AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1452 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
"Connected at a very high level" means "I have friends who work there." This is third-hand information at best, and most likely just an outright fabrication.
I'm glad we can finally agree that this isn't fourth-hand information.

Despite the whining from misogynist fanboys who are deeply offended by the presence of girls in their precious Star Wars movies, the films Kennedy has overseen since taking the reins have grossed billions of dollars.
If you honestly believe that that's why the Disney trilogy is disliked by fans, we have a seriously fundamental disagreement. And a sad one, at that.

As to the second point, yes, they've made money, but did they hit investor's expectations?

I might believe that there's some friction behind-the-scenes between Favreau and Kennedy. That's not inconceivable. But the idea that Favreau plans to erase the sequel trilogy from canon to please the ranting morons on Reddit? No, that's just stupid. Zero chance of that ever happening.
Who knows? Disney waived their hand and wiped out all of the EU. Nothing prevents them from doing the same thing again. Especially if there is money to be made.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I'm glad we can finally agree that this isn't fourth-hand information.
Only in that you're telling me this Pasha person appeared in another video to spread the rumors himself. Looking only at the video that was posted in this thread, it is fourth-hand. Pasha isn't even mentioned in it.

If you honestly believe that that's why the Disney trilogy is disliked by fans, we have a seriously fundamental disagreement. And a sad one, at that.
Though they won't admit it, that is the fundamental root of the problem for most of the whiners, yes. Look at any rant on the subject and count how many times keywords like "PC," "SJW," or "libtard" come up.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
....Though they won't admit it, that is the fundamental root of the problem for most of the whiners, yes. Look at any rant on the subject and count how many times keywords like "PC," "SJW," or "libtard" come up.
What entertainment (examples, please) DO they like?

·
Registered
27,239 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Is there a reason why the same fans don't have a "girl problem" with Ashoka, Leia, Fennec, or Cara?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Only in that you're telling me this Pasha person appeared in another video to spread the rumors himself. Looking only at the video that was posted in this thread, it is fourth-hand. Pasha isn't even mentioned in it.
You must have watched a different video. Here's the point where he quoted Pasha.

In addition, Pasha has thanked Doomcock for the mention on his Twitter feed:

That would be odd behavior for someone that didn't believe what he was told.

Though they won't admit it, that is the fundamental root of the problem for most of the whiners, yes. Look at any rant on the subject and count how many times keywords like "PC," "SJW," or "libtard" come up.
I'll see your PC, SJW, and lbitard and raise you a Mary Sue.

My wife is surprised/saddened/amused/annoyed to find that she is now tp be classified as a misogynism for disliking the Disney trilogy.

But more seriously, ad hominem assaults on a critic's character isn't really an effective rebuttal of the overwhelming and compelling criticisms of the DT.

This will likely come down to a business decision. And investors may be concerned about the diminishing returns on ever-increasing budgets that they saw with the trilogy. Contrast that with the continuing success seen by the Mandalorian, and a case can be made for changing the direction of the franchise.

Anyone who's spent any length of time in corporate America knows that any of these decisions can change dramatically and almost instantly, so we can't really be sure what's going to happen until it hits the big or small screens.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Is there a reason why the same fans don't have a "girl problem" with Ashoka, Leia, Fennec, or Cara?
Leia was there from the beginning and she was part of the original trio. Ahsoka, Dune and Fennec are all secondary characters not directly connected to the final trilogy that haters feel ruined the legacy of the original trilogy.

·
Registered
18,930 Posts
Seriously? So one cannot simply dislike a movie because it sucked? Now there has to be a social reason why one doesn't like it? sigh That handbasket keeps picking up speed.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Leia was there from the beginning and she was part of the original trio. Ahsoka, Dune and Fennec are all secondary characters not directly connected to the final trilogy that haters feel ruined the legacy of the original trilogy.
True, but such a distinction should be irrelevant to any misogynist worth his weight in pork rinds. You have to remember that girls are the big problem.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
None of those characters were the lead in their respective stories. They were only supporting characters. When a girl becomes the hero, that's when the fanboys get really, really super offended about their beloved property getting taken away from them.

Seriously? So one cannot simply dislike a movie because it sucked? Now there has to be a social reason why one doesn't like it? sigh That handbasket keeps picking up speed.
There can be multiple reasons to dislike a movie, and believe me I agree that there are plenty of flaws to dislike in the sequel trilogy. However, if you can find even one single fanboy rant against Kathleen Kennedy on the internet that doesn't use the word "woke" as a pejorative or the phrase "Go woke go broke," I will give you a shiny nickel.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
This will likely come down to a business decision. And investors may be concerned about the diminishing returns on ever-increasing budgets that they saw with the trilogy. Contrast that with the continuing success seen by the Mandalorian, and a case can be made for changing the direction of the franchise.
Changing the direction of the franchise, sure. But that does not have to (and will not) involve erasing the existing movies from canon. That's just fanboy dreaming, nothing more.

