AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
He's not directing The Hobbit, he's screenwriting and producing.

I thought the trailer sucked. Got M night shymalan vibes. But I doubt that Jackson will do anything that blows, so this might be good after all

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite /forum/post/16960727

I thought the trailer sucked. Got M night shymalan vibes.

Wait, you mean Peter Jackson has a hitchcockian, oops, shyamalanian (this one must be hard to pronounce when said fast!) cameo? Jaw-dropping, heart-stopping shyamalanian twist-ending? characters looking at something the audience still ignores, spielberg style? Aliens? Annoying kid?

.....nahh, I'm sure Peter Jackson will come up with something waaay better than this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Jackson really did it. He made a mediocre movie, it had it's moments for sure, a few great scenes and good acting and it's a damn good looking film but my guess it that it will be a big flop.

Who does it appeal too?

·
Registered
28,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite /forum/post/17862001

Who does it appeal too?

Certainly not critics. The reviews so far have been savage.

Apparently he spent $100 million on this. Why?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Rolling Stone liked it, but it generally seems if you read the book you find it lacking.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite /forum/post/17862001

Who does it appeal too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/17862208

Certainly not critics. The reviews so far have been savage.

Apparently he spent $100 million on this. Why?

The book was a huge hit and not one easily forgotten, but filming it would be VERY tricky...even for PJ.

If the film is a turn-off, don't let it affect a decision not to read the book.

I have...and recommend it to anyone that enjoys something different.

·
Registered
28,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/17863116

Rolling Stone liked it, but it generally seems if you read the book you find it lacking.

Peter Travers is kind of a quote whore. He likes any movie if he thinks they'll use his sound byte in the movie posters and ads.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I read the book and found *it* lacking, so I don't imagine I'll be seeing the movie until it comes out on video. The first part of the book was very imaginative and original, but about halfway through the author seems to get bored with her story and roams off on a variety of different tangents without bringing successful closure to the main story arc (except perhaps as an afterthought). Of course, I believe the point the author was making was that the closure of the original story arc (the murder) doesn't truly bring closure to anything meaningful for the family of the victim, in whose hearts the story goes on. So I applaud her direction. But in the end, I felt that her attempt to defy convention turned into a bit of a mess, IMO. Most of the book-critics (and many readers it seems) liked it, but I felt it was half a good book and half discombobulated character study.

If you're looking for a good book with serious artistic integrity, check out Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It's definitely not a conventional story, and at first it may leave you saying, "where's the rest of it?".. but the story sticks with you, and the writing is undeniably brilliant. There are some critics who are saying it's the most important American novel in the last 25 years, and I believe it deserves to be in the top 10 for sure. They made a movie out of McCarthy's book too (with Viggo as the lead), but I haven't seen it, so I am not sure how it turned out. There's no way they can capture McCarthy's prose though. That stuff just doesn't translate unless you've got the world's most brilliant cinematographer.

The difference between McCarthy and Sebold is that McCarthy is such a damned good writer that he could get away with almost anything.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Peter Travers is kind of a quote whore. He likes any movie if he thinks they'll use his sound byte in the movie posters and ads.

Interesting. Rolling Stone has proven itself contemptable more than admirable down through the years. I stopped buying it around 1973.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/17871648

I roll my eyes every time I see his name on a freaking print ad!

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Bluray.com review is up. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo...y-Review/9648/ and gave this a 5 star for video. Normally I would be all over this but as a father of two daughters this movie sounds like a downer and there is no way my wife is watching this. Sounds like a killer video transfer though.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/18443504

Bluray.com review is up. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo...y-Review/9648/ and gave this a 5 star for video. Normally I would be all over this but as a father of two daughters this movie sounds like a downer and there is no way my wife is watching this. Sounds like a killer video transfer though.

I read the book, and in NO way is it appropriate for children.

It ain't close.

But, boy, is it a great read for adults.

A book not soon forgotten...

I'll be renting the BD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's quite annoying to read so many bad reviews about such a stunning film. I can agree that there is a lot of CGI going on but it doesn't spoil the film in any way. During the scenes with Susie Salmon in "heaven" it definitely adds to it because after all it is all about her "perfect world"...it's not likely to be realistic. The acting in this film is spot on, especially by Saoirse Ronan. You begin to really feel for her character and share the happiness she feels at the end of the film. It's safe to say Ronan has a successful acting career ahead of her.

It doesn't happen very often, but this film touched my heart. I hope more people enjoy it as much as I did!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts