanging Complete!

So I am officially done with hanging drywall!

Next I cut the holes for the lights and atmos speakers

Finally, I can see!! We have LIGHTS!

I have also ordered my stage and riser materials. They should arrive within the next week. So in the meantime, I will be doing my last bit of acoustic sealing and chalking out my lines for the riser and stage. I'm also in talks with a few drywall companies to mud and tape the theater. If time permits this week, I will start building my crossovers for my DIYSG 1099s and HT-8s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice progress,

Question for you I know it's been asked before but I cant seem to get a concrete answer.
What kind of screws are you using? I've tried grabber screws fine thread and they don't seem to hold. Is Coarse screw the way to go?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nice progress,

Question for you I know it's been asked before but I cant seem to get a concrete answer.
What kind of screws are you using? I've tried grabber screws fine thread and they don't seem to hold. Is Coarse screw the way to go?
Are you referring to hanging the drywall? If so, I used 1.25" for the first layer and 2" for the second layer. That's from a thread I saw from Big.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you referring to hanging the drywall? If so, I used 1.25" for the first layer and 2" for the second layer. That's from a thread I saw from Big.

Yes I am referring to hanging drywall. I did read it was 1.25" for first layer and 2" for 2nd layer. Its not the size that I am lost on, it's the type of screw. I tried grabber light steel fine thread screws and they didn't hold. I can't seem to find the correct screw type shall I say to hang up the sheetrock. Sorry for the confusion..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes I am referring to hanging drywall. I did read it was 1.25" for first layer and 2" for 2nd layer. Its not the size that I am lost on, it's the type of screw. I tried grabber light steel fine thread screws and they didn't hold. I can't seem to find the correct screw type shall I say to hang up the sheetrock. Sorry for the confusion..
No worries. I used course thread drywall screws.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Typically use coarse thread when going into wood and fine thread when going into metal. Careful in metal it’s pretty easy to strip the furring or channel
I used Grip Fast Drywall Coarse screws from Menards and didn't experience any stripping. I believe their threads are a little finer than normal coarse thread screws.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Stage and Riser Materials Arrive

Over the weekend my lumber for my riser and stage were delivered.

I also started assembling my speaker crossovers.

I hope to start laying the chalk lines and building my stage and riser within the next couple days.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Man I can't believe its been almost 2 weeks since I've posted. I have had a lot going on and didn't get to sit down and post. So far I have completed the framing and wiring of the riser and stage.

Those stall mats are super heavy!!

Finished off with stuffing both with insulation. I decided not to do sand.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Long time No See

It's been awhile since I've posted... Life happened, but now I'm back at it.

Finished the Stage

Took a break to let the drywall crew finish the drywall. Then started the flooring of the riser.

Started and finished the bar framing and gaming shelving. Made it out of 2x4s and 3/4" MDF.

Started to work on a prototype of my columns. Turned out pretty well.

Next, started working on the spacers for the other columns. Spacers are being used to allow for space for the LEDs. Once finished the columns will appear to glow.

While working on building the columns, I order my subwoofer parts. I will be building two of the Full-Marty V2 with the UM-18-22s.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
More progress

I took a small break for the holidays but I'm back at it. I finished all of my DIY speakers and think I have narrowed down my colors.

I got all of the MartySub V2 Roundover Series pieces unpacked and started putting them together.

As well as finished off my DIYSG 1099s

I thinking I'm settling on the Tricorn Black for the ceiling, columns, chair rail. I'm thinking flat on the ceilings and semi-gloss on the column and chair rail. Going with Peppercorn for the walls. For the front of the columns I'm going to use the Slate from the Highbeams collection of GOM fabrics. The carpet is from a local flooring company. I'm about 85% sure I'm going with it.

Question: Has anyone used semi-gloss with Tricorn Black? Did you get alot of reflections/glares?

21 - 40 of 103 Posts