AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,613 Posts

Check out our review of this 8 episode series from Starz that follows a families journey as they desperately search for clues to find their missing son.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Starz/BBC - 2014
MPAA Rating: TV-14
Feature running time: 472 minutes
Genre: Drama, Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50 (2 discs)
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: James Nesbitt, Frances O'Connor, Tchéky Karyo,Émilie Dequenne, Jason Flemyng
Directed by: Tom Shankland
Written by: Harry Williams, Jack Williams
Music by: Dominik Scherrer
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 14, 2015

"What would you do?"

My Take:

Not having heard any buzz, though I did see some advertisement for it on Starz, I was not sure what to expect. I threw in the Blu-ray and was immediately sucked in the world of The Missing.

Set in France, the timeline of The Missing jumps effortlessly between 2006 and 2014. We meet Tony and Emily Hughes (James Nesbitt, Frances O'Connor) who are on vacation with their 5 year old son Oliver. They have a bit of "Murphys Law" when their car stops running leaving them stuck in the fictional small town of Chalons du Bois. On the night of the World Cup Final, Tony takes Oliver swimming and on the way out of the pool Oliver complains about being thirsty. They walk up to the crowed outdoor bar a few meters from the pool and in the blink of an eye, Oliver goes missing in the loud crowd of fans. Gone without a trace- we find that after an exhaustive search effort Oliver is not to be found. We jump to 2014 and the never ending obsessive search of Oliver's father Tony turns up a new lead from a photograph he finds on-line. He, along with Julien Baptiste (Tchéky Karyo), the retired detective that was lead on the original case, go back on the hunt based on this new evidence.

Saying any more will take away from the mystery(s) that unfold in this methodically paced thriller. Written and directed with not only an emphasis on story but on production and mood, I was easily sucked into binge watching all 8 episodes in 2 days. There are a few moments and afterthoughts where I picked apart the story and the clues/leads, but as a whole it was a rich and rewarding watch. I highly recommend giving this one a spin.

Parental Guide:

Rated TV-14 for Adult Themes, Violence and some Language

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 76
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Missing comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.8 Mbps and lossless 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

I enjoyed the production of The Missing, though it is not always eye candy in the traditional sense. The image fluctuates from crystal clear to flat at times, and besides fine details on close-ups, the image can appear a bit soft or "dreamy". This is highlighted by its favoring a cold bluish look which does not distract from flesh-tones of the appearance of a realistic color palette. Compression does visually put up a fight in the dark scenes with a little bit of banding and noise. Even with its slightly soft appearance and compression issue, I still found the look of this one to be an enjoyable presentation.

The audio also went from moments where I was truly wowed by how thick and rich the music portions were to how much of a missed opportunity the use of surrounds were. Focusing on the front channels, the lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track never misses a beat with its clean rendering of all dialogue, which is truly the most important aspect of this series.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) 3 short featurettes

Final Thoughts:

The Missing is a great 8 part series that is not without its shortcomings, however, the good far outweighs a few lingering issues making this Blu-ray release from Anchor bay well worth a viewing. I might even give it a spin again one day

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Falcon Screens Horizon 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking Syste
Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo A51 & A21 7x250
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad Gold Monitors
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad Bronze Subwoofers x4
Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens
AudioQuest Wires

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 3D 1080p Plasma
Anthem MRX-310-AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
Triad Bronze Subwoofer

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I watched this show before it became famous :) Absolutely brilliant!! AFAIK, they are currently working on season 2.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Thanks for the review. Tempted to buy the set for a PQ comparison with the Starz series I watched over Verizon's FIOS. (Starz On Demand lists all 8 episodes, although their PQ may differ from Starz's first delivery.) Recall posting a link (see HD programming forum thread) to an interview with the director about his shooting approach. Agree about the lapses in PQ (softness). Gave up scrutinizing images too closely and just enjoyed the drama. AIUI, the new season will be entirely separate plot-wise, although the series ending suggested the story could continue. -- John

·
Registered
19,092 Posts
I just binge watched this on Starz HD over the past 2 days...this gets a 100 from me in terms of story...it's like a good book that you can't put down...the acting is also excellent across the board...absolutely brilliant in every sense...most mystery shows fizzle out by the time the end comes but this ending had me thinking and searching online to read other opinions...for only 8 episodes they really do an amazing job fleshing out the characters and the tons of side stories...really perfect on every level and one of the best limited series I've ever seen

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just binge watched this on Starz HD over the past 2 days...this gets a 100 from me in terms of story...it's like a good book that you can't put down...the acting is also excellent across the board...absolutely brilliant in every sense...most mystery shows fizzle out by the time the end comes but this ending had me thinking and searching online to read other opinions...for only 8 episodes they really do an amazing job fleshing out the characters and the tons of side stories...really perfect on every level and one of the best limited series I've ever seen

Glad you got as sucked in as I did.
Here's hoping more people give this a watch!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I posted my thoughts on the other thread because I only got to see the DVD version, but totally agree that this was probably THE best mystery storytelling I've seen anywhere...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts