AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking in to some of the info out there on Tiger (OS 10.4), and it doesn't appear that the mini's lowly Radeon 9200 will be able to fully support Core Image (which offloads a lot of imaging/picture manipulation to the GPU), but can't seem to find any definitive confirmation on whether or not it'll support Core Video. For those of you unaware, core video should provide us with our desired ability to offload MPEG-2 decoding to the video card. Would open up a lot of our needs/wants for HDTV on the mini.

No real point to this post besides an attempt to stir up some discussion. And who knows, maybe one of us is "in the know" on this issue.

· Registered
1,884 Posts
I have seen discussion elsewhere that the list of supported cards was taken down from the related CoreImage page. Perhaps, something has changed.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, I haven't found any requirements listing from Apple. At a different forum I found what is supposedly the original requirements list though:
  • ATI Radeon X800 XT
  • ATI Radeon 9800 XT
  • ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
  • ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
  • ATI Radeon 9600 XT
  • ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
  • ATI Mobility Radeon 9600
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
  • NVIDIA GeForceFX Go 5200
  • NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra

Now to be fair, Apple says only graphics cards with per pixel programmability (or something like that) will be fully supported, but supposedly core image and core video will scale as required to run on any Tiger supported computer. So hopefully at the very least we'll have access to hardware MPEG-2 decoding. Although it would be nice to have iPhoto run a bit faster.

And who knows, maybe Apple did take down their list because they've managed to optimize the whole shebang for lesser GPUs.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/coreimage.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.