Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Earthlings:

Has anyone had the chance to listen to the new 705's from B&W? I haven't, but would like to. If you have, please share your thoughts and opinions with the uninformed.

Thanks..........Obi

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've only seen pictures and specs. The only change I noticed was a more rounding off of the top side cabinetry. Specs and internals looked identical to the CDM NT line.

Am I on crack or is this correct?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have heard all of the new 7 series. Since they are still being broken in, it is too early for me to tell. Out of the box they sound just like the CDM's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They may look like CDM's, but the drivers are different.

The tweeter is derived from the Signature series with only some minor adjustments, and extends to 50 KHz now.

The midwoofer uses the newly designed motor structure called Balanced Drive, in which they covered the polepiece with a copper cap, and added an aluminum disc on top of it.

This in order to completely eliminate the flux variations in the magnet gap as the voicecoil moves in and out of the gap.

Flux variation reduced from 40% to 0%, quite impressive if you ask me.

Also, the phaseplug (bullet) which is in the center of the midwoofers on the HTM7, 705 and 704 is now fixed to the woofer, whereas it was fixed to the polepiece in the CDM series.

Reason for this change is to eliminate air leaks with higher sound pressure levels.

I've heard the entire 700 series at the B&W factory in Worthing last week, demo'd on both Mark Levinson and Classé equipment.

Sounded very impressive, especially the small 705 which was demonstrated in a rather large auditorium-like room and still managed to produce a nice bass-line and really filled the room with sound.

Very eager to get a pair for demo at my house :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
DrBoom - thanks. Nice Summary.

I always thought the major difference between the CDM and the Nautilus series was the smoother high end on the Nautilus. Since the new 700 series has the tweeter technology from the Signature series - how would you describe the improvement in the high end - over the CDM series and compared to the Nautilus series.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 705 will be selling at €1400 per pair in Europe, and i'm guessing $1600 in the USA (maybe $1400 but that wouldn't seem right compared to the €1400).

As for the difference, i can't really describe it yet as they didn't do an a-b comparison.

Nor have i heard any CDM's in the room that they used for the demo.

So i can't really make any comments on the difference in sound yet, i'm waiting for them to arrive at the store somewhere halfway october.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I haven't heard them yet, but reports are very inconsistent at this time.

It's apparently the signature drivers in improved CDM cabinets. Hard to tell what the qualities of these 705's will be...

Some magazines say it blows the 805 away, others say it's not as transparent as the 805 (matrix cabinet...)

If anyone has compared them to CDM NT1 or 805 direct, please report, at this price point it should be amazing quality, the 700 series also seem very much aimed at HT (switchable direct/dipole surrounds) - I hate the look of the center speaker though...

Yves

·
Registered
136 Posts
I asked my local B&W dealer today about the sound quality difference between the 705's and the Nautilus 805's. They say the Nautilus still blows away the CDM's in an A/B comparison. Of course the Nautilus looks much better too. I was surprised though considering the much improved tweeter. I am the proud owner of Nautilus 802's, 805's and HTM2 but I wish I had that Signature tweeter with extended frequency range up to 50kHz!!!

I wonder if I can buy those tweeters seperately and install them myself? I know that they are detachable (I knocked the tweeter off one of my 802's by accident while moving but they pop back into place).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Tracer, it's more than that...

1) All frequencies, also higher that what you can hear, have their effects on other frequencies (harmonic theory) - DVD audio etc. have extended frequency ranges

2) The signature tweeter is just so much sweeter than the regular nautilus. check the difference between s805 and n805

Y

·
Registered
117 Posts
FWIW,

I had a chance to hear the new center channel CDM today. Equipment used was Rotel RSP-1066, RMB-1095, RDV-1060 played on CDM-9NTs (2003 models) while the center channel was the new CDM design.

The only thing I noticed was that the new center channel had a 'bassier' sound compared to the 'older' 9NTs when playing the white noise during calibration. I did not notice any voicing differences during DVD playback.

To be honest, I wasn't looking (listening) for anything specific on the center channel as I was merely auditioning the 9NTs and the RMB-1095. It just so happened they didn't have the older model CNT.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Quote:
I asked my local B&W dealer today about the sound quality difference between the 705's and the Nautilus 805's. They say the Nautilus still blows away the CDM's in an A/B comparison.

