AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE 4:
I have completed pics in post #78 ! And a bit of a talk on design.

UPDATE 3:

Ordered two SI 18 D4s.
Ordered the 3000dsp.

Now onto all the little wires that I needs. Speaker cables, etc.

The biggest problem is figuring out what painting methodology I will be using.

UPDATE 2:
Sick of gooogling.
Dayton Audio options:
http://www.parts-express.com/cat/subwoofer-drivers/14?N=21630+4294967118+4294965094+4294967060+4294964953&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord[endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_PortalID%22%2C%221%22%29+and+endeca%3Amatches%28.%2C%22P_Searchable%22%2C%221%22%29]&Ns=P_BestPrice|1&PortalID=1

SI HT-18:
http://stereointegrity.com/product/ht18-18-subwoofer/

UPDATE 1:
Added pics to post #26
ORIG:
I am considering a DiY build on a whim. I want to get some parts on my door step on Friday (there are reasons for this). I'm CONSIDERING doing DiY because I am on a tight budget and have not built something of quality in wood for atleast a year.

I have a 600 sqft room. It's just a larger than normal great room. It's about 5000 cuft. I have some 12"ers in my towers via Infinity SM-122 speakers that I have had since about 1993. (I LOVE THEM) So the twoers help but they don't fill the room.

If I go martysub build, what do I need? Am I correct in reading that this is supposed to be a blend of two sub sizes? If so, I'd probably do a Mini/Full build. If I can go matching pair, I'd consider Mini/Mini.

I'm planning on doing a Dayton Audio sub and iNuke amp build.

I'm looking at this speaker alot:
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ts320d-4-12-titanic-mk-4-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-403
Dayton Audio TS320D-4 12" Titanic Mk 4 Subwoofer 4 Ohm (dual voice coil or not is TBD)
(I'd rather pay for the long excursion model and reduce speaker size and cabinet volumes) 19mm is alot of throw.I'd go 10" or 15" as needed.

What amp would I need? What speakers would I need for the room?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Full Marty was made for the Dayton RSS18 using the 2x4' handy panels from Home Depot so fabrication is simple. Many people use the Dayton UM18 as well, and there is no need to mix different size enclosures. Two Full Marty's with UM18s and a iNuke6000DSP is my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
They can be matching. All the info you need is in the Martysub FAQ

Forget about 12" drivers. 18" has way more output.

If budget is tight, 2 minimarty with ht-18 D4's and NU3000 has decent output. Get the NU6000 if you can.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Definitely prefer the UM18 due to excursion data.

What is the difference besides power in the inuke 3000 and 6000? It's $280 vs $400. And the dual 18"ers pus the price up more.

I'm honestly intrigued by the multiple different driver idea. But I worry about the left/right balance.

My wife is going to kill me!

Oh damn, the subs will block my towers in the current tower locations. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. More planning needed.

The two 18"ers cost $540 and the inuke 600 is abother $400. We're looking at $1K. Way more than I want to spend. I'd rather do 15"ers and the inuke 3000 if that would work.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the FAQ, am I reading this right?

I could do the HT18 in the CubeMarty? And if I have room, I could increase the size to the MiniMarty?

And if I do impedance matching correctly, I can drive two of these off of one inuke 3000?

Amp: $280
speanekers; $340
total: $620

Hrrmrmmmmm

I'll have to tweak the design. It will be "longer" but still ported with about 9 cuft. Hrrmmmmm.

The down side is that the HT18 is currently on back order but there web page says that they should be in stock by now.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So it's like a marty sub, but different? ;)

it's just a ported subwoofer. download and learn WINisd. it's free and pretty intuitive. Use that to model the performance of different drivers in a given box size . Great little program.

check out Stereo Integrity's HT18. you could get a pair for less than $350, plus shipping. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
So it's like a marty sub, but different? ;)

it's just a ported subwoofer. download and learn WINisd. it's free and pretty intuitive. Use that to model the performance of different drivers in a given box size . Great little program.

check out Stereo Integrity's HT18. you could get a pair for less than $350, plus shipping. :)
nope they are 174 free shipping now. easily the best bang for your buck 18 you can buy. i have 4 of them and i love them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I think I got it.

Can someone model what a Marty like box is like in the WinSD app ....
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1648673-martysub-faq.html
.... would sound like if I went with 20"20"x36"?

These are rough dimensions.

I have the app but time and learning curve are going to hold me back. I literally have work tomorrow all day and after work I hope to get things ordered. I just need to avoid regrets at this time.

Shoooting for dual 18s in tow seppperate ported boxes driven off a single inuke 3000. I think at this point, if those speakers will work in the box, I simply need to be convinced to upgrade the iNuke.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
nope they are 174 free shipping now. easily the best bang for your buck 18 you can buy. i have 4 of them and i love them.
didn't notice the free shipping. that's great.
I have 4, as well . They're out of the sonotubes they were in ,,, wont fit the new house. :( so time to get creative...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
OK, I think I got it.

I have the app but time and learning curve are going to hold me back. I literally have work tomorrow all day and after work I hope to get things ordered. I just need to avoid regrets at this time.

Shoooting for dual 18s in tow seppperate ported boxes driven off a single inuke 3000. I think at this point, if those speakers will work in the box, I simply need to be convinced to upgrade the iNuke.

I would do this if you do not have time to learn....

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ies-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7094

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
OK, I think I got it.

20" x 20" x 36" will work, but just barely... If you can increase one of the 20" dimensions to say 24" that would help a lot and give you better low end extension.

Since you're on a tight budget get the SI HT18's in D4, wire them in parallel to 2 ohm and run each on it's own channel of the 3000dsp. Gives you ~1100w to each sub. This is what I'm running and haven't had any issues and have plenty of bass.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
20" x 20" x 36" will work, but just barely... If you can increase one of the 20" dimensions to say 24" that would help a lot and give you better low end extension.

Since you're on a tight budget get the SI HT18's in D4, wire them in parallel to 2 ohm and run each on it's own channel of the 3000dsp. Gives you ~1100w to each sub. This is what I'm running and haven't had any issues and have plenty of bass.
I can turn one of those 20" dimensions to 24" but my wife is going to be pissed. It goes from tucked away to sticking out.

I think the 3000dsp is a go.

I think I would do one 18" driver to start. I can always add a second later.

The thing is, I am not totally sold on the 18" sub even though everyone says that it sounds better than the 15".

I like the idea of the Dayton Audio TS400D-4 15" Titanic Mk 4 Subwoofer. Since it is smaller, the smaller enclosure should be more agreeable and it has much greater excursion.

I could go dual 10" or 12" in a single cabinet (independent chambers internally, just one box.

Anyone do a build with the Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil yet?

I might get the 6000dsp asa one time buy and forget thing.

PS: I'm willing to be a guinea pig for hte UM18-22 18"er

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I am set on 18" . I read enough threads saying that you might regret going smaller. Just go as big as possible and be done with it.

I am stuck at driver selection.

Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax
--- or ---
SI HT18

It seems like a coin flip. About ot beer up so I can double check the size that I can actually do when I make this.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I go 18", I think that I have to go with the SI HT18 due to the enclosure size.

If I go 15" I can consider the Dayton Audio TS400D-4 15". I need to find a ported build that used it though. I think I need 6 cuft for this one.

My smallest (and desired) cab size is about 7.5 cuft.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts