AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts
Probably FOX Widescreen; 16:9 480i upconverted to 720p.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, all of my program guides have said that it's in HD. Heck, the "early showing" on CTV was in LETTERBOX on the SD feed.

We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKyuubi /forum/post/12911708

No, all of my program guides have said that it's in HD.

Often wrong.

Quote:
Heck, the "early showing" on CTV was in LETTERBOX on the SD feed.

What AR do you think FOX Widescreen is?

Quote:
We'll just have to wait and see.

Not really. Check the FOX web site.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief99 /forum/post/12910298

Another reality waste of bandwidth!

It's only a waste if there's something better to replace it with. Right now...not so much.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
They wasted a 16:9 camera on this garbage?

All these years we couldn't get Scrubs in HD or at least 16:9. Gawd, I'm pissed!!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
looks like usual fox mediocre hd to me.

·
Registered
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg /forum/post/12912502

They wasted a 16:9 camera on this garbage?

All these years we couldn't get Scrubs in HD or at least 16:9. Gawd, I'm pissed!!

nick, (most) all SD cameras are 16:9 capable these days. FOX is the only one of the big 4 that do non-HD in 16:9 format.

·
Registered
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OggideM /forum/post/12912505

looks like usual fox mediocre hd to me.

Widescreen it is.

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I was wondering how they measured the response and where all the polygraph sensors are and saw this:

"Prior to playing, participants are strapped to a lie detector and asked a series of questions by a polygraph expert, who records their answers. At any time, between the polygraph and the televised game, participants can change their answers or walk away from the competition."

http://www.fox.com/momentoftruth/showinfo/

So it's just fake tension and reactions! They already answered them once.

What's the damn point? Why not just strap a lie detector to them on the show and get their true reactions when they hear the questions?

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
And why have a drawn out fake tension buildup between answering true to something that's not good and the reveal? You know it's true, why would someone lie about doing something bad? Pointless padding.

Bah I'm going to watch Kyle XY ...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
And we would rather have 4:3 SD instead? At least Fox fills the screen compared to the other networks. While the results can vary they can look pretty good. Not everything can be HD yet - it's a gradual process.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/12912638

What's the damn point? Why not just strap a lie detector to them on the show and get their true reactions when they hear the questions?

The polygraph only works if conditions are controlled, since all it measures is blood pressure, pulse, respiration, skin conductivity, etc. Being on a TV show in front of an audience and with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line are factors that could distort the test results, particularly in the blood pressure, pulse, and respiration categories.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The problem, though, is the show says "You lose all the money if you lie"...when it's really "you lose all the money if the person who interpreted the lie detector results thinks you lied".

Not quite the same thing.

And I agree about the fake tension. If the person answers a question in a way that will probably embarrass them (like "did you check out other football players' privates"), then what's with then tension? Of course he told the truth. Are people supposed to think that he didn't really do it but lied on TV?

Now if he answered the other way, then the delay and all would be fine.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Contrary to popular conception, lie detectors are very accurate and admissible in a few jurisdictions as evidence in court. Unless you're suggesting that the production company went with a dubious polygraph analyst.

I agree with you that the tension is 100% fake. He's already answered the question. The sense of shock at the personal nature of the question that they attempt to create comes off incredibly bogus.

Call me crazy, but the show would be much, much better if they showed us the contestant's original response taken while strapped into the polygraph and instead focused on the possibly real agony within the player over whether to keep or change that answer.

·
Registered
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatt /forum/post/12913227

I thought it was just a crappy HD signal, but you guys are saying it was actually widescreen SD?

Try reading the topic, or the HDTV Programming Synopsis.

All FOX reality is Widescreen, except for American Idol.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts