AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"The Matrix" on fox

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Ken H 
#1 ·
"The Matrix" will be on FOX on 05/09 at 7:30PM Pacific Standard Time. Now, Its been my understanding that FOX shows movies at 480p and 1080i, but perhaps that's just here in Portland, Oregon.

Now, seeing how 7:30pm is primetime, I was wondering if anyone could inform me if they know for a fact what resolution this movie will be comming through as!

Also, as this is comming in OTA, has "The Matrix" ever come in through satellite in HD?

#3 ·
HBO-HD has shown The Matrix in HDTV a number of times.

FOX does not currently broadcast any movies (or sports) in HDTV. They send a 16x9 (squeezed) 480i signal to their affiliates. FOX has never shown any movies, sports, or other programming in 1080i; several years ago, they did attempt Independence Day in 720p as a test.

If it's FOX, the content will be delivered at 480i, which the broadcast affiliate may then de-interlace into 480p. It may or may not be widescreen.

#4 ·
oh my god, so your saying that the matrix is most definately going to be in an ugly 480i mode?

So, there is no way in the universe that it will be displayed in a beautiful 1080i mode?

Does Fox display 1080i movies, or even 720p movies anywhere in the United States?

#6 ·
iodsnips, welcome to the forum. Here in Portland, FOX does not do 1080i. They do 480i on 30-01 & 480p on 30-02. They pass the signal through straight from the L.A. feed on 30-02 so when they cut to local commercials all you see is the FOX banner.

See this thread for the digital goings on in Portland.

#8 ·
HBO-HD has not shown MATRIX for almost two years now. :(

#10 ·
I have had HBO-HD for 18 months and have checkd the schedule each and every month for it and not once was it on HBO-HD. It was on the non HD channel a few times.

If it had aired within the last year+, a hell of a lot more people would have it recorded onto DVHS, that's for darn sure. I'd kill to have this one on DVHS.

#11 ·
I'm not a Fox fan either, but I will risk persecution by saying their 480p widescreen stuff can look pretty good. It's much better than normal crappy 4x3 sd stuff. I don't claim it is up to HD stuff, but it also isn't complete garbage.

I watched Bernie Mack last night and it's very nice and clean. Of course much of this has to do with it having a video look vs. grainy film of many other shows.

Ok, I'm ready for my banishment from the HDTV Programming forum.

#12 ·
I pick up my locals OTA, And my fox station here in houston comes in on 26.2. But my fox signal looks no different then the other channels. And nothing is ever in widescreen. I think my digital (non-hd) locals of nbc, cbs, etc all look better then my fox. Is it because my local affiliate isn't broadcasting it as 480p, but rather 480i? Or do I have something set up wrong? Is it possible that the .2 subchannel isn't the right one? (when I originally setup my antenna I got .1, but when I moved it around to pick up the rest of the channels, I lost it so now only have the .2)

Would sure love to see this fox that everyone talks about that looks like DVD quality, but I'm not seeing it. Also never see any widescreen (even on things like Sunday Nascar which are supposed to be widescreen as far as I can tell from the forum).

#13 ·
bbodin, the only time FOX transmits in 480P, it is in widescreen. Not all of their programming is this way, most of it is 4:3 SD. Try scanning for your channels again since most of the .1 channels are the "primary" channels with HD or 480p though here in Portland, our 480p is on the .2 channel.

#14 ·
Quote:
I have had HBO-HD for 18 months and have checkd the schedule each and every month for it and not once was it on HBO-HD. It was on the non HD channel a few times.

If it had aired within the last year+, a hell of a lot more people would have it recorded onto DVHS, that's for darn sure. I'd kill to have this one on DVHS.
You want it that bad even though it isn't OAR?

#15 ·
bbodin, your local might not be passing it through or it might be moving around. In example, our local has been 'playing' lately and moving it to different mappings. Also, they are now upconverting from 480p to 720p for broadcast 'just for fun'. It's certainly better than normal SD.

I'd suggest contacting your local Fox engineer and find out exactly what they are putting on the air.

#18 ·
Quote:
You want it that bad even though it isn't OAR?
:rolleyes: It's Super35. It is not cropped. When I had a copy that suffered from sound dropouts every 4 minutes (they were on the tape and always in the same exact spot, so the master it came from had them as well) I compared the image to the DVD and found the top and bottom had more picture and the sides were clipped by less than 10% most of the time.

I find that to be OK. And the difference in picture quality was night and day. :eek:

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
Why all the fuss over a FOX viewing of the Matrix? Just go and get the DVD and you will have a much superior video & audio then anything FOX will put out!
Actually, FOX is equivalent to progressive scan DVD, but why anyone would watch it with the mega commercial breaks every 10 minutes is beyond me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
bbodin, the only time FOX transmits in 480P, it is in widescreen. Not all of their programming is this way, most of it is 4:3 SD.
All of FOX programming, both widescreen and 4:3, is 480p. The only exception to that rule is live or videotaped programs such as sports or American Idol. Those programs, both widescreen and 4:3, are line doubled 480i.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by spwace
but why anyone would watch it with the mega commercial breaks every 10 minutes is beyond me.
Even tho that's how you and I get paid, I'm with ya man!:)

#26 ·
When Fox broadcast Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi (both were Special-Edition versions) one year ago, both were 2.35:1 OAR. (And at that time, the Fox network logo was below the 2.35:1 letterboxing line, so it didn't obscure any of the picture area.)

In a sense, it was 'better than DVD', because so far the only DVDs of those movies are unauthorized bootlegs! (And they certainly aren't 16:9 anamorphic like the Fox widescreen broadcast.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.