AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I noticed something that was brought up on this forum a couple threads back about ESPN-HD showing people the difference between 16:9 and 4:3. They squeezed the picture and put a box around the 4:3 area to show viewers the difference.

I seriously doubt ESPN-HD and the DisneyCo could care less about people knowing the difference but it's a good guess that Phillips and Best Buy have opted for ESPN to show this to help promote the sales of HDTV's..

Just my random thoughts.. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I saw it last night on SD ESPN (D* 206). They letterboxed the screen and had a red outline showing what a 4:3 picture would be and then showed the 3 inches on each side you would get. Melrose was all excited because right before a face off, the Bruins goalie was out of the SD picture but in HD we would have been watching him drink his water.

There was one play shortly thereafter when Boston was moving the puck up the ice and you saw a player pass to someone on the wing. In SD, there was no player to be seen, but in HD, you were able to see the intended target. They didn't mention anything about that.

I think they care A LOT, because they're getting people to spend EXTRA $$ for their HD service. The more subscibers they get, the quicker the initial HD investment pays off, thus generating capital for other projects and improving cash flow. Remember, Disney is a publicly traded company and it's shareholders don't give a damn about HD or any initiative unless it translates to $$$ on the bottom line. EPS BABY!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
i'm surprised they don't show this on their college basketball or nba games....might be interesting

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think the bigtime NHL hot-shots (and the fans too) are pushing it too...they believe the ability to see the puck will bring in more fans. I can attest to that fact as I had never been an NHL fan until HDNet starting televising the games.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hockey IS live or HDTV. You can't say much else about it, IMHO, yours may vary. Or, HDTV was invented for Hockey on the TV. ;-)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I do agree that Hocke has the most to gain with HDTV. I was a big NHL fan until the Whalers moved outta Hartford and left me with no team to follow. But the next biggest beneficiary from HDTV will be baseball, when you can see the beauty of the ballparks in HD, and you can easily follow where a baseball is when it's hit in the air (kinda hard to track currently on an interlaced set). Football and Basketball have the least to gain (though there will be a gain) I think because you can already see everything perfectly in SD, all the players are well sized and the ball is pretty big and easy to follow.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I think football gains a lot more then baseball. This is coming from a fan of both. I can only really stand to watch hockey during playoff time with the Avs in them. Football has to be zoomed out a lot to show everything, so the players look terrible compressed. replays and closeups aren't so bad, but live action normally is pretty bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.