AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 882 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blu-ray (23Mbps VC1) | HDTV (17Mbps MPEG-2)

Color differences should be ignored. More than likely, the broadcast slightly skewed them.

Broadcast scan
Blu-ray scan

More comparisons by Xylon: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...x-reviews.html

Edit: This thread has seemed to give the whole trilogy a bad rap. Two Towers is decent for the most part, although it suffers from occasional DNR like Fellowship, and Return of the King looks great throughout.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Wow. Is Warner actually paying someone money for their encodes?

If anyone from Warner is reading this: I could probably beat their price, just send me the master on a hard drive, I'll download x264, hit the 'blu-ray' preset, and let my computer chug away for a couple days and probably get something not easily confused (or make that "impossible to distinguish") with HDTV

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
You can't go wrong with those face shots. Some of those are much like the Gladiator syndrome .

Well, hold on to those broadcast versions of your LOTR. They are better.

For now I hope. I predict the Extended Edition will rectify the PQ issues

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
so what, now nobody will buy this crap. dammit, screwed up one of the few major releases people are looking forward on BD.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What am I missing, because I think the bd edition of those shots look better then the hdtv ones. Not much, but a little.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think it would be educational, if someone had the time, to use pointy arrows and circles to show exactly where the problems are and to label them by name (DNR, haloing, etc.).

To these non-expert eyes (using 24" iMac), LOTR is already so processed looking that I'm having a hard time distinguishing what's attributable to that and what constitutes a Blu-ray process atrocity.

But only if someone is so inclined.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18358766

so what, now nobody will buy this crap. dammit, screwed up one of the few major releases people are looking forward on BD.

They will still buy but they will complain later on why there is no free exchange program when the better version comes out.

They have been warned early for some of the atrocious PQ transfers here at AVS. They deserve that piece of crap that they buy in the first place.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
So not only did they take the exact same transfer seen for years on cable they made it worse with detail smearing DNR. We're supposed to buy this?

Fortunately The Two Towers and ROTK appear to be mostly excellent but there's no reason they couldn't have spent some money on getting FOTR up to snuff.

·
Registered
383 Posts
So what's the most likely explanation?

Did they use the older HD transfers instead of going back to the masters and making brand new ones?

Then again, didn't Jackson talk about the "new HD transfers" like several years ago?

Also, question for eric.exe, were those broadcasts 1080i or p?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Well that proves at least that whatever is the originating source there has been additional filtering applied to the BD. Wax Editions.

First Gandolf shot entering Bilbo's home is truly damning.

Fine texture in his robes are now waxy along with his face and the archway. -Forgot to mention his beard is also nerfed.

Thanks Eric.

Best Regards

KvE

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Flicking through ROTK I don't see any DNR'd scenes, looks pretty good for the most part.

TTT on the other hand, has DNR sporadically throughout like here, it's more often, maybe 20% of the total movie. If you are a big fan, I don't think those few DNR'd scenes are gonna ruin it for you.

TTT example:
next frame->

DNR or vasoline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei /forum/post/18358832

Also, question for eric.exe, were those broadcasts 1080i or p?

It was a progressive broadcast from Dish PPV many years ago.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Seems to be a mixed bag at best. I was hoping for a stellar result, but i'm not sure if it's realistic to expect one.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Some of these shots are an absolute monstrosity. Just look at the artifacting at Bag End...

This has to be one of the worst applications of filtering I've seen yet, at least Gladiator was consistently waxy.

I also wouldn't discredit the colours on the HDTV version, New Line has a tendency to boost contrast and reds(?) on their abortio... uhm.... releases.

1 - 20 of 882 Posts