AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehe299792458 /forum/post/15179320

my dream come true!!!!!!!! will this be the death of htpcs? does anyone know when will this become available?

To actually answer your question; It will be announced at CES in january, and will probably be available not long after that.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamone /forum/post/15173375

I want one now!

Yeah but that happens here all the time--people get excited, 100s of posts speculating & waiting, then the product finally ships and Reality sets-in!

At least, in this case the mfr knows something about networking--always an issue with these gizmos. I appreciated in particular that the manual says "Wireless G doesn't work for HD" and in fact they said Wireless-N does not even work for High Bandwidth HD (tho that is not defined).

Anyway, a very nice box indeed, and depending on the price I might have to get one to replace my SC 250HD or maybe even my PCH.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm with you Laserfan. It does look like a nice box. They have also done a reasonable job supporting their box with software upgrades. My only problem with the Netgear EVA series is they don't support uPnP. PlayOn has rejuvenated my DLink box. The ability to stream "instant movies" from Netflix, Hulu or CBS web sites is something I don't want to give up.

This is a little off topic Laserfan, but have you tried PlayOn with your SC250HD? As I remember, the SC has some uPnP support.

Alan

·
Registered
4,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablevy /forum/post/15180340

...have you tried PlayOn with your SC250HD? As I remember, the SC has some uPnP support.

No, but then I don't do any streaming off'n the internet--I do expect it would work. I use Pinnacle's and PopcornHour's and Twonky and sometimes even SwissCenter depending on what I need to do.

That's a problem with all these media players though--they all tend to work best with their own server software (duh)!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a netgear 8000. The interface was terrible, navigation was clunky and it didn't allow live browsing. You had to rescan your entire collection every time a file was added or deleted. In the beta forum, the moderators were rather unfriendly.

If the 8000 is any indication, I wouldn't recommend purchasing this until someone has done a very thorough review. Don't think that because "netgear" is a "big box brand" that they won't release a device that doesn't live up to the specs.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Didn't see in the manual if it supports NFS. Without it I question on how well streaming will work with HD files.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Shamone,

Very nice find !! [sarcasm ON] Good thing the FCC included the non-disclosure request cover letter....[sarcasm OFF]

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmorgan /forum/post/15182269

I had a netgear 8000. The interface was terrible, navigation was clunky and it didn't allow live browsing. You had to rescan your entire collection every time a file was added or deleted.

According to the manual the 9000 supports live folder browsing. It doesn't say whether the interface is still clunky tho

·
Registered
110 Posts
At first I read about this and I was all excited...two things rained on my parade, though:

Firstly, no gigbit ethernet. I recognize 100 is enough for most things, but if I want to send a 5 gig movie to the onboard hard drive, it will matter.

Secondly (and much more important), while it supports FLAC et al, I didn't see any information about being able to output via HDMI high-def and surround FLAC et al. I see it can bitstream TrueHD et al which is nice, but I'd also like to be able to play 96k PCM.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts