AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been reading for weeks and still have questions regarding the components to use. I have a Hughes E86 for ATSC and Directv HDTV, Kenwood DV5900M with the Faroudja DCDi chip, a HK7000 receiver and the Mits WS48311 RPTV.

I have also bought an Aphanix case to look right in the system and I'm ready to fill it with whatever I need to CAPTURE video. I was going to go with the AIW9700 because it includes component out, the TV doesn't have DVI in, so I figured the difference between an 8500 plus transcoder would be about the same price. I'm lost, are the AIW's no good for capture, or just not AS good as some of the others? I want to be able to record to the HD for playback and possibly burn to DVD for future use. I'm willing to keep saving if there is a better picture/recording that can be had.

Assuming money-is-no-object, what is the recommendation? The PC is connected to the network and the Kenwood (the auto catalog from the Internet of CD's is awesome!). Aside from controlling the Kenwood, I will likely only use it for recording from DVD, VHS, Hughes and Canon digital camcorder for time-shifting and copying.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

>>>added

BTW, I have been playing with capture for quite some time. I currently have a AIW7500 in my primary computer and a Matrox Marvel G400 TV in my former primary computer. I hadn't really considered using either in the new HTPC because I figured there were better options now. I also failed to mention that the Harmon Kardon is there because we do appreciate AC-3 and that that is also a topic that I'm interested in for this HTPC.

I have cable broadband and 6 networked PC's (5 hard wired and 1 wireless laptop). Before you start with the comments, 1 PC is the HTPC, 1=mine, 1=wife, 2=5 children and the wife's new 'floating laptop). I am a web architect for a large heavy equipment manufacturer and all electronics are barbed hooks that I happily seem to bite on, only to find that I can't shake it loose :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CoMotion
I was going to go with the AIW9700 because it includes component out, the TV doesn't have DVI in, so I figured the difference between an 8500 plus transcoder would be about the same price. I'm lost, are the AIW's no good for capture, or just not AS good as some of the others? I want to be able to record to the HD for playback and possibly burn to DVD for future use.
Again, since I don't need a tuner - most will be input from other sources - is the AIW9700 a good pick? I've been reading the "HDTV Card Buyer's Guide" and it APPEARS that they all have tuners. Is there a better way for me to input from external sources than the AIW and those other tuner/capture cards?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Comotion,

Don't confuse HDTV tuner/capture cards with what you have in the AIW.

Those cards will allow you to tune/capture OTA HDTV. The AIW will do only SDTV. People here tend to prefer Connextant based capture cards over the ones included in the AIW.

Also, realize that you can only capture/record 480i from the Hughes E86.

To capture D* HDTV, you will need a DTC100 and a mod from 169Time.com.

With that you will be able to record HDTV to hard drive w/ a PCI HDTV capture card.

Forgeting about money being no object for a second....

A high end HTPC could be said to have the following. (My Recommendation)

PIV Motherboard w/ 533 or 800Mhz bus speed + Firewire + Raid + SATA + USB 2.0 + Gigabit Ethernet (Asus P4PE)

Fastest yet affordable CPU (PIV 2.53Ghz )

Fastest DDR memory available (512Mb DDR333)

Radeon Video Card (9500 or 9700Pro for gaming)

Good jitter free Sound Card w/Spdif (M-Audio AP24/96 or M-Audio Revo).

NTSC Video Capture (Immersive Holo3DGraph)

ATSC Video Capture (MyHD or FusionHDTVII).

Quiet slot based DVD drive (any of the Pioneer Slot based ones)

Quiet 400W power supply.

Quiet Hard Drives (Seagate Barracudas or WD Caviars)

Lastly, Windows XP SP1 (XP Professional not home)

Andrew.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I have an AIW9700 and I find the capture quality quite good. I don't really have anything to compare it against though.

The AIW is also a good choice for integrated component output. Running at 856x480P into the HDTV will result in excellent PQ for DVD playback. If you really need to have greater resolution sent to the TV then a transcoder is the best route.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Jvincent,

I'll qualify what I said by saying that those cards a favored because of DScaler support.

Also, running the card @ 856x480P may cause your HDTV's scaler/doubler to kick in. Using a relatively inexpensive but powerful Radeon card to do the all of scaling and deinterlacing will IMO produce better results, especially for fixed panel devices.

Enjoy.

Andrew.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by midi-guy
The AIW will do only SDTV. People here tend to prefer Connextant based capture cards over the ones included in the AIW.

With that you will be able to record HDTV to hard drive w/ a PCI HDTV capture card.

Forgeting about money being no object for a second....

A high end HTPC could be said to have the following. (My Recommendation)

PIV Motherboard w/ 533 or 800Mhz bus speed + Firewire + Raid + SATA + USB 2.0 + Gigabit Ethernet (Asus P4PE)

Fastest yet affordable CPU (PIV 2.53Ghz )

Fastest DDR memory available (512Mb DDR333)

Radeon Video Card (9500 or 9700Pro for gaming)

Good jitter free Sound Card w/Spdif (M-Audio AP24/96 or M-Audio Revo).

NTSC Video Capture (Immersive Holo3DGraph)

ATSC Video Capture (MyHD or FusionHDTVII).

Quiet slot based DVD drive (any of the Pioneer Slot based ones)

Quiet 400W power supply.

Quiet Hard Drives (Seagate Barracudas or WD Caviars)

Lastly, Windows XP SP1 (XP Professional not home)

Andrew.
Ok, I'm new so I'll try to pose questions that your answers will be helpful to people like me.

I understand the Motherboard issues, firewire is supported by the case and needed by the camcorder, not sure what Raid and Gb ethernet will do without upgrades to the rest of the system, but always looking for future compatibility.

What advantage do I gain by having 3200 over 2700 RAM?

Looking for best in audio, so AP24/96 makes sense.

If all I need is HQ capture from external sources, what benefit does your twin cards approach offer?

Are WD Caviars quieter than Maxtor 9's?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Hi midi-guy,

Good point about the Dscaler support. The latest beta now supports the AIW cards, but it's not as mature as the other stuff so the user interface for changing channels is awkward.

I actually run 856x480 @ 540P timings so that I bypass any internal scaler conversions. It's also worth noting that the resolution limitations with the AIW only apply when using the component output. If you've got an HDTV with DVI or VGA inputs (not sure what that Mits has) then you can dial up pretty much any resolution you want.

·
Registered
822 Posts
CoMotion,

Everything I listed could be said to be pretty much in the high end for an HTPC.

You do not 'need' most of the features per-se.

Take Gigabit Ethernet vs. 100BT Ethernet, the incrememental cost is less than $10. To me that's a no brainer because Gigabit Ethernet is getting more and more affordable. Imagine streaming four HDTV streams to your other computers all at the same time.

Same thing w/ Raid. It used to be that you couldn't even do IDE raid, and basic SCSI raid cards costed over $200. Now you have raid fuctionality built into these MBs for minimal incremental cost. Even if you don't have any use for it now, as you archive/record more shows, especially HDTV - it becomes a cost effective way of getting faster, bigger and safer storage.

Quote:
What advantage do I gain by having 3200 over 2700 RAM?
They are faster.

Quote:
If all I need is HQ capture from external sources, what benefit does your twin cards approach offer?
As for the capture cards, the H3D is 480i only, even though it is highly regarded. If you're not interested in HDTV capture then you won't need either the Fusion or MyHD cards.

Quote:
Are WD Caviars quieter than Maxtor 9's?
I really don't have any experience with the Maxtor drives. I have a couple of the seagate's and about 8 of the WD's. My preference is for the WD especially the JB drives because of their warranties.

Enjoy,

Andrew.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by midi-guy

Are you saying that there is no way to capture the signal from the component out on the E86 and record to the HD in HiDef? I really don't want to add another DSS receiver, the E86 is fantastic.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
Are you saying that there is no way to capture the signal from the component out on the E86 and record to the HD in HiDef? I really don't want to add another DSS receiver, the E86 is fantastic.
What I am saying is that you should differentiate between SDTV and HDTV capture.

AFAIK, there are no PC based component capture cards that will capture ATSC 1080i.

There's a known PC SDI card that will capture HDTV for around $10,000.

The only really viable way to capture D* HDTV is the 169Time solution.

Even with that unit you can only record to DVHS tape, I think.

But you might be able to use PC firewire to record either directly from the 169Time device or lets say a JVC 30K.

A WVHS deck is another known way. It will allow you to capture component HDTV to tape ($30 each). However it will capture audio in stereo only, no DD or AC3.

The H3D card will let you capture 480i over component if the E86 will output it. But to me, what's the point?.

Andrew.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses! The way that I understand it, I'll be in great shape for time-shifting cable/dss/OTA in standard format with the AIW 9700 for capture (either via tuner for cable and OTA or S-vid for dss and composite for VHS). The output to my RPTV via component video will also be supported and I should get great quality from the playback from the HD from those sources. I probably should not be expecting better A/V from DVD on this HTPC over the Kenwood 5900M with the Faroudja chip. I MAY experience better quality video by tweaking the output of the AIW 9700 with DScaler over the Kenwood, but why would I seems to be the question.

If I use a late model ASUS with 5.1 out, how do I best capture 5.1 in from the DSS?

Thanks again for helping understand how this fits with my intended use of my system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.