Of course a dealer's going to say that, they make more money on the Nautilus speakers. Not saying it isn't true though.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes,

My dealer tried to sell the same story, B&W would never dare to outperform the 800 series with 700, and blah blah and so on... fact remains, the drivers in the 700 are altered signature models. 800 series is around, unaltered, since 99(?)

800 is an old series now, for recent speakers one should go for Signature 800 or 700 series, the others, how fantastic they may be, are outdated.

The Nautilus line of course has better engineering in enclosure (matrix) but in the end.... It's all in the ears.

700 being more bassy is possible, the signature 805 was also much more bassy than the N805.

I'm very curious about 700, I'd love to audition them asap, I'm going to listen to:

A) N805 vs 705 (CDM-1NT vs 805, I've heard those 2 at different locations, very close except for transparency, soundstage)

B) 704 (Very curious about the reports that bass is super tight in this model)

C) If 704 is good, how does a CDM7 centre hold op between them.

D) 703 out of curiousity against 804, but both beyond budget

Maybe I'll pick up some old CDM-1NT's at bargain price for rears :)

Yves

·
Registered
14 Posts
We are currently in a phase where the 700 series is almost as good as the 800 series (up to the 804's), but this is only going to last for about a year i guess since the 800 S2 is already in development.

I suspect these to be released next year, since it has been already 4 or 5 years when the Nautilus range was created.

The only thing i've picked up so far about this 800 S2 series, is that the tweeters will be even far superior to the current Signature series.

Don't know if it's true, but i can sure imagine B&W pulling it off :)

After all they 've thoroughly redesigned the woofer/midrange and tweeter of the CDM series, and I suspect the same will happen with the 800 series.

Sad thing about it is that the price will rise once again, because there's just too little price difference at the moment between the 703 and the 804.

I'm curious as to how this will develop in 5-10 years, if they keep jacking up the price every time they create a new series, B&W is going to become one of the most expensive speakers on the market :D

Nevertheless, the current 800 series is still one hell of a speaker range, the 700's are just catching up to it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
does anyone know if the tweeters in the Nautilus 802's could be replaced by the Signature 2 series tweeters? or will it make no difference without upgrading the crossovers too? If I could get the Signature 2 series tweeters for $200 each I could upgrade all my Nautilus 800 speakers for $1000. If this is possible, and I could get the full frequency range of the new improved tweeters, then this would be a very tempting upgrade....:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Anyone actually heard these puppies?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A few days ago i finally had the time to audition the 705's and compare them to the Nautilus 805's.

Test setup was a Classé CAP-151 integrated amp, Monster Z1 speakercable, Monster Interlink 400 MkII, Philips DVD 963SA used as CD player with 192 KHz upsampling.

First of all, the 705's were brand new, right out of the box.

The 805's had already played for a few hours, but not really that much.

The first thing you notice when you compare these speakers is how very bright and forward the sound of the 705 is compared to the 805.

Where the 805 is very soft and pleasing to the ear, the 705 is kinda bright and at some times even unpleasant to hear, especially with rock music or powerful vocal pieces.

The tweeter is very detailed, perhaps more detailed than the 800 series tweeter.

The downside is that it sounds too bright at times, but this could be because it's still brand new and will get better with time.

Also consider that the Classé amp is very neutral sounding and not bright at all.

The 805's set a much wider soundstage than it's cheaper sibling, really quite astonishing.

The voices on the 705 had a slightly rough edge, where the 805 made them sound very smooth.

I haven't heard the floorstanders of the 700 series yet (well i did hear them but not in direct comparison with the 800 series), but i've been told that the 704 is the smoothest sounding of all three with the least tendency to brightness.

In a direct A-B comparison, with the speakers brand new out of the box and this particular setup, i'd have to rule in favor of the 805's for tonal balance and overall pleasing sound at any volume.

Though the 705's are probably a little more detailed, but it's hard to tell because the treble and midrange are just more forward so it may be a false sense of detail simply because it's louder.

I'll postpone my final conclusion until the speakers have had some time to break in, and then i'll compare them again. :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Very disappointing so far...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just wandering, but why would you guys think that 705 should out perform the 805? (and likewise with other models in the range) It would not be very smart for B&W to produce a lesser priced speaker that would outperform its big brother. How would B&W than sell the current 800 line for the next year or so until the new 800 series comes out?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.