AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today, I've had a glimpse into the ways of the female mind. I'm working on a set of plans to cover undesirable parts of a home theater (undesirable to the female mind) with a wall with movable panels.  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520895/wife-approval-theatre-cabinet-wall . Based on advice from AVS Magnepan users, I'm focusing on using 3.7's for my front speakers and raised panel garage doors will cover the "undesirables" when they're not being used. I found some used 3.7's I can probably get in the mid $3K range. My wife says "no" because she says I will not be able to keep them in storage until the cabinets are built. Then she said somthing that startled me - the reason for this post. She said that after I build the cabinet storage space for the speakers I can buy a new pair of 3.7's for full retail price! The female mind is not so set against spending money as it is against making their living space ugly and undesirable. If you really read between the lines of all the adds for large Maggie sales they are not selling them because they don't like the sound of the Maggies, The real reason is;  they are just too domineering - translation - "my wife can't stand them any longer." This is such a revalation that I thought I should pass it on. A side note - I've looked through hundreds of pictures of home theater cabinets on Google images and I have never seen a design like this. I've found a helpful electronic friend at "Instructables" who is helping me to make this into a one button automated cabinet transformation. One push and the speakers are uncovered, move out into position, then the screen is uncovered and ready for show time. One more push and the room's atmosphere is refillled with wife acceptance. After I build this once, I can see a long future of repeating better and better builds to make other wives - and husbands- happy. Maybe my design will make a feature on Magnepan's webb page.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24512238

The female mind is not so set against spending money as it is against making their living space ugly and undesirable.
That's the same mind that will buy shoes that can do double duty as medieval torture devices, which typically get worn only a handful of times before being relegated to the back of the closet, replaced by another pair equally uncomfortable. We men laughed at what we considered the footwear inventory excesses of Imelda Marcos, but to the average female she was a role model.

Reactions: tubetwister

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
If a man ever understands the female mind someday (likely impossible ) He might well be a good candidate for committal to an insane asylum !

OTOH anyone that claims to understand a woman's mind is either a lair or foolish at the least because it is a fool's errand .

·
Banned
5,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrown3611  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24513881

Jack Nicholson in the movie As Good As It Gets, when asked how he writes women characters so well: " I think of a man and take away logic and accountability". :)

ha ha ain't that the truth !

·
Registered
320 Posts
A man finds a bottle, opens it, and out pops a genie. The genie, as they tend to, offers to grant a wish as a reward for releasing it.

The man says, "I want immortality!"

The genie replies "Some things are beyond my power. There are conditions in the universe that simply can not be altered."

The man then says, "Well... then, I want to understand women."

The genie is quiet for a moment, mutters "Let me look into the immortality thing for a minute."

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24516040

I honestly don't get what's so mysterious here. The wife doesn't want a large set of eyesores around until the claimed work is done. That's not mysterious. It's just prudent.
My wife completely agrees! Also, she doesn't buy uncomfortable shoes, she has a small reasonable size wardrobe, she definately spends less than I do. What amazed me was her statement of, "pay full price ($5500) after you get the cabinets built." I'm forever trying to save money and get a good deal and that statement floored me. That is what is so mysterious. If you guys are smart, you'll heed this revelation and coordinate your purchases with your wife's opinions and make them fit in with her sensibilities. I think anyone who follows this advice will see a remarkable improvement in their gear.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24516359

. If you guys are smart, you'll heed this revelation and coordinate your purchases with your wife's opinions and make them fit in with her sensibilities. I think anyone who follows this advice will see a remarkable improvement in their gear.
Or they'll end up with Bose.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The more you make them feel that they are the greatest thing in the world/in your life, the more they allow you to do what you want. (Doesn't work with every female, of course.) It won't work if you're just trying to manipulate.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24517780

The more you make them feel that they are the greatest thing in the world/in your life, the more they allow you to do what you want. (Doesn't work with every female, of course.) It won't work if you're just trying to manipulate.

What? Are you a prisoner or something?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24519900

What? Are you a prisoner or something?
Really. Do what you want, deal with it later. It's easier to apologize than to get permission.

Reactions: bumprunlogan

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24519936

Really. Do what you want, deal with it later. It's easier to apologize than to get permission.
I feel like this "Mysterious mind" tread is opening up a revealing picture of not just the female mind, but the interaction of spouses. I know from experience how secretive audio research and buying plans can be for a male. You don't want to let your wife know what you're planning so you can avoid the whole issue of family finances again. It is a novel idea to go ahead and bring it out in the open and let her in on your plans. Let her contribute how this will fit through the "aestetics" filter. If this plan will bring finacial ruin to the family funds, she should know before not after - that is the stuff divorces are made of. Many secret addictions are the route casues of divorce. One near divorce I know of where a husband had a gambling addiction. The only thing that saved the marriage was counceling and a complete separation of bank accounts. We can also become addicted to buying more and more audio gear. I think that bringing the wife in before purchases is a healthy plan - plus, you may experience the surprising statement I heard. " Wait until the cabinets are finished and pay full retail price for it- just make it out of sight." 

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24523029

I feel like this "Mysterious mind" tread is opening up a revealing picture of not just the female mind, but the interaction of spouses. I know from experience how secretive audio research and buying plans can be for a male. You don't want to let your wife know what you're planning so you can avoid the whole issue of family finances again. It is a novel idea to go ahead and bring it out in the open and let her in on your plans. Let her contribute how this will fit through the "aestetics" filter. If this plan will bring finacial ruin to the family funds, she should know before not after - that is the stuff divorces are made of. Many secret addictions are the route casues of divorce. One near divorce I know of where a husband had a gambling addiction. The only thing that saved the marriage was counceling and a complete separation of bank accounts. We can also become addicted to buying more and more audio gear. I think that bringing the wife in before purchases is a healthy plan - plus, you may experience the surprising statement I heard. " Wait until the cabinets are finished and pay full retail price for it- just make it out of sight." 

Very good comment!

·
Banned
431 Posts
I think the plans look cool but would that cavity that the speakers come out of be detrimental to sound? Should the cavity be filled with acoustic material? I don't know, just curious from those more knowledgeable than me. With nice speakers like that I would hate to have their performance hindered by that cavity.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb  /t/1523633/the-mysterious-female-mind#post_24524211

I think the plans look cool but would that cavity that the speakers come out of be detrimental to sound? Should the cavity be filled with acoustic material? I don't know, just curious from those more knowledgeable than me. With nice speakers like that I would hate to have their performance hindered by that cavity.
Some experimenting will be needed. The speakers will be mounted to a moving platform and they can move forward as far as needed. They also are mounted on turntables so they will never be back firing into the garage space directly. My back is slowly getting better. It has been very frustrating to not be able to work. Work is going to be so fun when I'm well again.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Believe it or not, my wife was with me when I bought 7 of my speakers and one sub. I snuck the second sub in later. She said nothing. Very glad I have a tolerant wife who enjoys our home theater and knows this makes me happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.