AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally releasing the Movie Pimp...first some screen shots...

The main app view:

An alternate view, used to browse your movies with other folks, etc.

An expanded view of the main app view. Supports "tagging" of movies and color coding of those tags to manage your movies easier.

Ever wonder where to rip your disc to? What drive has the most space? Movie Pimp will tell you where to put it:

The Movie Pimp blog and download link is located here: http://movie-pimp.blogspot.com/

On the left under downloads.

Note that Movie Pimp requires MS SQL CE v3.5 SP2 and .Net 4.0. The Movie Pimp installer checks for these dependencies but does not include them in the installer.

Install .Net 4.0 before MS SQL CE!

The links to the dependency downloads on the various MS sites are noted just below the dl link for Movie Pimp.

Currently, Movie Pimp is freeware but donations will help improve it in the short term. See the blog for a link to donate. Any amounts are appreciated.

The Pimp does a lot of things and I plan on creating some docs and a video, but simply have not had the time. But with xmas approaching I know that folks are gearing up to watch some movies and I want the Movie Pimp to help you do that.

The Pimp does a lot. It will take some time to document it all. When in doubt "right click" gives you some options.

To start:
  1. install the Pimp.
  2. goto Database->Manage-Create via the menu to create a new database at your desired location.
  3. start adding whole disks or indivdual files etc. via the File menu options.

Some basic tips:
  • name your movie files using "CamelCase". For Example: "HarryPotterAndTheSorcerersStone". The Pimp will then break up the name to do the search via blu-ray.com or IMDB. IMDB has way better search capabilities than blu-ray.com, but that's another story.
  • I have a physical media database called "OpticalBasedMovies" and another for "MoviesOnHardDrives". You can have as many dbs as you desire organized however you like.
  • If you use have a lot of DVDs mostly, set the default search engine to IMDB via Options->SearchMode. Smart Search is the default and based upon the file size will look up all files 8GB are likely BDs and thus fetched on blu-ray.com.

Why use blu-ray.com at all?
  • they have better higher resolutin movie poster pics
  • they have better BD/disc details such as the specific surround sound format, disc AR, video encoding method.

But hey, it's your choice.

I have my movie database located on a Windows 2008 server share with UAC disabled. I use a bare-bones hard drive rack that allows me to hot swap my various SATA drives in/out for ripping and playback. I recommend that you mount each drive under a single share directory using a NTFS mount point (via "Change Drive Letter and Paths" in the Storage Manager of Windows).

For instance, the drive bay is assigned drive F:\\ on the server itself. Each physical hard drive has an additional NTFS mount point under my \\\\Movies share. so for instance:

\\\\Movies\\Disk1

\\\\Movies\\Disk2

etc.

That way you can easily and always rip to F: when working on the server but then easily reference the actual drive correctly remotely.

The last tip for the night is that I am slowly adding HTPC support. For instance, the Pimp currently supports:
  • when you click the movie picture, the pimp will try to load the movie file leveraging Windows auto-play support.
  • pimp supports custom auto-play via the Options->Custom Auto-play
  • the pimp supports browsing up/down up/down by page and launching of movies via remote commands.
  • remotely switch between image view and movie list views
  • remotely switch between full maximize and normal Window sizes.

Future plans include support of SQL Server (and Express); expanding HTPC support (supporting a "Grid" view);

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoz /forum/post/19586554

Can you add fields/cols with this?

ie if I want to add my own rating for each movie...

You can "Tag" movies. There's a column called "Tag" with which you can supply your own values and color code them.

Goto Options->Edit Tags and define your own tags: say 'Must see' or '10' in Red, 'Ok' or '5' in light Red, and 'Maybe' in Pink - you know, whatever floats your boat.

Then you go through your movie list, selecting on the movie(s) you want to tag with a particular tag, then right click and use the "Tag Selection(s)" option to apply the tag(s).

You can then either sort by Tags by clicking the Tag column header or view only certain movies with a specific tag by going to View->Tagged Movies and selecting the movies you want to view in the list.

To review to the full movie list, select View-Reset or click the Reset button if you have that option enabled.

In the screen shot below, you can see I have a "light grey" tag called "To Archive" and I selected the View->Tagged Movies->To Archive to view only those tagged movies.

And here, you can see I've sorted my movie list by tag, the tags column is highlighted:

So that's the easiest thing to do.

You can also directly edit the values in the database table. By default, the ratings field is not shown in this the list view, so you need to expose it via "View->All Columns". Then right-click in the list and select "Edit Rows Mode" you can then go through and edit the ratings values. When done, select "Save Changes" via right-click.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
What movie formats are supported? All of mine are in MKV files, between DVD5 and DVD9 size. I might be interested in trying the app if it will support them, mainly for the frontend browsing functions.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy2day /forum/post/19590644

Interesting.

Can I export the file into Excel?

You'd have to do some work...using the File->Data Report will dump the movie details to a text file for the current database in this format:

Name: A Christmas Carol

Filename: \\\\media\\Movies\\BigThink\\TheChristmasCarol.ISO

SourceName: BigThink

Type: .iso

Aspect: 2.40

Surrounds: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

DateAcquired: 12/3/2010 6:53:49 PM

Length: 98

Director: Robert Zemeckis

Year: 2009

Video: MPEG-4 AVC

Filesize: 0

Name: Iron Man 2

Filename: \\\\media\\Movies\\GreenGiant\\IronMan2.ISO

SourceName: GreenGiant

Type: .iso

Aspect: 2.35

Surrounds: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1

DateAcquired: 11/30/2010 11:02:22 PM

Length: 125

Director: Jon Favreau

Year: 2010

Video: MPEG-4 AVC

Filesize: 0

This feature was intended as one way to move movies from one database to another and you can import the same file back into the Pimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali /forum/post/19591208

What movie formats are supported? All of mine are in MKV files, between DVD5 and DVD9 size. I might be interested in trying the app if it will support them, mainly for the frontend browsing functions.

MKVs are a default movie file type. However you can import any file type. the Pimp only using the base name in its lookups. You can also customize the default movie file types that are used via the File commands using the Options->File Types command. There you can edit the individual extensions.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone
While I still work my way through this...

The Expendables.....Dude...seriously??
To each his own.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Revised movie plot summary extraction from blu-ray.com

Blu-ray.com's movie detail format is not consistent thus as I encounter the different ways that they list their details, I add another way to fetch the data.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.