AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though an movie in aspect ratio 2.35:1 is supposed to still have some letterboxing, but when i play crank on widescreen bluray and regular dvd on 2 different tvs with 2 different dvd players, each time the movie fills the entire screen.

Which i dont mind, im just wondering why it fills the whole screen?

anyone know?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0

Crank is not a 2.35:1 movie. The OAR is 1.85:1.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479884/technical

Josh,

As an aside (and I apologize that this is off topic).

How is Crank's watchability quotient?

One thing I've found lacking in the current releases is that most of these things would never have found their way onto my shelf were I not HD hungry.

As an example the last HiDef I purchased was The Searchers which belongs in my collection.

Now I can be entertained by the current taste for Roller Coaster ride movies but do you think its worth the cash?

HD starved,

ted

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
I hear you I am the same way I have 26 and counting HD DVD's and most are nothing I would have purchased normally now just because they are HD. We need more more...

Nate

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0

Crank is not a 2.35:1 movie. The OAR is 1.85:1.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479884/technical

You should pass by any retailer and look at the back of the dvd case, it cleary states on the back "widescreen aspect 2.35:1"

So i guess you are saying that what they have on the back of the dvd is a misprint?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted /forum/post/0

Josh,

One thing I've found lacking in the current releases is that most of these things would never have found their way onto my shelf were I not HD hungry.

As an example the last HiDef I purchased was The Searchers which belongs in my collection.

Now I can be entertained by the current taste for Roller Coaster ride movies but do you think its worth the cash?

HD starved,

ted

Crank is probally one of the best films in high def that ive seen so far.

It is looking beautiful! Definitly get it on bluray or hd dvd.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilam /forum/post/0

Crank is probally one of the best films in high def that ive seen so far.

It is looking beautiful! Definitly get it on bluray or hd dvd.

Oh, I beleive that, its more a question of whether I'm willing to sit through it and be entertained in more than a technical manner i.e. PQ. I feel I've already spent enough in search of pixels and the vast majority of existing and future releases seem like flotsam to me. Much of what I want is likely to no appear for years. My aesthetic taste in Cinema might seem rather strict to many, but thanks for your comments.

ted

·
Registered
29,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted /forum/post/0

I actually haven't seen it. Someone else from the site got that one for review, and it's not the type of thing I'd be inclined to purchase on my own for the same reasons you've cited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilam /forum/post/0

You should pass by any retailer and look at the back of the dvd case, it cleary states on the back "widescreen aspect 2.35:1"

So i guess you are saying that what they have on the back of the dvd is a misprint?

That's what it looks like. For what it's worth, the "Hulk" HD DVD is also mislabeled as 2.35:1 when it was a 1.85:1 movie as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I rented this movie last night, and you are correct. It is labeled on the back as 2.35:1. If you look at IMDB, the film OAR is 1.85:1. However, if you click on the DVD details on IMDB, it says 2.35:1. Very odd...

·
Premium Member
903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrigsby /forum/post/0

If you like action and don't really care about a deep plot...great movie...it's not deep in any sense.

The plot is that he is poisoned and the only thing keeping him alive is adrenalin...

Sounds like Transporter 2, except the only thing keeping him alive this time is the hunger for a blockbuster movie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.