AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get some attention, most recently at CinemaCon where some footage was screened.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=693002&stc=1&d=1430333730

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...acon-revenant-fox-martian-20150423-story.html

http://deadline.com/2015/04/fox-new...-o-russell-ridley-scott-cinemacon-1201415077/

And maybe even best of all, judging from the buzz afterwards, was Ridley Scott’s stranded-in-space adventure, The Martian starring Matt Damon as an astronaut left behind and thought dead but … Damon spoke to the exhibitors in a pre-taped video touting the experience of working with Scott who appears to be back in great form on this one.
I read the book recently and figured this was going to be a movie. Little did I know that production was well way.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I just got the book from my wife and intended to start reading it this weekend, if time allows. Had no idea a movie was already in production. Figures.

Can't read the book in two hours. If I wait and just see the movie I can save a lot of time!

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
This sounds real 'prometheusly' promising. ...Ridley Scott, Matt Damon the astronaut left behind for dead on Mars, after his appearance on 'Interstellar', and who knows what other Martians live there.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Where the he!! is P2?
Latest news is that the script is complete, filming will begin this year for a March 2016 release date. Noomi is back obviously (yay!) and Michael Fassbender as well. From what I've read it will take place on Earth, no more xenomorphs but a new sort of hybrid species, even more terrifying and badass than their alien ancestry ;) The third film will be named "Paradise" or at least have it in the title, this one could be "Hell on Earth". Nothing definitive though. That concludes your Prometheus 2 fix for today, thanks for watching. :)

Reactions: cardoski

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Latest news is that the script is complete, filming will begin this year for a March 2016 release date. Noomi is back obviously (yay!) and Michael Fassbender as well. From what I've read it will take place on Earth, no more xenomorphs but a new sort of hybrid species, even more terrifying and badass than their alien ancestry ;) The third film will be named "Paradise" or at least have it in the title, this one could be "Hell on Earth". Nothing definitive though. That concludes your Prometheus 2 fix for today, thanks for watching. :)
What would I do without you?:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I recently read the book and really enjoyed it. It was a page-turner. It was a little geeky (I'm an engineer so I dig that stuff) but I think that it could easily transfer to the big screen and expand it's appeal.

Cary

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I read the E-book of The Martian recently on a long transcontinental flight. It was interesting for the geeky (I'm an Engineer) but also oddly familiar. Then I remembered an obscure Indy film I saw at a Drive-In Theater (remember those?) in 1965:

The monkey gave a really scene-stealing performance as I recall. Late in the film the monkey and astronaut are attacked by the same Martian spaceships that attacked Earth in 1953:

·
Registered
248 Posts
The official trailer is out.

There's also a sort of "meet the crew" teaser that really captures the feel of the book:

This will be a must-see for me.

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Me too, and I hope it's in the same spirit as 'Mad Max: Fury Road'. :)

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Looks great! Ridley Scott and space means it needs to be seen on a big screen first.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Jessica Chastain has come a long way. I remember the first time I saw her was in "Jolene", where she played a smoking hot nymphomaniac (a very good movie as well, and not just because of that.) Now she seems to have a good grip on the 'super-competent, in charge woman' type roles, at least that I've seen of her lately (Interstellar, this one, Zero Dark Thirty, maybe another I'm forgetting.)

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Looks great! Ridley Scott and space means it needs to be seen on a big screen first.
IMO, a character study set IN space isn't much different than one set on Earth.

Jessica Chastain has come a long way. I remember the first time I saw her was in "Jolene", where she played a smoking hot nymphomaniac (a very good movie as well, and not just because of that.) Now she seems to have a good grip on the 'super-competent, in charge woman' type roles, at least that I've seen of her lately (Interstellar, this one, Zero Dark Thirty, maybe another I'm forgetting.)
She really is hot stuff.:)
One of my current favs.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
IMO, a character study set IN space isn't much different than one set on Earth.
I meant visually. Scott's keen eye for beautiful imagery and the fact that it's a science-fiction film, for me is enough to warrant a trip to the theater. :)

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
I meant visually. Scott's keen eye for beautiful imagery and the fact that it's a science-fiction film, for me is enough to warrant a trip to the theater. :)
I didn't see anything particularly impressive with the visuals, but different strokes and all.
Maybe I am a little sensitive after wasting precious time with that POS Interstellar....

1 - 20 of 431 Posts