AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Members of the HT SPot forum, a haven for Mits owners, have finally cracked the locked out service menu that will give calibrators access to the color decoder and other menu items that will give Mits owners the potential for tweaking for the best picture available in a RPTV.

All HT enthusiasts can rejoice in this incredible effort and major win.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I had my set calibrated by one of the only guys(Cheezmo) who knows how to do this. It is absolutely awesome seeing a great picture(no red-push) without attenuators.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
219 Posts
This is great news, and I can't wait to have my set fixed!

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the link to the Home Theater SPot Mitsubishi thread: HT SPot Mitsubishi Thread

I cannot overemphasize the importance of this breakthrough. This solution gives the calibrator access to parameters in the service menu one only finds with front projection units. No other RPTV comes close with the potential for a fully calibrated picture, equal to the best front projectors.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
96 Posts
A huge round of applause to all the guys who figured this out!

It’s awesome to finally have a correctly calibrated HDTV!

Bravo!

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is this something the requires a black box or its it simply done with secret codes on the remote? Is there a specific thread that explaines the process step by step?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You should pop over and read the threads. The fix is not something DIY'rs can do at home with the remote (thats the lock out by Mits). It involves reading/writing the firmware with external hardware/software. Several calibrators have said they have the ability but not all.

[This message has been edited by bdenman (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
96 Posts
It involved building a I2C to Paralell interface.

Downloading the MITS EEPROM into a computer.

Adjusting the values in question.

Uploading the new values back to the TV.

Done.

The actual process takes about 5 Minutes to hook up, DL, correct, and UL.

Only issue is it's not a device you can buy. It is a device you have to make (Using about $20 in RS parts and a soldering iron). So it takes a little electronics experience. For most of us, that means leaving it up to the ISFs, however there are the "Hard Core" tweakers out for blood, and the correct color decoders who will do it anyway, just for fun. Personally, I had to do it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bill

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks, Barista.

I'm stretching it repainting the interior of my home so I'll leave this to the ISFers.

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

·
Registered
345 Posts
If your are interested in learning how to do it yourself if you are not near an ISF'er or just want to learn more about one such device, here is the link. You can read and learn all about the I2C interface and how to fix your set. Just be sure to read the warnings and don’t be afraid to ask questions. This $20.00 self constructed device has fixed many sets with no damage to anyone’s hardware, and we would like to keep it that way.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/I2C-Interface

This mod should only be done if you are aware of the risks, otherwise, leave it to the pros.

Steve Holtam

[email protected]

I2C Moderator

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is there a particular thread in that board that mentions how to get in there or is this just a reference that techs can use this new method?

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.