Even if it turns out to be true that Favreau and Filoni are displeased with Kennedy's direction for the franchise and want to do their own thing, they can easily work around the sequel movies without addressing them directly.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
‘The Mandalorian’ Claims Nielsen Streaming Mantle In First Non-Netflix Weekly Win
By Dade Hayes

Disney’s Star Wars spinoff The Mandalorian has made more history, taking the top spot on the Nielsen weekly U.S. streaming chart in the first weekly win by a non-Netflix show.

The show’s second season edged out The Office, which wound down its run on Netflix in December, by a margin of 1.336 billion total minutes of streaming to 1.311 billion minutes. Apart from The Mandalorian, all other spots in the top 10 were taken by Netflix shows, consistent with the usual pattern.

Nielsen’s weekly chart reflects activity during the week of December 14 to 20. It measures only U.S. viewing on TV sets (leaving out mobile streaming) and has a built-in lag time in reporting, by arrangement with the handful of streaming players being tracked.

As the marquee show on Disney+ when the service launched in November 2019, The Mandalorian has been the very definition of a subscription driver. Last month, Disney announced it had reached 86.8 million global subscribers. After a little more than a year, Disney+ is already at the upper end of the company’s initial five-year projections and is now expected to surpass 300 million by 2025.

Netflix remains the global leader, with 195 million subscribers as of last September. In addition to Disney, several other well-funded challengers have hit the market in recent months, including Apple TV+, HBO Max and Peacock.

The Office saw a swell of interest among Netflix subscribers before it shifted to NBCUniversal’s Peacock at the start of January. The show ended 2020 as the year’s No. 1 title by far, according to Nielsen.

Acquired titles took up most of the top 10, a common pattern, though holiday movie A California Christmas cracked the top 10, with 581 million minutes of viewing.

The Crown, which had multiple weeks at No. 1 after its fourth season debuted in mid-November, fell to No. 3, with 772 million minutes of viewing.

Here is the full chart, with total episodes available and total streaming minutes:

The Mandalorian (16 episodes, 1.336B minutes)
The Office (192 eps., 1.311B min.)
The Crown (40 eps., 772M min.)
Grey’s Anatomy (366 eps., 762M min.)
Manhunt: Deadly Games (10 eps., 712M min.)
Supernatural (327 eps., 684M min.)
Virgin River (20 eps., 681M min.)
Criminal Minds (277 eps., 651M min.)
Schitt’s Creek (80 eps., 597M min.)
A California Christmas (feature film, 581M min.)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
None of those characters were the lead in their respective stories. They were only supporting characters. When a girl becomes the hero, that's when the fanboys get really, really super offended about their beloved property getting taken away from them.
I could be mistaken but I don't recall any observations of a misogynistic streak to DT criticisms until TLJ. Since Rey was the main hero in TFA, I'm not compelled to write the fandom off as misogynists. I would characterize the general fandom as mainly being offended by terrible storytelling with a couple Alfalfa's being 10x more vocal than others.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Even if it turns out to be true that Favreau and Filoni are displeased with Kennedy's direction for the franchise and want to do their own thing, they can easily work around the sequel movies without addressing them directly.
I agree that this is more likely. Why not just tell the stories of Mando, Ahsoka, Boba Fett, and Rangers of the New Republic, and not intertwine them at all with the Disney Trilogy? Just straddle both sides and keep all the fans happy.

It seems that they may already be headed that way, since Luke and Grogu don't exactly line up with the DT timeline. Ben was said to be Luke's first student, but that's not for years after he has now picked up Grogu. Of course, there could be ways of explaining this; Grogu may be killed by someone or something (this wouldn't be popular with fans), Grogu could decide that he wasn't really cut out to be a Jedi and could just quit, etc.

It will be interesting to see how they blend all of these series into a cohesive storyline, and where the cut it off.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I could be mistaken but I don't recall any observations of a misogynistic streak to DT criticisms until TLJ. Since Rey was the main hero in TFA, I'm not compelled to write the fandom off as misogynists.
Oh, there were plenty of complaints about Rey being a "Mary Sue," and Disney being too "PC" and "woke," when The Force Awakens came out. But those complaints were more balanced out by all the blatant franchise fan-service that movie doled out, which placated most of those complainers. Because there's nothing a fanboy loves more than seeing a scene from an earlier movie he likes being repeated in a new movie.

