AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to finally document my HT build. It was multiple threads and users in here that helped me get it done, so thanks to everyone.

At firstI was going to use an 11x11 room, but ended up renovating and the room ended up being 21x12.5. My equipment is:
Panasonic AE7000U
Def Tech SM65, CS8080, PM1000 X4 Added 4 Def Tech Di5.5s for Atmos
PSA XS30 X2 and SVS SB2000 X2
Denon X4000 as a pre amp to an Outlaw Audio 7125 amp.
Chairs are Palliser Bullets. Very comfortable for an internet, no test, buy
Visual Apex 120" tension controlled screen
View distance is 14'
A couple of things I learned:

- I don't need 3D, just not worth the extra $1800 when I bought it. I can't evenrecline my seat all the way or it distorts the image.
- I didn't need a tension controlled screen. I have 3 Da-Lites at work at they look just as tight with no waves.

- I wish I would have started researching sound control before I did several speaker and subwoofer upgrades.

All I can say is every time I sit in there and watch anything I just say tomyself or my wife, I love this room. I use it for everything, TV, gaming,movies. People who see it say, "I didn't know projectors looked so good.
Thanks again to all in this forum and other threads for the ideas.
Lets start with the layout:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The room was made from 1 of my garage bays and my daughters bedroom after she left for college. :)

Here is the progression with several before and after pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are some other shots of my progressions or versions.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
The room was made from 1 of my garage bays and my daughters bedroom after she left for college. :)

Nice! After my son went back to school I added in the bedroom he was using as well - made a much bigger room to work with - went from 19 x 15.5 to 15.5 x 25. Allowed me to add a bar and 2 rows of seats.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Nice! After my son went back to school I added in the bedroom he was using as well - made a much bigger room to work with - went from 19 x 15.5 to 15.5 x 25. Allowed me to add a bar and 2 rows of seats.

Jeff

That size space seems about perfect.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hopefully will work well for us. My wife really wanted the bar space behind the seats (which I'm building right now) which the length now allows us.

Good luck on your build - I like the blue color!!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully will work well for us. My wife really wanted the bar space behind the seats (which I'm building right now) which the length now allows us.

Good luck on your build - I like the blue color!!

Thanks, I am done with my build, but it seems like the tweaking never stops. At least your wife is getting involved before/during the build. My just kind of shook her head during everything. However, she really enjoys the end results now. I am watching way more HGTV on it than I planned. :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
HGTV rocks - esp. the DIY shows! (Oh wait - that's the DIY channel - doh!)

My wife has been there right from the beginning - she gives her input when I ask her - mostly about designs and colors and such which she has a much better eye for. She is looking forward to it being finished as well.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HGTV rocks - esp. the DIY shows! (Oh wait - that's the DIY channel - doh!)

My wife has been there right from the beginning - she gives her input when I ask here - mostly about designs and colors and such which she has a much better eye for. She is looking forward to it being finished was well.

My wife picked out the paint color and carpet. I told her dark blue and we ended up with the purplish blue. I still like it.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I stand corrected! :D
No biggie. Just your typical bit of nonsensical minutia that Marvel fanboys usually get hung up on :)

Now if it were called the DC-ous Theater, instead of the Marvel-ous Theater then it would've been Superman blue, but, you know how it is, Marvel/DC = oil/water:D So, Spiderman it is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Spiderman blue, LOL. I never thought of that, but now that you say it, it does kind of look like it. :)
Of course you thought of it! ...sub-consciously. Heck, even your wife thought of it! Why do you think she picked that color?! The MARVEL theater? With a name like that it's automatic. It's built in. You can't NOT think it. It's 1 of those things that you already knew, but you were just so busy doing other stuff, that it took someone else mentioning it, to remind you that you already knew it anyway. See? Simple :D:D:D

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I order a UMIK-1 to run REW for this room, but what I am concerned about is possible sub locations for better results. What can I really do with this room? My two thoughts were put the subs together front center for 1 giant sub. The second was right front and left back for a cross sub setup. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
Try this Lowell:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

1. Connect sub #1 only and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #1
3. Place sub #1 in that position
4. Connect both subs and place sub #2 at the MLP (with sub #1 playing as well)
5. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #2
6. Place sub #2 in that position
7. Playing the AVRs test tone, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch)
8. Run Audyssey, first mic position only, and "calculate"
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
10. Adjust the gain on both subs by the same amount up or down as needed
11. Repeat 8-10 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
12. Run the full Audyssey calibration
13. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
14. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try this Lowell:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

1. Connect sub #1 only and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #1
3. Place sub #1 in that position
4. Connect both subs and place sub #2 at the MLP (with sub #1 playing as well)
5. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #2
6. Place sub #2 in that position
7. Playing the AVRs test tone, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch)
8. Run Audyssey, first mic position only, and "calculate"
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
10. Adjust the gain on both subs by the same amount up or down as needed
11. Repeat 8-10 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
12. Run the full Audyssey calibration
13. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
14. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

I appear to have a room null between 60-80Hz. Would hiring somebody from BB Magnolia or the local AV installer be recommended, or would it just be a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts