AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Your carpet looks like ours! Nice choice :) room is looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! My wife and I love the carpet. It turned out pretty well with the other colors in the room.

What is the distance for eyes to screen in you front row? I would love to do 160" screen, but finding a bright enough 4K projector may be expensive. What are you using?

First row will be 13' from the screen. I will be using the JVC NX7 as my projector. I got a really good deal on it.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
First row will be 13' from the screen. I will be using the JVC NX7 as my projector. I got a really good deal on it.[/QUOTE]

Is the front of the seats? 13' would be close for me. I could probably handle 14' eyes to screen. I have seen the NX7 in action and it is an awesome projector. It is very nice, but even a good deal would still be more then the wife would allow me to spend. I am hoping I can talk her into a refurbished 5040, but I like the Sony VPL-VW295ES Projector and it is cheaper then the NX7.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Is the front of the seats? 13' would be close for me. I could probably handle 14' eyes to screen. I have seen the NX7 in action and it is an awesome projector. It is very nice, but even a good deal would still be more then the wife would allow me to spend. I am hoping I can talk her into a refurbished 5040, but I like the Sony VPL-VW295ES Projector and it is cheaper then the NX7.

Yeah, I think distance from the screen is totally a personal preference. My second row will be ~ 20.5' back. Also, I've heard good things about the 295es. I originally was eyeballing the 5050/6050, but decided to wait and stack more money. I almost got the NX5 but the deal I got on the NX7 was less than the MSRP of the NX5. I couldn't pass on that with the extra lumens and contrast. If I got the NX5, I wouldn't have gone this big with the screen.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Weekend Progress

So, over the weekend I created my panels around the screen. Man, people aren't lying when they say it gives off an illusion that the screen is floating. It plays tricks on your mind when looking at them.

I also finally figured out what I wanted to do for the two hopper windows. What I did was create some light weight panels with some scraps I had laying around. I then wrapped them in triple black velvet (same as I used for the screen wall panels). Because these will be friction fitted, I added two earth magnets to each side. The magnets help me pull the panels out easy using my Magnepull and expose the windows. I had left over sound foam that I added to it to help with sound coming from the windows. Finally, I used some small gap sponge tape to seal any light around the edge. They turned out perfect! I can now get it absolutely pitch black no matter the time of the day.

I also ordered my chairs and they were delivered. I went with 8 Landmark seats from Fusion Seating. Both have loveseats in the middle with removable armrests.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
What made you pick Fusion seating over companies like Palliser?
The reviews and comments from this forum on the customer service and quality as wall as the options for modular armrest and other accessories. I like the option of having a loveseat in both rows and the ability to make them separate seats with the removable armrests. The price was competitive as well for what I wanted. I wanted powered headrests, recline, and lumbar support. The combination of all those with the price and included 5 year warranty was very attractive. Also, @rsh (Roman) has been great to work with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
The reviews and comments from this forum on the customer service and quality as wall as the options for modular armrest and other accessories. I like the option of having a loveseat in both rows and the ability to make them separate seats with the removable armrests. The price was competitive as well for what I wanted. I wanted powered headrests, recline, and lumbar support. The combination of all those with the price and included 5 year warranty was very attractive. Also, @rsh (Roman) has been great to work with.

I will have to the give them a gander when the time comes again. I like the removable armrest for the love seats.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So I finally found time to get the chairs down to the basement as well as mount the projector. Man this chairs are better than I imagined. They are so comfortable. This weekend I plan on getting my back bar finished. Let's see how far I get.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
@LLDaLastDon give us inquiring minds an update. How are you enjoying the theater?
It's ironic that you asked. I was planning to update with some pictures this weekend.

Me and my family have been enjoying the heck out of the theater. I have been watching all the MCU movies in order. Thor Ragnarok is next on the list.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
So, it's been a while since I've posted an update. During the stay at home mandate, my family and I have been using it to get away and feel like we are somewhere else other than home. Everyone that has gotten a chance to see it action has been blown away. I get blown away everytime I use it.

As far as changes since my last post, I finished my overflow back bar and installed the countertop. The countertop turned out pretty good. I used 2 layers of 3/4inch MDF. I glued them together, rounded the edges, sanded, and covered it with Epoxy. I also used the epoxy on the shelving. The shelving is used for my game consoles. I used the countertop kit from Leggari Products. It worked out and looks awesome.

I also ordered my door seal kit. I plan to install that once I finish the rest of my basement.

Finally, I ordered some more velvet to put on the ceiling to help with the reflection in the ceiling. I've been procrastinating on installing it. I am also working on my column lights to give off a LED glow.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Your bar top and shelves turned out great! I will doing my bar counters in a similar product by Stonecoat Counter tops hopefully next week. Please let me know if you have any tips to share.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Your bar top and shelves turned out great! I will doing my bar counters in a similar product by Stonecoat Counter tops hopefully next week. Please let me know if you have any tips to share.
I would recommend you plan to do it all in one day. I had some circumstances that didn't allow me to finish it in one day and I had to start completely over. But the process wasn't bad at all. My wife loves the metallic colors and the way it fits in with the color scheme.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Really, really well done build... thanks for documenting!
Thanks! This was by far the biggest personal project I've done and it was worth all the blood sweat and tears. I have a few small things left to do, before I consider it complete. I'll be sure to post updates of those and any enhancements I add later. Because we know a theater is never done, done.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
I would recommend you plan to do it all in one day. I had some circumstances that didn't allow me to finish it in one day and I had to start completely over. But the process wasn't bad at all. My wife loves the metallic colors and the way it fits in with the color scheme.

Good to know, thanks!!

81 - 100 of 103 Posts