The whining exploded around The Last Jedi, because that movie not only cut out most of the pandering fan-service, but actively subverted it. That was too far, and the incel fanboys lost their frikkin' minds over it, directing most of their rage against Kathleen Kennedy, the evil woman imposing a "woke agenda" (i.e. girls are good for something other than being fantasy sex objects or damsels in distress) on a franchise that everybody knows was supposed to be for boys.

I would characterize the general fandom as mainly being offended by terrible storytelling with a couple Alfalfa's being 10x more vocal than others.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that there's some bad storytelling in the sequel trilogy. However, the legitimate complaints were blown way out of proportion. If you can look at the movies objectively, the problems they have are really no worse than any other comparable big-budget blockbuster, which are almost always given a pass. The hatred for these movies is intensified by the perception that everything wrong with them is the fault of girls purposefully ruining things that boys like.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Not Mandalorian related but has anyone else seen this? It’s kind of awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Oh, there were plenty of complaints about Rey being a "Mary Sue," and Disney being too "PC" and "woke," when The Force Awakens came out. But those complaints were more balanced out by all the blatant franchise fan-service that movie doled out, which placated most of those complainers. Because there's nothing a fanboy loves more than seeing a scene from an earlier movie he likes being repeated in a new movie.

The whining exploded around The Last Jedi, because that movie not only cut out most of the pandering fan-service, but actively subverted it. That was too far, and the incel fanboys lost their frikkin' minds over it, directing most of their rage against Kathleen Kennedy, the evil woman imposing a "woke agenda" (i.e. girls are good for something other than being fantasy sex objects or damsels in distress) on a franchise that everybody knows was supposed to be for boys.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there's some bad storytelling in the sequel trilogy. However, the legitimate complaints were blown way out of proportion. If you can look at the movies objectively, the problems they have are really no worse than any other comparable big-budget blockbuster, which are almost always given a pass. The hatred for these movies is intensified by the perception that everything wrong with them is the fault of girls purposefully ruining things that boys like.
The biggest complaint about TFA was about how much of a rehash it was of A New Hope. Secondarily was Rey being a Mary Sue character. If her gender had been changed to male, the complaint would have been that Ray was a Gary Stu. Most of the complaints were directed at J. J. Abrams and the poor script.

TLJ was such a departure from all other Star Wars films that it hit a never for a different reason, in that it didn't feel like Star Wars and didn't treat established characters with respect, which some fans took as not treating them with respect. Kennedy took some deserved heat for that for not establishing any continuity between the two films. It was at this point that the cracks were beginning to show.

And the RoS continued that same tradition, with zero continuity, an aimless plot, horrible pacing, lack of character development, and a final insult to fans (a Palpy claiming the Skywalker moniker). It's evident that there was no overseeing control of the three movies, which is her role as a producer. The failure wasn't due to her being female, or the characters being female, just poor supervision.

TFA captured a built-in audience and made its fortune on that good will and desire for new Star Wars. The Last Jedi squandered it on a movie that felt out of place for the Star Wars universe. Rise of Skywalker tried to find a way to redeem the Disney take on the franchise, but that gap was too great and Abrams' talent was too lacking. The result was rising budgets and reduced box office receipts for each subsequent film. Under Kennedy the profitability and life of the franchise was slipping away.

None of any of that has to do with "fanboys" being charter members of the He-Man Woman-Haters Club. Star Wars fans don't need to interject gender roles into the story or favor one sex over another. But Kennedy sure does seem to want to:

The Mandalorian took things in a different direction. While it too included fan service, it didn't bank on it. Instead it took established characters and locations and built upon the past, rather than trying to destroy it. While not flawless, at least it feels like Star Wars again. And the characters have as diverse of backgrounds as any of the DT films, yet you don't see the same raging complaints from frothing misogynistic fan boys.

And the audience reacted differently than they did to the DT (see news story posted above).

Perhaps they see it as the good storytelling they're looking for, instead of pandering, superficial, subversive, exploitive drivel.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Star Wars fans don't need to interject gender roles into the story or favor one sex over another.
Hard disagree. This is the sort of whining that has proliferated ever since Kathleen Kennedy was put in charge:

DISNEY PURGING STAR WARS, MARVEL WOKE AGENDA

"So as the woke agenda hasn't been a success at Disney (and all of Hollywood), it's claimed that Disney is going to purge all the SJWs and cater to the fans."

And a lot of it's coming straight out of the mouth of Doomkook:

"Hollywood is indeed a woke wasteland and now out of that wasteland, a new hope has suddenly appeared,' explains Doomcock... 'I am told that getting the SJWs out of Disney is now priority one mandated by the sudden realization that sometimes cliches are cliches for a reason and a new understanding at the highest level that 'get woke go broke' is no longer just a slogan.'"

What is it you think he's talking about there? What "woke agenda" could he be referring to?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Hard disagree. This is the sort of whining that has proliferated ever since Kathleen Kennedy was put in charge:

DISNEY PURGING STAR WARS, MARVEL WOKE AGENDA

"So as the woke agenda hasn't been a success at Disney (and all of Hollywood), it's claimed that Disney is going to purge all the SJWs and cater to the fans."

And a lot of it's coming straight out of the mouth of Doomkook:

"Hollywood is indeed a woke wasteland and now out of that wasteland, a new hope has suddenly appeared,' explains Doomcock... 'I am told that getting the SJWs out of Disney is now priority one mandated by the sudden realization that sometimes cliches are cliches for a reason and a new understanding at the highest level that 'get woke go broke' is no longer just a slogan.'"

What is it you think he's talking about there? What "woke agenda" could he be referring to?
Woke agenda refers to putting progressive goals/ideals (such as statements like "The Force is Female") over storyline.

Doomcock(sp?) is one voice out of many, and he's quite vocal about what he sees as the progressive voices tearing down our shared cultural past to promote their own vision of utopia. Thus, the old Jedi texts are discarded, and the past is left to burn. Luke and Han are shown as utter failures, rather than the heroes fans were hoping to see. And so forth and so on.

That's a far cry from saying that women can't be heroes.

Specifically, in the case of Disney, he's referring to the financial impact on the studio's bottom line: Disney Star Wars movies = increased costs, decreasing profits, dissatisfied fan base left feeling disrespected.

Contrast that to The Mandalorian's success = driving force in increasing subscriptions to Disney+, revolutionary ways of reducing production costs, and both critical and fan popularity.

Quoting from Doomcock in that same article, "Bad-mouthing fans no matter what they say or what side they are on will no longer be tolerated. . . .The new policy moving forward is one of fan support and acceptance. Disney is a for-profit company and no one who works for Disney will be allowed to insult or antagonize fans."

Gee, that kind of sounds like the news story from a couple of weeks back regarding Pablo Hidalgo, doesn't it? And this article goes back to August of last year, so maybe he was on to something?

Putting that aside, one shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that Doomcock somehow speaks for or represents all fans (or fanboys, it's hard to tell where you place your distinction). I've presented his videos only for the fun, speculative nature of the rumors, not as an advocate for any ideology.

But one thing that we should all be able to agree on is that we want Star Wars content that respects the brand. And that can be, and has been, done regardless of gender.

Scott

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Woke agenda refers to putting progressive goals/ideals (such as statements like "The Force is Female") over storyline.
Something tells me that if the studio put "conservative" goals/ideals over storyline, and the next Star Wars movie was about an evil federation from the planet Libtardnia trying to force everyone in the galaxy to have mandatory abortions until defeated by heroic patriots from Qanonia, people like Doomy would be 100% cool with that and would champion it as the greatest movie of all time.

Doomcock(sp?) is one voice out of many, and he's quite vocal about what he sees as the progressive voices tearing down our shared cultural past to promote their own vision of utopia.
We're talking about a franchise that, from Movie 1, has been about an oppressed minority overthrowing a right-wing totalitarian regime, and we're supposed to believe it was Kathleen Kennedy who forced "progressive goals/ideas" onto it? Seriously? What have you been watching this whole time?

Specifically, in the case of Disney, he's referring to the financial impact on the studio's bottom line: Disney Star Wars movies = increased costs, decreasing profits, dissatisfied fan base left feeling disrespected.
Increased costs and decreasing profits is a problem across the entire filmmaking industry. It is not specific to Star Wars and has nothing to do with Kathleen Kennedy or her alleged "woke agenda." Filmmaking costs have spiraled out of control without a commensurate increase in the quality of the product, on all fronts.

Nevertheless, even the lowest-grossing of the Star Wars sequel trilogy films, Rise of Skywalker, grossed $1.074 billion theatrically, which is a 4x multiplier over its production budget. And we're supposed to believe this is a huge failure? That number doesn't even begin to account for secondary revenue streams from merchandising and home video, which are also hugely profitable. Yet somehow the story has been spun that Kennedy is a horrible businesswoman who doesn't understand anything about what Star Wars fans want - even as those same Star Wars fans continue to hand over their cash to her.

1421 - 1440 of 1452 Posts