AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got the Mahinist as I read on DVDtimes that there is a pretty obvious lip sync problem on the Jap HD DVD import of this (English language track).

Just wondered what other users views are?

Also could this happen if you are using analogue instead of optical?

Thanks for your help - I really want to order this movie

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm the one who wrote the review you refer to, so I'm probably not the one you want to hear from, but I can confirm that the sync problem is present via both analogue and optical audio connections, and can also be reproduced when playing the disc back on my PC in PowerDVD Ultra via the Xbox 360 add-on.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles /forum/post/0

I'm the one who wrote the review you refer to, so I'm probably not the one you want to hear from, but I can confirm that the sync problem is present via both analogue and optical audio connections, and can also be reproduced when playing the disc back on my PC in PowerDVD Ultra via the Xbox 360 add-on.

Is that the only disc you have sync issues with?

Also note the thread in my sig.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

Is that the only disc you have sync issues with?

Also note the thread in my sig.

Correct - no sync issues with my other discs.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giger /forum/post/0

Please note that this film was shot in Spain, with actors of said country.

Looping/ADR could be the reason for some of the sync problems...

Everything is out of sync, including sound effects, and the dialogue of Christian Bale and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I should also point out that my standard definition copy from Tartan (UK release) is unaffected by any sync issues.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just watched The Machinist on my 360 add on and I encountered the same audio sync issues. I was hoping that nine months later and after some firmware updates it wouldn't be a problem anymore, but it looks like it's the disc after all. It's a shame the disc had these issues. I thought it was a fantastic movie and enjoyed it nonetheless. I can see how it would be annoying, though. BTW, this is the only movie that I noticed any audio lag or sync issues.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
for those who experienced the sync problem, are we talking a second or a tiny fraction of a second?

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP /forum/post/12869759

for those who experienced the sync problem, are we talking a second or a tiny fraction of a second?

We're talking about a fraction of a second - but not exactly a TINY fraction. If the delay was as long as a second, it's safe to say the entire film would be unwatchable. As it is, it's just annoying.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP /forum/post/12869759

I haven't watched it since Sept '06, but from what I remember it was only a fraction of a second but noticeable.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
so....anyone want to sell?

i love this movie, but it's $3 on DVD, kinda hard to make that jump to $50 dlvd for the HD DVD version.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Does the audio delay come before or after the Video. If slightly before a amplifer with audio delay settings may fix this. Although if after you'd have to find a way to slightly delay the video..

Looks like a great movie. I may pick up the DVD and risk the HD-DVD at some point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.