AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an LP350 owner and have enjoyed it for about 8 months. I throw an 8 foot image onto a grayhawk ultimate 4-way screen.

I've finally gotten to a point where I'm going to start auditioning other projectors. Why? Because it's really fun! As usual, I will post my thoughts with photos for the perusal of those who are interested.

I'm going to be working on a review template that defines repeatable steps so I can repeat the process everytime I perform a review. If you have any ideas, specific things you'd like me to look for, or even your own template, I'd like to hear about them.

The NEC LT150 arrives this Friday. I'm looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

--Les

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm interested in the light output of the two projectors.

In the dark, it sounds like they are comparable.

When there is significant ambient lighting (not enough to read in, but pretty bright), how do the two hold up?

At 800 lumens, the LT150 should be much dimmer.

Are either even enjoyable with the lights on?

This is a big point for sports fans that dont want to watch in the dark.

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Les,

Can you check a couple of overall comparisons:

1 - LT150 (S-vid) vs. LP-350 (S-vid)

2 - LT150 (scaler or progressive DVD)vs. LP-350 (S-vid)

3 - LT150 (S-vid) vs. LT150 (scaler/progressive)

I have spent quite a bit of time with the LP340 but found it to be too "rainbowy" and to have slightly-off colors. That aside, I really liked the picture through s-video, and I wonder whether I need a scaler/progressive for the LT150.

Thanks,

·
Registered
197 Posts
Arrow,

I'm VERY interested in your test results, as I've auditioned an LP350 and thought it was very good but maybe not good enough for me to give up my old CRT yet.

I'd like to know how the two compare for:

Component Video (both 480i and progressive)

HTPC via RGB

Light Halo

Brightness in dark room and some light

rainbow and/or jaggies

contrast

black level

white "hot spots"

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I plan on buying an LT150 next week and the more opinions on it the better.

-Dave

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Awesome, at last Les is doing me a huge favor. These two projectors are in my list for a while, unfortunately I can't see any of those here in Dallas. I'm looking forward to your report comparing the two or whatever you find and recommend. Many Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Les,

One more thing to check on the LT150. When I checked out the Sharp M10S I found that the S-video inputs were very out of focus (things like credits, etc. were hard to read). I realize it's not a perfect comparison since the LT150 is both XGA (not SVGA) and has the NEC magic dust sprinkled on it, but can you check for sharpness through s-video (and see if it improves through a scaler/progressive/htpc)?

Looking forward to your review.

Oh yeah, check out the aspect ratios and see if there is anything approaching a "native" mode on the LT150. I'd like to use a 16:9 screen with whatever I end up with if possible. I know the LP350 will do it.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Registered
222 Posts
Some of you might be interested in my post a few days ago about the LT150 I tried:
www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006108.html

------------------

Jamie

[This message has been edited by JFLNYC (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jamie,

Thanks for the link and the review. I'll make sure to mention in the review that my tests were with fully controlled ambient light (aka: none).

In general, I tell anybody who can't or prefers not to control ambient light to go with RPTV. FP systems do not perform well in lighted conditions.

--Les

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.