AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The set-up: I buy a refurb 5060 8/8/2003. It has software v4.5 on it. It finally updates itself on 8/29/2003 and immediately exhibits studdering/ infinite loop problem. The RMA it rather painlessly. Replacement (refurb) unit arrives on 9/16/2003 and has the same defect right out of the box. Studdering, locking up, and even the occasional reboot.

I told tech support I'd like to return this refurb 5060 for a refund ($362.99) and buy a _new_ 5040 from the website ($399.50 AR).

He processed the return and refund but said shipping ($12.00) was not refundable. I explained that I'd already paid for them to ship me the defective, ship _back_ the defective unit AND now have to pay to ship back the _2nd_ defective unit. He capitulated and agreed to refund the entire $362.99 but insisted it _IS_ company policy that the customer shoulder the costs to return defective units. Lame.

I then went to the website to buy a new 5040. $449.50 - $50 mail-in rebate. But when I attempted to enter coupon code RTVP10, the website reported that "Coupon code RTVP10 is not valid for these items". So I asked him to give me a 10% code that would work. After insisting several times (and double checking with his upline) that I was no longer eligible for the 10% discount since I'd used it on my original order, I sent him back again to have his supervisor make an accommodation. They finally agreed to give me a 10% discount by crediting my credit card ($49.95).

So, in the end, it all turned out more or less ok. But it is clear that they are trained to shift the cost for their mistakes to the customer and make getting actual customer service very difficult.

So be insistent, very insistent, and you may well get what you are entitled to.

Man, these guys still have a loooong way to go.

Oh yeah. Stay the hell away from the refurbs (as if you didn't already know). The entire stock is riddled with plague.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, not quite on the refurbs. Mine came coming exactly like a new one (of which I have three... :) ).

You are right in that a refurb may have been returned for a number of reasons, some because of defects, but saying the 'entire' stock is bad is overstating it.

Now, I am not saying that any of the refurbs should have been let *out* in substandard functioning condition. I expect refurb to mean 'as good as new' except some parts could be used, and cosmetically there could be problems.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Granted that people with happy refurb experiences generally don't post them because happy customers are not squeaky wheels.

I bought one new unit earlier this year. Has always worked beautifully.

Bought two refurbs, both with the same defect (the exact same defect, BTW, reported by other people).

So in my personal experience, 100% of the refurb units I've owned were bad.

In my book, that translates into a recommendation to avoid refurbs like the plague and to endict the customer service policy of requiring customers to shoulder the shipping costs of returning defective products as egregiously unfair.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I do agree the client eating the shipping and then (for a new unit's RMA) getting a refurb are *both* bad customer relations techniques!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have lead you to a wrong conclusion. They did not RMA my new unit for a refurb.

My new 5040 has always worked perfectly.

I then bought a refurb 5060 that was defective and they RMA'd it and sent me a second defective refurb 5060.

I paid to ship the the 5040 to me originally and then to ship the two defective refurb 5060s back.

I didn't mean to imply that they had sent me a refurb to replace a new unit.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Just FYI, I picked up one the the 5040 refurbs when the initial deal was presented and have had it running "on trial" ever since. The idea is that if the thing works I would use it to replace one of the 3000 series units in my main system.

Well, it's still on trial!

When it works it works perfectly, the problem is that it keeps locking up during the nightly download, and it stays locked until I reboot it. I haven't spent any time researching this though (as I expect if I tried searching I'd find tons of refurb complaint stories), so it's gonna stay on trial until 5.1 comes out at which point I'll see if that fixes it.

In the meantime, I'm gonna keep using my trusty RTV3060 and my 2 Showstoppers (all with big HDs) as they don't make 'em like they used to!

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Sorry, I confused you. What I said was two things that they *do* do. I know you had a refurb, but even if you have a new one, and have to RMA it, they ship a refurb, not NIB unit. That's why for something that fails soon after purchase, the best bet is to return to store, and get a new one there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
...for something that fails soon after purchase, the best bet is to return to store, and get a new one there.
Ah. Good tip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have two refurbs and no major problems.

The 5060 refurb has worked flawlessly out of the box.

The 5040 refurb losses the ability to change channels when I unplug it/loses power. I had this happen when I reconfig the media cabinet and after the hurricane. I simple "clear channel guide" and it works perfectly.

So add my 2 to the refurb works great list!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.