AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard soon from audio processors across the land. I think soon, maybe....

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Great news, Ken, er, M8B! :)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Crap!!! One less thing for the ESPN bashers to complain about!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy
Crap!!! One less thing for the ESPN bashers to complain about!
Not so fast. What if the levels aren't just right? Too much center / not enough surround / too much surround / etc. etc. etc..... :D

Mark

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
Heard soon from audio processors across the land. I think soon, maybe....

Kick. Ass.!

DD5.1 was the only thing missing from ESPNHD telecasts........

(well, other than eliminating the Bottom Line, moving the score bug to a less intrusive spot, and getting D* to work on the compression issues which creates the "fuzzy artifacts"). There, see? Still lots to b*tch about. ;)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
But I love circle surround!

J/K

This is really good news!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVwannabe
well, other than eliminating the Bottom Line
I'd love to see a sticky about that!!!

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast
I'd love to see a sticky about that!!!
There are more important things to complain about!!!

Such as why they started a second HD channel without filling the first with HD. :D

But to get back on topic....

Cool! :)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg28
Great! This is the one thing keeping ESPNHD from being on the level of Fox, MNF, and CBS sports!
and I thought it was their decision to do 720p, which is on the screen 100% of time...sound.? we need to hear crowd noise to the rear too...

I guess I'd rather have better picture quality.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Well since the NFL season is about to kick off, I'm guessing it will be launched for ESPN's first game.

Funny thing is that I just bought a new AV receiver. I almost could have gone for a SRS capable receiver just because of ESPN-HD. But there just weren't enough models out there that had it. Good thing I didn't push it though. It would have irked me to no end, if I'd gone out of my way to get one, only to see this announced two weeks later.

·
Registered
28,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGT
Funny thing is that I just bought a new AV receiver. I almost could have gone for a SRS capable receiver just because of ESPN-HD. But there just weren't enough models out there that had it. Good thing I didn't push it though. It would have irked me to no end, if I'd gone out of my way to get one, only to see this announced two weeks later.
You don't need an SRS capable receiver; ProLogic II has always done a fine job with circle surround. I don't know that a receiver with a "proper" SRS decoder would sound any better, but those who have it (are there any?) may want to chime in...

In fact, let me be a dissenting voice here just to play devil's advocate. DD5.1 on sports telecasts always seems to produce these little "popping" sounds from the surround speakers that sound exactly like raindrops falling on my roof. I guess it's crowd noise, but it's disconcerting and always makes me look out the window to see if it's started raining.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAB
Not enough hockey!

:D
You mean NO hockey.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The lack of Dolby Digital was the only thing ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD telecasts was missing that the other networks had. Very excited!!! Fantastic news.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma George
and I thought it was their decision to do 720p, which is on the screen 100% of time...sound.? we need to hear crowd noise to the rear too...

I guess I'd rather have better picture quality.
It's not the crowd noise in the rear that makes 5.1 so special, it's the isolated announcers in the center channel. Turn them all the way down and you'll feel like you're at the game.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.