AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am a collector and movie lover, I was thinking of the best way to get into archiving HD movies and at the cheapest price (since I know I would be taping a LOT of movies). Yes, I was pointed toward S-Vhs (Maxell's at $4.40 in bulk, thanks Gary) as well as some other cheaper options. As many people believe S-Vhs tapes are essentially D-Vhs tapes without the extra holes (but also better quality tape), I started thinking of archiving ONLY on D-Vhs.

As the cheapest D-Vhs tapes I can get are $6.99 (Maxell) I started to consider archiving 2 to 3 movies per tape. Since a LOT of movies have shorter runtimes these days, I would be able to do 3 in most cases and at the very least, 2 longer films. Now, that brings the price per FILM down to $2.33!! Since I know anybody useing the cheaper (or so-called cheaper) option with S-Vhs is not getting them that cheap.

For anybody thinking "Who the hell want's to fast forward everytime they want to watch a movie", this is an easy one. As you archive the films, just specify run times next to each title. It is VERY simple to fast forward to that time.

So, besides the fact that you will be saving a LOT of money you will also be saving a LOT of space with less tapes. A win-win for me.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin
As the cheapest D-Vhs tapes I can get are $6.99 (Maxell) I started to consider archiving 2 to 3 movies per tape. Since a LOT of movies have shorter runtimes these days, I would be able to do 3 in most cases and at the very least, 2 longer films.
I can only get 2.5 hours of HD recording on those tapes.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogney Baux
I can only get 2.5 hours of HD recording on those tapes.
Please excuse my ignorance as I haven't archived more then one film on a tape. The tape specify's 300 minutes in Digital recording.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
That's not in HS mode ;). They do make the 400+ (forget the exact length) tapes that will fit 2 full length movies on (as long as they aren't super long). Those are darned expensive however.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts
Yes Darrin, the DVHS recording time thing is confusing. Just divide by two to get hi-def recording time for DVHS tapes. So, a DF300 is 150mins of hi-def recording time; DF420 is 210mins.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh
Yes Darrin, the DVHS recording time thing is confusing. Just divide by two to get hi-def recording time for DVHS tapes. So, a DF300 is 150mins of hi-def recording time; DF420 is 210mins.
Bummer:( Here it is I'm thinking I made some new great discovery. Oh well.

Btw- Conversation on it's way;)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
If money is no object than use only D-VHS tape. Since D-VHS tape is HG SVHS tape, I buy mostly used HG SVHS tape and usually in ST120 (2 hours 2 minutes) or ST160 (2 hours 42 minutes).

Chris

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I don't think for the money that one can beat maxell ST-126, the extra 6 mins of tape is a true blessing and this tape is top notch stuff, I have never had a problem with it at all

I will never use another tape other than TDK XP Super Pro or true D-VHS

-Gary

·
Registered
28,329 Posts
The Fuji S-VHS tapes work beautifully (I've never had any problems with them at all), and have the added advantage of a "pre-existing" hole in the edge of the cassette that can easily be punched out to trick a D-VHS player into thinking it's a more expensive D-VHS tape.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
The H471S used stuff on Ebay is very reasonable if you are patient. But patience is the key!

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
H471s is the best (Chris agrees) but can never be found easily for a good price

the newer bulk packs of Maxell ST-126bq also have a small plastic indentation where the d-vhs hole is supposed to be, makes it easy for the soldering iron

-Gary

·
Registered
785 Posts
Damn you people!

Because of you, this week I bought a JVC 5U, a soldering iron, a handful of D-VHS tapes, and that 50 pack of S-VHS that Gary recommended. I got the 5U on Wednesday and it's been going non-stop ever since. I think I have Forbidden Planet scheduled to record on the DVR tonight so I can archive it tomorrow. Man, I promised myself I was done with tape . . . guess that's what a format war gets you. I'll have HD, one way or another.

Oh well, back to the movies. . . :p

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I just wish I could get consistently decent recordings from PC to DVHS :(.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Have fun Stacy, getting a good copy of a HDTV movie is addicting, be careful HDTV ruins DVD viewing
Ain't that the truth.

A few years ago I was in Ovation Audio/Video in Lexington and they had a display with D-VHS on one screen next to a setup with a Denon DVD-1600 DVD player. Both were playing U-571 (I don't know if the D-VHS was D-Theater or not -- I think that the TV and D-VHS machine were Mits -- did Mits even do D-Theater?). There were some differences in color (I have no idea how the TVs were calibrated) and I could see the better resolution of D-VHS when the titles scrolled, but otherwise, the differences weren't that great, and certainly not great enough to justify the investment given what a $300 DVD player could do.

Now I'm seeing things differently. I have Spider-Man 2 on D-VHS from HBO HD and I'm going to compare it to the DVD, but lately I've found that I can't watch anything that isn't HD. So I end up watching the Little League World Series, or travel shows in HDNet. I watched a guy make goat cheese!? So, HD is addicting, but man, I need some content. But I'm finding it hard to watch anything that isn't HD. Guess I'm hooked.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
It's much like viewing LD for a while then popping in a good DVD, man LD sucks

watching HDTV then popping in a DVD in the same revelation

LD compared to HDTV, now that is just nasty :D, no offense to Rachael :)

-Gary

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I know what you mean Gary. In the 80's I started out with LD but bought VHS/Beta for the titles not on LD. I thought the difference was huge. I did the same for DVD. Bought DVD because titles were not available on LD when titles completely stopped for LD. During that time DVD was very mixed sometimes much better than LD, others crappier than VHS. Then Warner's new releases on DVD were spectacular in PQ. My Warner LD's looked like crap! When D-Theater came out, I mostly upgraded titles I bought on LD and new releases I didn't have on DVD. I bought most fox and universal titles that were released within 6 months of their DVD conterparts. Then I thought DVD didnt look too good. DVD started to look like a flipbook of images that were not as smooth as HD. TV on DVD is what got me hooked on DVD. Now that I look at it I have more of a varied collection in LD than in any other format. So I had to buy the best player that I can afford the X9. The key to buying multiple formats is to not overlap too much. Unless it's one of your absolute favorite. So you dont waste too much money on titles you're never gonna watch. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the new HD formats.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I'll chime in my 2 cents.

I decided to watch my JFK The Director's Cut DVD the other evening. 30 minutes into the movie I decided I couldn't take the degraded PQ anymore...popped in my DVHS HD recording of the movie watched that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.