AVS Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Kinda Off Topic but regarding movies, I am trying to convince him to atleast consider Ant Man. Supposed to be funny, be a super hero movie, have a good sound track and alot of bass. Sounds like win!

I think The Mask (1996 I think) is going to be the second movie for the small group of kids sleeping over beyond the large group for the main party. Not bass heavy but a decent slap stick comedy that is age appropriate.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Ha, about a week ago I talked a friend into doing a 15" flat pack (sealed). His amp might be able to support a second sub.

He tended to buy without checking with me though so I have no idea what his speakers are (2 or 4 ohm load and SVC or DVC?). I wish he just asked.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I enjoyed reading about your build.
Do you know if it matters if I were to have the port on top cause I have a old dog going bling etc, that pees on everything and would be difficult to clean in any other position. And so I had to mount all my speakers onto the walls and have none on the floor. Otherwise I may have to just build a couple sealed 18" and paint with urethane for protection. Thanks

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Port can go out the top instead, some folks have done just that.
Volume stays the same, layout must be adjusted.
Edit:I think I remember 1 guy putting some kind of screen/grille up top on the upward facing port to keep stuff out because it faces up....maybe someone else remembers.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Do you mean on the front face, on the top most side? Or do you mean literally, the top. I personally don't know what the impacts in terms sound output would be if you mean that you want it literally on the top. You could do a chimney cap design on top I suppose or have one of many possible solutions given a port on top.

A dog that pees on everything is tough. You might need to consider a lot of things. Down firing is probably a very good idea to consider. Down firing with a port on the front face (top edge) would be a cool design.

You also might want ot use glossy or semi gloss paint because it is easier to wash with a wet washcloth.

Then again, for furniture you might want to get paint specific to furniture as latex based can be tacky even once cured.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
In post 78:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2070994-martysub-challenge-design-24-hours-3.html#post36931274

I had a nice shot of my room. The back of the couch is about 13' back from the windows in a room that is 24' deep. The current sub positions are know.

And I think I have a problem. I very much want to build a dual opposed sub to add to the system. I'd probably stick it behind the couch. I might even do two of these boxes. I was thinking about doing porter or sealed with some 12"ers.

Should I even bother? I've read that tuning such a setup could be a nightmare and introduce more problems than benefits.

If the price were right on some smaller 8" or 10" subs I'd even consider doing a bunch of those. getting kinds stupid going that small though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great news!

I'm getting a divorce! So I'll have to move into a smaller home! Why is this great news? Because these subs will probably land in a room that is like 10x12. LOL! 10% of the floor space will probably be dedicated to my subs! Time for interesting placements!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My current equipment is set up in a 10x12 room. Have the projector mounted in the closet, then a 109" screen. My one dayton rss390ho pounds in there, feel it in your chest constantly, one seat I've called the bass seat, it's in the opposite corner from the sub...loud as hell. This is until the basement is done, but I honestly think I'll miss the small room. Stuff gets loud in there lol.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
@trilkb

Divorce =great news? YMMV

Totally agree. especially wrt no more G0dammed screeching parrot WTF was I thinking to go with THAT!

compared to the ex, "Bnella', her nickname til she dies (Half B1tch and half Cinderella = ""Bnella)

the bird was actually more fun to listen to . . .

I got to have 2 BFM THTLP's in my mancave about 10 x 11 . . sweet but not enough grunt

but putting the SUBMAXIMUS, V2 AND V3 and the LOWARHORN and the VBBS TWin ported MBM in the SCATMOS living room WITH THE 80" Sharp,

rockin'

hopefully you retain the "powerbase" to be happier and more motivated,

I now return you to your regular programming

Marty subs? I've helped build 3 full and a cube

too bad there aren't flatpacks available,

·
Registered
250 Posts
OK, one regret. I wish I covered the ports up. I've had squirrels in my house twice and they were hiding inside the cabinet. So annoying. I might do a retro fix eventually but it is low priority.

Maybe a metal mesh from home depot that is painted so I get bigger air holes for air flow.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts