AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 854 Posts

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
They already showed his face when he took the helmet off, they would never be able to do that again on the show without some fancy explanation for the change or just hope that the audience doesn't care.
We just saw his face for a few moments in one scene. I doubt anyone would remember besides a few hard core fanboys. He could easily be replaced and virtually no one would notice. Who does he think he is, Olivier?

·
Premium Member
35,427 Posts
They already showed his face when he took the helmet off, they would never be able to do that again on the show without some fancy explanation for the change or just hope that the audience doesn't care.
We just saw his face for a few moments in one scene. I doubt anyone would remember besides a few hard core fanboys. He could easily be replaced and virtually no one would notice. Who does he think he is, Olivier?
Absolutely, it was for but a few seconds, and as Arch says, I would bet that the overwhelming majority of the audience wouldn't even remember what he looked like. This role is easily recast, in fact, they could do mid-season and there wouldn't be any problem.

They could borrow from Altered Carbon and say he was in a different "sleeve" when he exposed his face the first season, problem solved!:cool:

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I'm not sure why he would have taken the role in the first place given that he had to have known upfront that he was going to be wearing a helmet non-stop and that his face was never going to be seen. That said, they could put anybody in that suit and the show wouldn't miss a beat, this is not high art, there are thousands of actors out there that could handle this role, and the suit and helmet just fine.
So I thought - based on the behind the scenes for Season 1 - that multiple people were already used for shooting in the helmet and costume (which makes this report even more curious - it sounds like he wants people to know its him). Especially for stunts.

I wonder if anyone's voice sounds like Pascal's though...I think that would be noticeable if it changed greatly

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
A show becomes a hit, the lead actor is overshadowed by a Child puppet ..

He's hurting, man .. really hurting ..

Cry me a river, I have to wear a mask in public places .. he gets to wear a cool costume and helmet, and gets paid for it ..

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #785
Very disappointing regarding Pascal - will be interesting to see what happens mid-way through Season 2 now - could they replace him? Ugh
I heard that the season will have an abrupt shift mid-way through S2...either they will use the footage that Pascal already filmed and spread it out over the full season or he will not be in a lot of episodes past the mid-point...the rumors are true from what I'm hearing (the usual skeptics don't believe anything unless it comes straight from Lucasfilm...it's 2020 people...and Grace Randolph has broken a lot of scoops in the industry...if you're under the age of 60 and a fan of SW scoopage a lot of people know her)...it's been floating around for weeks but the full story came out yesterday

I agree with Lucasfilm/Filoni/Favreau in that the character is who he is...you can't change that because an actor wants his face to be shown more...Pascal will not win this...the show and mythology already have an easy way of replacing him with so if Pascal opts out he can be replace with anyone from Boba Fett to Ahsoka Tano to Bo-Katan Kryze etc

·
Premium Member
35,427 Posts
So I thought - based on the behind the scenes for Season 1 - that multiple people were already used for shooting in the helmet and costume (which makes this report even more curious - it sounds like he wants people to know its him). Especially for stunts.

I wonder if anyone's voice sounds like Pascal's though...I think that would be noticeable if it changed greatly
Yes, multiple stand-ins were used when the scene didn't require any dialog and as far as his voice, it sounded to me like he was speaking from underneath a thick blanket anyway so someone with just a passing resemblance to Pascal's voice could easily step in and no one would be wiser. Most people anyway.

Again, if what has been posted is the real deal, what was he thinking when he took the role in the first place? Is it possible he wasn't told his face would never be seen? Doesn't seem likely.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
Again, if what has been posted is the real deal, what was he thinking when he took the role in the first place? Is it possible he wasn't told his face would never be seen? Doesn't seem likely.
I think what happened was the show took off into the stratosphere as far as popularity and pop culture in a way that no one expected...and baby Yoda aka The Child was getting most of the buzz...Pascal was probably feeling left out because almost no one was talking about him...so he got a bit jealous and wants to get more recognition...the role is almost like one of those animated roles where it's mainly voiceover so I never understood why they hired a 'name' actor for the role to begin with

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #788
‘The Mandalorian’ And Baby Yoda Win Big At Creative Arts Emmys

Jon Favreau’s The Mandalorian took home five statuettes Wednesday, on the third night of the Creative Arts Emmy Awards...the Star Wars spinoff started the night off winning Outstanding Visual Effects, which was the first Emmy ever for Disney+

from there, the series went on to win trophies for Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour), Outstanding Sound Mixing For a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation, Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation, and Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour)...

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I heard that the season will have an abrupt shift mid-way through S2...either they will use the footage that Pascal already filmed and spread it out over the full season or he will not be in a lot of episodes past the mid-point...the rumors are true from what I'm hearing (the usual skeptics don't believe anything unless it comes straight from Lucasfilm...it's 2020 people...and Grace Randolph has broken a lot of scoops in the industry...if you're under the age of 60 and a fan of SW scoopage a lot of people know her)...it's been floating around for weeks but the full story came out yesterday
The reason people are skeptical of this rumor is that it seems completely stupid.

Think about this from the perspective of the producer of a multi-million-dollar production that is enormously popular and a global phenomenon. Your lead actors gets temperamental and walks off the show. He plays a character who is covered head-to-toe 100% of the time and never shows his face. Even his voice is heavily modulated through filters. Do you:

A) Totally rewrite the entire season, change all the planned storylines, and write THE TITLE CHARACTER out of his own show? (Is the show going to be renamed The Mandalorian's Friends?)

or

B) Just put a different f'ing guy in the suit, which 99% of the audience will never notice the difference and the other 1% will get over it after one episode?

Which of these seems like a more practical or realistic solution to the problem?

Pascal may be the most easily replaceable lead actor in a television series perhaps ever. His on-camera role is already performed by stand-ins more than half the time anyway, and any halfway decent Clint Eastwood impersonator can take over the voiceover duty without anyone noticing.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
My memory is fairly weak these days, but I think it was David Prowse (Darth Vader) or maybe Peter Mayhew (Chewy) that always felt that they brought a certain gravitas to the character that they were never given the proper accolades for .. body language, screen persona, etc ..

I'm not really on Pedro's side if the issue is real, but artists tend to have an ego .. like I said yesterday, being overshadowed by a puppet, on some level, is rather deflating ..

On the other hand, always plenty of hungry out of work actors out there willing to sell their souls for a shot ..

·
Registered
20,438 Posts
My memory is fairly weak these days, but I think it was David Prowse (Darth Vader) or maybe Peter Mayhew (Chewy) that always felt that they brought a certain gravitas to the character that they were never given the proper accolades for .. body language, screen persona, etc ..

I'm not really on Pedro's side if the issue is real, but artists tend to have an ego .. like I said yesterday, being overshadowed by a puppet, on some level, is rather deflating ..

On the other hand, always plenty of hungry out of work actors out there willing to sell their souls for a shot ..
I think it was Prowse, since DV is associated more with JEJ than him.

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
At least Prowse did the majority of Vader's on-camera screen performance. The Mandalorian already heavily uses stand-ins to replace Pascal. This could be time for a promotion.

Reactions: mgkdragn

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #793
The reason people are skeptical of this rumor is that it seems completely stupid.

Think about this from the perspective of the producer of a multi-million-dollar production that is enormously popular and a global phenomenon. Your lead actors gets temperamental and walks off the show. He plays a character who is covered head-to-toe 100% of the time and never shows his face. Even his voice is heavily modulated through filters. Do you:

A) Totally rewrite the entire season, change all the planned storylines, and write THE TITLE CHARACTER out of his own show? (Is the show going to be renamed The Mandalorian's Friends?)

or

B) Just put a different f'ing guy in the suit, which 99% of the audience will never notice the difference and the other 1% will get over it after one episode?

Which of these seems like a more practical or realistic solution to the problem?

Pascal may be the most easily replaceable lead actor in a television series perhaps ever. His on-camera role is already performed by stand-ins more than half the time anyway, and any halfway decent Clint Eastwood impersonator can take over the voiceover duty without anyone noticing.
you underestimate the power of the audience to recognize and associate an actor with a role (even just by his voice)...look at The Simpsons as an example...

as far as the rumors...apparently Pascal's absence wasn't planned so the show would need to do a bunch of rewrites or at the very least change things around if all of a sudden Pascal decided to stay home mid way through filming S2...and I've heard for a few weeks now that there is an abrupt change in the middle of the season...doesn't mean that the 2nd half is bad...it could just mean that Pascal will be absent a lot more and the focus will shift to other characters...if you listen and read the things that Filoni and Favreau have been saying to the press recently you can see that they keep mentioning how other characters are going to get more screen time

“The new season is about introducing a larger story in the world,” says Favreau. “The stories become less isolated, yet each episode has its own flavor, and hopefully we’re bringing a lot more scope to the show.”

you can read that to mean different things depending on what you want to believe but I can see Pascal having much less of a role in the back half of S2...another reason not to just replace Pascal right away- things apparently could still be ironed out and he could return for Season 3...are you really going to change the actor/voice for 4 episodes and then go back to Pascal and hope that no one notices?...I think unless it's confirmed that Pascal is done with the show that you proceed as though he is coming back

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
‘Watchmen’, ‘Mandalorian’, HBO & Netflix Lead Creative Arts Emmys: Complete List Of Wins By Program & Network

All five nights of the virtual 2020 Creative Arts Emmys are in the books, and awards rivals HBO and Netflix came away tied with 19 wins apiece. HBO’s Watchmen and Disney+’s The Mandalorian came away with the most wins for an individual program with seven each. Check out the charts below with wins by program and network/platform, which also include the juried awards announced earlier this month.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Set up my new TV yesterday and decided I would break it in with a re-watch of 'Mando' .. :cool:

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
This is my 3rd watch of the show .. each short episode could almost be considered a stand-a-lone story ..

The previous commentary about Pascal and his 'show my face' feelings .. ?? The helmet and the Mandalorian "It is the Way" creed is reinforced consistently throughout the show here and there .. in fact, the helmet is kind of almost a side story within itself ..

I tried to pick a favorite episode in this Space Western, but that's a tough call to make .. the Farmers (#4, Sanctuary) I really like, also, #6, the Prisoner, where Mark Boone comes close to reprising his role on SOA .. .. hell, I like them all ..

And, that durn Child is just so cute, it's easy to see how it captured subscribers imaginations .. I hope Season 2 fills in a little backstory ..

Reactions: Ben23

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Doomcock has looked into the Pedro Pascal situation, and has some new information. (As you might expect, a man who calls himself Doomcock doesn't have any issues with salty language, so anyone easily offended should not watch.)

Summary for those not wanting to watch the whole thing:
Pascal was upset about being hidden from view, and started being difficult on the set, resulting in him either walking off or being told to leave at some point. Seasons three and four will be shot with someone else in the costume, and Pascal only providing the voice.

Of course this is all based on rumor, as was the Randolph report. The outcome does seem plausible, however, and would not be unprecedented in the Star Wars universe.

Scott

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
When IG-11 removes the helmet, it's maybe 10-15 seconds .. and Pedro looks pretty bad .. in a bad way ..

"I don't even know why you hired me to play this Mandalorian guy .. my fans never really get to actually see me .. Esposito gets nominated for an Emmy, he was in a piece of an episode .. I'll never get squat .. hell, the damned puppet gets all the attention ..

I was the great Oberyn Martell not to mention I starred in 'Narcos' fercryinoutloud .. what's the point in even showing up .. ??"

Producers :: OK ..

Reactions: archiguy

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #799
Giancarlo Esposito was not nominated for Mandalorian...he was nominated as Best Supporting Actor in a Drama for Better Call Saul

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
Giancarlo Esposito was not nominated for Mandalorian...he was nominated as Best Supporting Actor in a Drama for Better Call Saul
And should have won, finally. He's been incredible in that role for 8 years now. It's preposterous he hasn't won yet. Gus Fring is one of television's all time most iconic, complex, and enduring villains.

It's why I stopped watching or caring about the Emmys years ago. This sort of artistic injustice just drives me nuts.

781 - 800 of 854 Posts