AVS Forum banner

1381 - 1400 of 1452 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Watch Baby Yoda Jam With Director Robert Rodriguez on Mandalorian Set

I wonder if we have seen the last of Grogu for awhile on The Mandalorian? Would a Season 3 work him in, or would he lay low and then appear again in the inevitable Luke Skywalker spin-off?

The MAKING OF SEASON 2 is up on Disney+ in the DISNEY GALLERY: The Mandalorian series. It is one hour long and covers reveals and making of coverage of all eight (8) episodes of Season 2. This may be all there is for a Season 2.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Watch Baby Yoda Jam With Director Robert Rodriguez on Mandalorian Set

I wonder if we have seen the last of Grogu for awhile on The Mandalorian? Would a Season 3 work him in, or would he lay low and then appear again in the inevitable Luke Skywalker spin-off?
Hopefully he won’t come back like teenage Groot acting like a dick.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
So cool how he sliced and diced the dark troopers but the coolest kill was near the end when he used the force to crush that trooper, loved that part!
If you notice, Luke uses Force push a few times before that - but always with his left hand. For the final Force Choke, he uses his gloved right hand.

Choke is considered a 'dark' power, its not used by Jedi. Luke uses it with his 'dark' gloved hand, courtesy of Darth Vader, vs the usual force powers used with his 'light' hand.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
IMO it's not force choke on a droid, at least according to games like KotOR. Choke is only for living beings, can't remember what they called it for droids..

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If you notice, Luke uses Force push a few times before that - but always with his left hand. For the final Force Choke, he uses his gloved right hand.

Choke is considered a 'dark' power, its not used by Jedi. Luke uses it with his 'dark' gloved hand, courtesy of Darth Vader, vs the usual force powers used with his 'light' hand.
But do Jedis not do Force Choke because they can’t or because it’s against some rule? If they can lift an X-Wing out of the swamp they can probably crush somebody’s windpipe. And my take is he force pushed the Dark Troopers with his left hand because he was wielding his lightsaber in his right. He used his right hand at the end because that was the last trooper and didn’t need his light saber anymore. I am not up on SW lore, but I don’t think Luke’s gloved (mechanical) hand has dark powers.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The MAKING OF SEASON 2 is up on Disney+ in the DISNEY GALLERY: The Mandalorian series. It is one hour long and covers reveals and making of coverage of all eight (8) episodes of Season 2. This may be all there is for a Season 2.
I was hoping there would be multiple seasons like last year, and the roundtable discussion. I'm guessing Covid killed off that idea.

Unless I'm mistaken,
Kathleen Kennedy was nowhere to be seen in it. But George showed up twice.

I'll take that as a positive sign. :D

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I was hoping there would be multiple seasons like last year, and the roundtable discussion. I'm guessing Covid killed off that idea.
Good point. Didn't think of that. There probably isn't anything more against Covid-safe protocols than gathering all of your creative talent around a round table and having them talking and laughing at each other.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
The behind the scenes was very good - I was actually a little shocked they didn't touch on
Luke appearance
At all! Maybe that was such a tightly held secret, they didn't want a BTS crew spoiling it...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The behind the scenes was very good - I was actually a little shocked they didn't touch on
Luke appearance
At all! Maybe that was such a tightly held secret, they didn't want a BTS crew spoiling it...
I wondered about that as well. Unless they were concerned that some may view this before the second season or finale episode, since it came out just a week after the finale.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Mando has always been an idiot. He always leaves baby yoda with strangers and the one time yoda is doing magic yoda stuff, he keeps trying to interrupt.
I just remind myself it’s Star Wars; such things are part of their way. This is the way.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Interesting article posted on Variety, of all places, regarding The Mandalorian finale and one YouTuber's reaction video:

There are a ton of Star Wars YouTube channels out there, and they mostly go unnoticed by anyone other than fans of the series. For it to get the attention of Variety may be worth noting.

Regarding the last part of the article, rumors of internal disagreements between different factions of Lucasfilm have been rumored for a long time now. Hidalgo has been pointed to as one of the stronger voices on one of those sides, and in opposition to fans such as Star Wars Theory. If that's the case, it's not hard to understand why Hidalgo might mock someone on the other side of the Star Wars fence. Especially if he would be trying to influence those he had allowed to view his private account.

Things could get interesting if any of this is true.

·
Registered
16,416 Posts
I liked last years Roundtables as well .. don't know why they did not do it with Zoom or some such .. that seems to be the way ..

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I liked last years Roundtables as well .. don't know why they did not do it with Zoom or some such .. that seems to be the way ..
I think we are all Zoomed-Out by the end of the year. Season 1 of all that talent around an actual roundtable and reacting to each other was engaging. Not the same if they were all in Zoom boxes. Would have come off as the umpteenth charitable table read of the year, in my opinion. The one-hour 'Making of' was probably the best choice given the circumstances.

A nice addition to Season 1 and 2 of THE MANDALORIAN would be audio commentary tracks for each episode. Have Favreau and/or Filoni lead a discussion with the director of each episode and drop in interesting information and 'making of' tidbits.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Interesting article posted on Variety, of all places, regarding The Mandalorian finale and one YouTuber's reaction video:

I hope that the next edition of the OED adds the word "butthurt" and points to this controversy for example. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I hope that the next edition of the OED adds the word "butthurt" and points to this controversy for example. :rolleyes:
I thought that aspect of the story was the least interesting part.

Of significance is that Variety, not exactly known as a publication that caters to geeks, would even decide to cover it. It's primarily a trade publication, so where does it see the importance of the story?

Secondly, it points out to industry readers what many in this thread have stated, "The news was meant to capitalize on the near-universal goodwill engendered by 'The Mandalorian,' which has single-handedly helped to soothe the profoundly fraught and virulent fan reactions to the most recent Star Wars feature films, especially 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi.' "

The Mandalorian has proven to be both successful and a departure from the Disney Trilogy. None of the newly announced projects are based on characters from the DT. Has the success of The Mandalorian shifted Disney's focus on Star Wars stories and themes to those that are based on characters and situations from the first two trilogies, while quietly ignoring the DT?

And finally, it points out that there's money to be made by fans producing content for fans. While there have been fanzines going back the at least the 60s, how many of them were profitable enough for the publishers to make a living off of?

The "controversy" may be the point of the article, but not all that compelling.

Scott

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I thought that aspect of the story was the least interesting part.

Of significance is that Variety, not exactly known as a publication that caters to geeks, would even decide to cover it. It's primarily a trade publication, so where does it see the importance of the story?
The story is that a studio executive is openly mocking his own fans/customers. And it is far from the first time he has done so, although they didn't do any research on that. There is a reason his twitter is private.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The story is that a studio executive is openly mocking his own fans/customers. And it is far from the first time he has done so, although they didn't do any research on that. There is a reason his twitter is private.
Yes, it's not the first time for him, and he's not the only Lucasfilm worker to do the same.

Now the story has also been covered by a second trade publication, The Wrap:

Sometimes stories are news because they make the news. Maybe it's just because it's a slow time of year?

For a more positive story, Mark's happy:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

There are a ton of Star Wars YouTube channels out there, and they mostly go unnoticed by anyone other than fans of the series. For it to get the attention of Variety may be worth noting.

Regarding the last part of the article, rumors of internal disagreements between different factions of Lucasfilm have been rumored for a long time now. Hidalgo has been pointed to as one of the stronger voices on one of those sides, and in opposition to fans such as Star Wars Theory. If that's the case, it's not hard to understand why Hidalgo might mock someone on the other side of the Star Wars fence. Especially if he would be trying to influence those he had allowed to view his private account.

Things could get interesting if any of this is true.
I'm wondering now if Disney is taking the gloves off an going after the Kennedy faction at Lucasfilm. We had this article a couple days ago and then yesterday The Hollywood Reporter had an article on Mark Hamill's tweet yesterday in the above post. In it they bring up his issues with TLJ and Rian Johnson. It seems like too much of a coincidence that two different sites that usually tow the company line are now bringing up TLJ stuff. I don't think it's too much of a stretch for the Disney execs to look at what happened with the franchise due to Disney movies and compare that to the reaction the Mandalorian and Luke received. I'm really hoping it's a sign that we're going to see the Kennedy faction removed with the Favreau and Filoni team taking over.

1381 - 1400 of 1452 Posts