AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the DVDs in this boxed set are anamorphic and good quality video transfers?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have this. Love the movies, but these DVDs are of unremarkable quality - not really bad, but not great either.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I have this set and I have to agree with lennyr, if you like the movies go for it. "A Fist Full of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" are not anamorphic and have no extras other than trailers and a booklet. "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" is anamorphic. It also includes 14 minutes of footage never-before-seen in the U.S., trivia and production notes and is in dual layer format so the entire film is on one side. All three are DD mono with no enhancements, it would probably take away from the films in my opinion.

Coincidentally, I went to BB to pick up a copy of the latest Harry Potter film today and they had "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" playing on their display. It looked pretty good on most of the large projection sets. If memory serves, this film was grainy per the director's desires so I wouldn't expect a crystal clear picture regardless of the transfer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer...

BTW, the individual "Fist Full of Dollars DVD is labled as anamorphic. The individual "For a Few Dollars More" DVD is not.

Are you sure that Fist Full of Dollars is not anamorphic in the box set? If this is the case, I'll buy them individually.

But I'll buy the set if two out of three are anamorphic.

Yes, I love these movies. But I'm really tired of all my classic favs being crappy, non-anamorphic DVDs. They look horrible zoomed.

I understand and accept the gritty look of the original films. That's part of the artistic quality of them. But zooming in makes grit look like bugs on by big screen.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If you've found a DVD release of A Fistful of Dollars labeled as anamorphic then the packaging is in error. There's only been one Region 1 release of this film and it is definitely not anamorphic. The disc only contains widescreen and fullscreen versions of the movie, the original trailer, and a "booklet" (really just the insert) with behind the scenes info. There is no difference between the individual DVDs and those included in the box set.

The only film in the Man With No Name trilogy that features an anamorphic transfer is The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. As a previous poster mentioned, it isn't the best in the world, but it's acceptable. Word has it that there's a SE of this one in the works that will feature a newly done transfer and some restoration of the source elements. No official word on a release date that I know of.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The restored GBU is going to be shown at the Tribeca Film Fest. This will include that 14 mins. cleaned up and re-dubbed, plus several scenes missing in the Italian print since it premiere. Although no DVD is planned, it is a safe bet that there will be one eventually. It will be shown on AMC next month.

The Japanese version of FOD released by Pioneer is anamorphic. It is a different print then the MGM and it is pretty good quality.

I am still looking for an anamorphic copy of FFDM.

-Patrick

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have TGTBATU dvd, and it looks quite good (not bad or ugly) on my 6 foot wide screen. However, there is one weird effect at the end, where the clouds start glowing. I have never seen anything like it.

Since this was the first time I had seen an Eastwood movie on a big screen, it was really fun to watch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.