AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is at least the 1M'th time this questions has been posted but I could not find a post with the exact answer. So...here it goes...

Should I buy a direct view CRT or a RPTV?

Considerations:

- I'm looking for outstanding picture quality.

- I watch 60% Digital TV and 40% DVD (Progressive Scan)

- I'll put it in a relative small room inside my apartment. I'll sit ~7ft from the TV.

- Budget is no more than $1500

- I might buy a new TV in 2 to 3 years when LCOS is VERY affordable. (~$1500 for 50" set).

Please share your knowlewdge and expertise.

Thanks!

Francis

·
Registered
71 Posts
With your budget, stay CRT for now. The digitals are not there at your price point and won't be for a few years. You would have to double your budget to be happy with digital.

·
Registered
474 Posts
i recently went through a similiar decision and bought a 42inch CRT RPTV mitsubishi.

My thing about getting a direct view was that for the same price you got a much larger screen, a much lighter tv (direct views are heavy), and you don't give up that much space as a direct view is still pretty deep.

the viewing angle 'problems' with RPTVs were not a problem for me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbrown
With your budget, stay CRT for now. The digitals are not there at your price point and won't be for a few years. You would have to double your budget to be happy with digital.
I agree with mbrown. if 1500 is a hard ceiling, direct view should be it for you. sony and samsung both make goot direct view HDTV's between 900 and 1400 bucks. CRT RPTV is on the way out, has convergence and burn in problems, is way too dark, and is heavy and bulky. The current LCD and DLP RPTVs are much lighter, have better, brighter pictures, and don't suffer burn in. But they are $2.5k and up.

If you're dead set on a new tv, go direct view, then get an LCD or DLP RPTV in 2 or 3 years when they're down under the $2k mark (and will have better pics anyway).

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with minhi. Boy----you just can't beat that bigger screen and for better all around viewing a CRT rptv can hold its own against any of the new fangled technologys.....but they are heavier.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If I'm you, I'd get a fantastic direct view TV for under $1000 instead of an OK RPTV for $1500. Especially since you think you'll want to buy another TV in a few years and don't absolutely have to have the larger screen now.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry to be a stick in the mud but just by an Apex, 27", flat screen, stereo, PIP for $150 and live with it for 1 -3 years. Save your money for an HDTV once the market volatility settles. Then pitch the Apex and be glad you didn't burn $1500 on something that is obsolete.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mweflen
I agree with mbrown. if 1500 is a hard ceiling, direct view should be it for you. sony and samsung both make goot direct view HDTV's between 900 and 1400 bucks. CRT RPTV is on the way out, has convergence and burn in problems, is way too dark, and is heavy and bulky. The current LCD and DLP RPTVs are much lighter, have better, brighter pictures, and don't suffer burn in. But they are $2.5k and up.

CRT's are dark because they produce proper black levels, LCD's and DLP's produce gray instead of black. Don't spend your

money on a fixed pixel display until they get the black levels right along with many of the other problems that come with those TV's. As far as the size of a CRT rptv, that only matters if you don't have enough room in your house, who care if its big and heavy, its not like you are going to be moving it all the time. Its amazing how everyone homes began to shrink since fixed pixel displays came out, that's everyone's excuse to purchase one of those sets.

·
Registered
411 Posts
HD CRT rules..And whoever said they are on the way out, have a look at the new models from Tos, Philips and Pioneer, it seems they are still in..

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.