AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Equipment and media area

Back when I was still in the information gathering stage, April 2016, I went ahead and bought the rack I wanted to use. This is a Middle Atlantic Essex RCS-4224:

I had ordered the rack, and a whole bunch of accessories, from customavrack.com on a Thursday afternoon and didn't expect to receive it for a couple of weeks. The following Monday I received an email with the tracking info from Oakharbor Freight, went to their website, and they had tried to deliver earlier that day! Less than two working days from SoCal. It then sat in my garage for 6 months till the room was ready to receive it.

Although I don't really need all that rack space at the moment, I'd rather plan for the future and not rebuild again. However, although I knew I would remove a folding door I also knew I'd have to pull both out and raise the header by 4" to get the rack in:

We didn't want to have mismatched doors, or replace the entrance or bathroom doors, and thankfully Jeldwen still sold the same model (the house was built in 2006, and the model name was still visible on the top of the door where the painters didn't spray) and in the desired height. I had to order from Home Depot, and it took 3 weeks to come in. I still need to caulk and paint, but here it is installed:

Previously I had 4 Ikea Billy CD racks for movie storage beside the closet, and these remain now. Extending the "rear" wall of the theater allowed me to embed 3 more in that wall:

The wood artwork from The Craft I found at a cafe in Portland, Or in 2015 and is called "We are the wierdos, Mister". The Craft has a special place in my heart as it is where I discovered Heather Nova (singing a cover of Peter Gabriel's I Have the Touch during the closing credits), whose music since has been a huge part of my life for the past 20+ years. When she played Seattle last year, I got to chat with her and we talked about that session among other things.

Every speaker in my room, and the projector is fed with conduit that runs from the equipment closet through a soffit in the equipment/media room, and then through soffits and the ceiling in the theater. For the front of the room and the projector, 2" is used and then 0.75" elsewhere. A single conduit is used for each pair of ceiling speakers, with two cables pulled through. The ceiling boxes holding the speakers are then connected with conduit and the second wire is then pulled through one box to the other:

Just this past weekend I was so thankful for conduit, as in addition to the Monoprice Cabernet HDMI cables that were already run I had need to pull a RuiPro fiber optical HDMI cable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I got pulled in by your post in the "What I would Do Differently" thread. Great remodel. There is an ending to this story, correct? I would love to see the "final" photos.
Unfortunately not yet. Between work, kids and making the common mistake of hanging the screen, finishing has ground to a halt. I have had all the insulation and foil for the acoustic plan since December '16 and all the fabric since last July. Unfortunately, I can't use my miter or table saw once the kids are in bed, and the weekend is mostly family time. We do all get to the enjoy the room in its current state though.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Back when I was still in the information gathering stage, April 2016, I went ahead and bought the rack I wanted to use. This is a Middle Atlantic Essex RCS-4224:

I had ordered the rack, and a whole bunch of accessories, from customavrack.com on a Thursday afternoon and didn't expect to receive it for a couple of weeks. The following Monday I received an email with the tracking info from Oakharbor Freight, went to their website, and they had tried to deliver earlier that day! Less than two working days from SoCal. It then sat in my garage for 6 months till the room was ready to receive it.

Although I don't really need all that rack space at the moment, I'd rather plan for the future and not rebuild again. However, although I knew I would remove a folding door I also knew I'd have to pull both out and raise the header by 4" to get the rack in:

We didn't want to have mismatched doors, or replace the entrance or bathroom doors, and thankfully Jeldwen still sold the same model (the house was built in 2006, and the model name was still visible on the top of the door where the painters didn't spray) and in the desired height. I had to order from Home Depot, and it took 3 weeks to come in. I still need to caulk and paint, but here it is installed:

Previously I had 4 Ikea Billy CD racks for movie storage beside the closet, and these remain now. Extending the "rear" wall of the theater allowed me to embed 3 more in that wall:

The wood artwork from The Craft I found at a cafe in Portland, Or in 2015 and is called "We are the wierdos, Mister". The Craft has a special place in my heart as it is where I discovered Heather Nova (singing a cover of Peter Gabriel's I Have the Touch during the closing credits), whose music since has been a huge part of my life for the past 20+ years. When she played Seattle last year, I got to chat with her and we talked about that session among other things.

Every speaker in my room, and the projector is fed with conduit that runs from the equipment closet through a soffit in the equipment/media room, and then through soffits and the ceiling in the theater. For the front of the room and the projector, 2" is used and then 0.75" elsewhere. A single conduit is used for each pair of ceiling speakers, with two cables pulled through. The ceiling boxes holding the speakers are then connected with conduit and the second wire is then pulled through one box to the other:

Just this past weekend I was so thankful for conduit, as in addition to the Monoprice Cabernet HDMI cables that were already run I had need to pull a RuiPro fiber optical HDMI cable.
Wow...I missed The Craft wall plaque first time around on your thread. I think I saw that movie over twelve times( not over exaggerating) at the theater when it came out ( Fairuza Balk fan) AND purchased both soundtracks to this movie...( Graeme Revell had one for it) Yes lets see the finished theater pics. Nice work!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks Darren! Unfortunately, no updates to report. The kids wanting to do things, other than help me feed wood through the table saw, have really cramped my ability to get anything done!
Glad to hear you'r still around! I can really relate to the kids wanting things. I am redoing my theatre, and I started when the kids and wife were gone. Got 14 hours of work done while they were away over the weekend. They come back and I've managed to squeak in 45 minutes over the past 4 days!

Darren

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ps: How big is your garage that you need to have the garage doors numbered? :eek:
Hah! That was the previous owner, though we've been in for nine years now and I've not removed it. Just two doors, and there is a piece of blue tape on the corresponding button. The builders wired the buttons in the wrong order than what seems natural, and I guess the previous owner thought the same and came up with this solution without having to replace the buried wire (which is too short to swap buttons).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hah! That was the previous owner, though we've been in for nine years now and I've not removed it. Just two doors, and there is a piece of blue tape on the corresponding button. The builders wired the buttons in the wrong order than what seems natural, and I guess the previous owner thought the same and came up with this solution without having to replace the buried wire (which is too short to swap buttons).
That makes sense. I pictured a huge mansion with a 12 car garage, and having to remember which door went with which button eg. I would hate to have to push the wrong button when I wanted the Lamborghini from garage bay 8 and I pushed it for the McLaren in garage bay 6. :)

Darren

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
That makes sense. I pictured a huge mansion with a 12 car garage, and having to remember which door went with which button eg. I would hate to have to push the wrong button when I wanted the Lamborghini from garage bay 8 and I pushed it for the McLaren in garage bay 6. :)

Darren
Or it could have been a pick-me-up for the previous owner before driving out to face the day :D

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Under soffit covers

I finally do have some updates! Preordering a new projector, and deciding to switch my screen material (to Dream Screen / Screen Acoustics / AVS v6) lit a bit of a fir under me to get this room finished. Of course work and family still fill most of my time, but while the kids are playing Roblox I can get down to the garage :)

I've started with building the covers for the undersides of the soffits. After these are in place, the insulation and fabric frames can then go on the walls.

The soffit frames need to be a total of 3/4" inch deep, and to make things simple I just bought 1x2x6' lengths of hemlock at Lowes. The 1" dimension actually measures out at 5/8" and so wrapped in GoM FR701 comes out at 3/4". The construction is simple, with just 6 pocket hole screws (using the small Kreg R3 jig), stapling using the Porter Cable upholstery stapler that BiG recommends, and then brad nailing to the soffit:

To complete this part of the project, I now need to build and cover the vent boxes for the HVAC - you can just see the pipe in the top right cover - and I can them move on to the walls!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Drinks and remote table

Back in January we trawled Wayfair, Amazon and local stores for a table to hold drinks. It had to be the right height for legs to get under while reclined, but not too tall as it would look or to use it would be awkward. The Deco 79 Metal Glass Accent Table turned out to be a great fit, and the movie reel design fits the room perfectly.

The underside is open, and so the charging cable for the Harmony remote cradle neatly velcros underneath.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I forgot to mention, that although the lengths of hemlock already had a slight non-square corner I did add a 1/8" round over (on 3 sides of each stick) using the router table to make it easier to pull the fabric while stapling. My wife and kids got me a router table for my birthday last year, which really made this quick:

Before cutting the framing to length I decided to finally replace the blade on my miter saw. I bought the saw 8+ years ago from a guy on Craigslist (seemed legit, he had a nice house not a parking lot deal), and I'd never replaced the very used Freud blade it came with. However, I just couldn't get enough pressure on the button that stops the blade from turning while undoing the blade nut (even after a few hours of WD40). The blade would turn and pop to the next position. Fortunately a clamp came to the rescue, and hitting the blade wrench with a hammer finally got the nut to turn without turning the blade!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great setup. Unless I missed it somewhere, did you talk about the Ci200QL in wall speakers for surrounds? If not, how are they? Did you put any backer boxes or insulation behind them?

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Great setup. Unless I missed it somewhere, did you talk about the Ci200QL in wall speakers for surrounds? If not, how are they? Did you put any backer boxes or insulation behind them?
Since I'm not building for isolation, I didn't build boxes. The two side walls are both 8" deep and already insulated, and I added insulation on the (interior) back wall. My thought was that since I'll be doing insulation on the walls + fabric frames, I could always cut the drywall and build boxes (or equivalent with blocking to make a smaller acoustic volume than the 9'x14"x8" currently) if I need to. Thankfully I haven't found that to be necessary so far. Maybe things will change as I implement the Quest acoustic plan for the room.

When I first installed the speakers, I wired them as L/R to test them and then play music as I worked on the screen wall. I was really impressed with how they sounded installed - I've had several Kef box speakers before, but these I bought blind as derivatives of the THX versions many on here are using in-ceiling. No regrets, and they blend very well with my DIYSG fronts.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
@dlinsley - The remodel came together very well. I like the new layout. Especially since you put the gear rack into a location that you can turn around and still see the screen. To me, that's very important to be able to do when calibrating, and setting everything up. Well done on that part of the plan.

Another thing I really appreciate, and I am sure others do as well, you had a floor plan layout before you began the endeavor, and it looks as if you updated as you went along. I can't stress it enough how important just having a simple drawing put together can help so much during the build effort, if anything, to make sure what you were thinking was going to work when it comes time. Again, good job.!

I enjoyed going through your build effort and seeing in come together. Well done, and I hope you and the fambam get to enjoy your efforts. Looks like you have some content there to re-watch with the new setup.! :)

ps.. looks like the garage could use some TLC ;)

Reactions: dlinsley

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I enjoyed going through your build effort and seeing in come together. Well done, and I hope you and the fambam get to enjoy your efforts. Looks like you have some content there to re-watch with the new setup.! :)
Thank you for the kind words. The family do love to watch in the room as it currently stands, which helped prolong the procrastination.

ps.. looks like the garage could use some TLC ;)
One thing at a time :) But yes, it's on my list. I have a bunch of GIK products to shift, and a lot of tidying to, but I'm trying to keep to my resolve to "finish" before switching to another task. If I do, it will have been another first time for everything moment!

41 - 60 of 82 Posts