AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read back thru my original thread on direct view 16:9/4:3 sets... and found that after a coupla months exposure and research, I actually have begun to understand some of what you folks have tried to teach me!

However, I'm still sitting on the fence while I await initial reports on the new Toshiba xxh(x)81 series.

I'm reconsidering a DV 16:9/4:3 set as I *just* found out my wife wants the TV to be hidden when not in use... which rules out a RPTV... unless I can get one up stairs with both a 90 and a 180 degree turn to our bonus room.

Rats. I dunno if I can be happy with (only) a smallish 32-34" set after discovering what a nicely setup RPTV can do... especially considering the price of a 16:9 DV set.

I thought I had this totally solved with a filler 27 or 32" set for cable and a nice HDTV for DVD in a separate HT room. (the existing 19" set is in the living room.. and my wife wants the TV out of there).

Somehow, I'd missed the important criteria of hiding the TV set in the converted dining room (aka, HT room). So the armoire is gonna stay and house some sort of DV set.

I'm trying to get an empty RPTV shipping box to see if it can be maneuvered up the stairs.

My viewing distance in the bonus room will be about 10-12 feet (14 ft wall to wall). If I can only get a smaller RPTV up the stairs... say a 47 or 50 inch, is that gonna be any advantage over a 32-34" DV from 6-8 ft distance?

If an RPTV up the stairs proves impossible... I'm back to where I started... a lot more knowledgable than I was... but somewhat frustrated.

On another note, are 16:9 and 4:3(hd) DV sets as tweakable as RPTVs? I've already picked up Avia and VE along with a RS SPL meter in preparation for the coming HT event.

I'm thinking of the following 4:3 HD sets:

Panasonic 32hx41,

Hitachi 36sdx01sr (it fits in the armoire!)

16:9 sets:

Panasonic ct-34wx50

Phillips 34pw9815

RPTV:

Panasonic 47wx49/51

Toshiba 50/57 h(x)81

------------------

--speedy

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I found a solution for you, "she said if it's hidden". On page 56 of Home Theatre magazine August 2001 edition there is 1/4 page in vertical length about Pop Up TV Lifts. They have a web address http://www.auton.com

They specialize in hidden TVs. They are in business since 1955. They are controled by remote control, they use a rack and pinion drive. Interested go to their web address tell them what you want, pay their price. Then get your RPTV in what ever room you want to hide it in. They have 2 locations Beverly Hills and Honolulu. Their e-mail address is [email protected]

Problem solved all you have to do now is pay for its specifications and your in business. I bet you didn't think you would get a answer like this one! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Hob for Hobby

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>>I bet you didn't think you would get a answer like this one!<<

--Yup. You're right. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

>>Problem solved all you have to do now is pay<<

---and pay .. and pay. I didn't notice any prices at that site... nor any lifts for RPTVs. Guess they're priceless!

------------------

--speedy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
For a "true" movie viewing experience, a DV (even a 16:9) just doesn't cut it IMO - they're just too small. It is possible to hide an RPTV (motorized curtains are one option), but it's certainly not as easy as a smaller DV.

May I humbly suggest you take your wife to a few HT friend's rooms and let her watch a movie on a big screen? After you've seen that, a smaller DV looks like a poor second in comparison. You might be able to convince her!

------------------
ABC = Another Boring Channel. Watch CBS on Monday Nights!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I now have my 65H80 in a 2nd floor game room. After removing all of the electronics and screen it still took five of us to get it up our stairs which had an 180 deg turn and 2 90 deg turns on each end. We currently sit about 10' feet from the screen and I'd say the HT experience is just about perfect. I really couldn't imagine anything smaller giving the same impact. When shopping I was really tempted to go with something smaller, but now I am really glad that I took a chance on the larger set. Believe me once you've had it for a while it really doesn't seem as large as it did initally. Maybe you can talk your wife into having a trial period with a larger set. I can almost guarantee you that she will NOT have you return it...

-eB

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, the problem is not convincing my wife to get a HDTV. I think she understands it's something important to me... and will be ok with it.

The problem is those dang stairs. I do *not* wanna go thru what eB went through! My original plan was to use our *un*used dining room as the HT room. But I never knew it was important to hide the TV when not in use... well, until the other day. And I can pretty well guess that curtains over the HT set will not be acceptable!

I looked at a 65H80 today.. and really liked the size and PQ from about 6-8 feet away. But getting that behemoth up the stairs does not appear realistic or practical.

I also saw the new Panasonic 47wx41 and the 43" Hitachi today. I think the Hitachi is under 200 lbs. But I'm thinking this is smaller than I'd like from 10-12 feet away. Also, the Panny PQ seemed more affected by my eye position relative to the screen height. Might have been just an anomaly.

dKeller, methinks you're right about the big screen experience. I've just discovered a local HT addict (SFGM) who's volunteered to let me (& my wife) check out his HT setup.

So along those lines, I bought a conventional 32" TV today for cable viewing. Now I just gotta get a shipping carton that's about the size of a 56h81.. or rig up some kind of contraption of similar size to see if I can get it up the stairs.

------------------

--speedy

[This message has been edited by speedlever (edited 07-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by speedlever (edited 07-22-2001).]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I don't get it - you have an extra dining room that you could use as an HT room, and you're not taking advantage of it? Personally, I like my HT room to be as close to the kitchen as possible. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Seriously - If you're determined to make an upstairs room the HT room, you REALLY need to check out the possibility of a projector - either digital or CRT. Getting even the heaviest and biggest CRT FPTV up the stairs is cake compared to a 56" RPTV!

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dkeller,

>>If you're determined to make an upstairs room the HT room, you REALLY need to check out the possibility of a projector - either digital or CRT<<

--Hmm. I've never seriously considered this option. I don't think it would work in our bonus room... as it has sloping ceilings from 57" up to the 8 ft level on either side. I think it's about 4' out from the wall before you hit the 8' ceiling height... so it must angle up at ~45 degrees, or a little bit less.

Seems to my untrained eye that configuration would inflict geometry problems as the FP projects down from the 8 ft level to a max 57" high screen on the opposing wall about 10' away.

The cabinet height of the Tosh 57h81 is 55.75" which would just fit on the 57" high wall. But I don't look forward to moving that sucker up those stairs.

Maybe it'd be easier to just build another house... around a HT room. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

--speedy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by speedlever:
..my wife wants the TV to be hidden when not in use... which rules out a RPTV...
But does not rule out a front projector. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Kent

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been under the impression that FP are pretty expensive. I stand to be corrected!

So Kent and dkeller, can you point me to a good source for FP education?

I briefly scanned the CRT projector section of AVS.. and didn't see anything pertinent to my education posted over the last coupla days. But I haven't had time to pursue it further.

------------------

--speedy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"--Hmm. I've never seriously considered this option. I don't think it would work in our bonus room... as it has sloping ceilings from 57" up to the 8 ft level on either side. I think it's about 4' out from the wall before you hit the 8' ceiling height... so it must angle up at ~45 degrees, or a little bit less.

Seems to my untrained eye that configuration would inflict geometry problems as the FP projects down from the 8 ft level to a max 57" high screen on the opposing wall about 10' away."

Not a problem. Both CRT and Digital projectors can be placed in a large variety of configurations/positions. CRT projectors (usually, but not always, mounted on the ceiling), for example, have large keystone adjustments to compensate for firing from an 8' height onto 4:3 screens that are 20" from the floor.

Some digital projectors are more limited in this regard, but most of the newer units can accomodate large keystone corrections.

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>>large keystone adjustments to compensate for firing from an 8' height onto 4:3 screens that are 20" from the floor<<

Although I am unfamiliar with keystone terminology, I can guess that means correction for the projection angle w/r/t varying distance to the top and bottom of the vertical screen.

interesting. I'll look into it. (should I thank you now? Or curse you later? ) <vbg>

------------------

--speedy

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"So Kent and dkeller, can you point me to a good source for FP education?"

Both the CRT and DILA/LCD/DLP forums here are probably your best source of education. Just post your questions (even if they're basic), and you'll get the info you need.

One of the first decisions you need to make is whether to go digital or CRT - there have been a LOT of threads discussing this choice - search and you should get the basic arguments for and against either type.

A summary:

CRT: best image quality (good blacks, smooth image), large and heavy, requires some technical expertise to set-up and converge.

Digital: mediocre (LCD) to good (DILA) image quality, all digital technologies have some drawbacks, principally black level. Small and (relatively) light, although can be noisy. Easy setup.

------------------

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you are still considering a RPTV set for the upstairs bonus room you might want to check the Mitsubishi sets. I know in the past they were built to seperate into two pieces for easier movement in tight places; they probably still are built this way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You might want to check out the new RCA LCOS 50" HDTV set which has a small footprint and weighs in at less than a hundred pounds. It's just now coming onto the market for about $6,000. Check it out at the RCA site. Cheers. Don.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
I've been under the impression that FP are pretty expensive. I stand to be corrected!

So Kent and dkeller, can you point me to a good source for FP education?
For less than the price you may be considering paying for an RPTV, you can get a CRT FP which will blow it away. Take it from someone who spent about $4k on an RPTV last fall and wishes he had educated himself a little more.

If you have been educating yourself about RPTVs, most of the concepts and terminology are the same with FPs. As the esteemed dkeller_NC has pointed out, the best source of information about CRT and digital FPs are the respective AVS forums. My guess is that you will decide that the combination of affordability and picture quality renders the CRT FPs unbeatable, but that is for you to decide for yourself. If you are interested in the Sony FPs, www.projectorspecs.com has a lot of good info. The FPs are more difficult to set up and require a room with light control, but if you are interested in the biggest and best picture, FPs can't be beat.

If I was you I'd figure out how much I wanted to spend on a good CRT FP and e-mail Curt Palme who hangs out on the CRT forum. He's a CRT guru par excellance and will get you set up.

Kent

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Although I am unfamiliar with keystone terminology, I can guess that means correction for the projection angle w/r/t varying distance to the top and bottom of the vertical screen.
That is correct. It allows you to compensate for the trapezoidal distortion which results when the physical layout necessitates mounting the projector above or below the center of the screen.

Kent

[This message has been edited by Mr Joshua (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I would argue against a plasma just yet. They have their applications, and they have an undeniable "cool" factor, but even the top of the heap (Pioneer 505) have mediocre (although much improved from older models) black levels.

Further, most have poor internal scalers, so you will likely want to purchase an external one just as you would with a CRT or Digital FPTV.

Finally, the Pioneer I mentioned has a street price of $12k or so, list of $17k. Now that's expensive for a 50" display in my book!

------------------

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Folks,

Thanks for your input on FPs. I think I'm gonna back away from this for now as my projected investment in HT has grown considerably from my initial budget.

I think I'll concentrate first on the sound (speakers and receiver or separates) and use a digital 32" DV for now with the Panasonic RP91 DVD (should be in Monday) until the finances recover to where I can make the next step up in video.

This is *not* a cheap hobby!

Sorry for the delay responding... I just got back from a trip.

------------------

--speedy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.