AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just won a HK AVR230 and let me tell you this is one awsome receiver.

Its full featured and I cant imaging ever needed to upgrade from this unit to another one.

For one thing the looks are awsome, alome a baby McIntosh. :)

All blue LED display and power indicatiors including a "ring" volume control fully illuminated by a blue LED backlighting.

The amp is rated at TRUE 50 watts per channel all channels driven which for most people is plenty of power but for me, well I use the pre amp outs to dedicated power amps. Speaking of the amp section, its a 6.1 receiver BUT it has full 7.1 pre amp out puts so you would just simply add a small amp if you were planning to do a 7.1 system.

This receiver also has full on screen set up displays which are very easy to read and understand. Coax and optical inputs and out puts galore! The remote is a little weird as theres no volume punch through if you switch inputs and I dont understand that but who cares Im using a Pronto 2000 any way so it doesent matter to me.

All I can say is these new units look very prommising and comming from Harmon Kardon should be a new brainer. If there are any engineers from HK on here this is just a thanks to you guys for a great looking as well as performing receiver! These have to be the niceest receiver from HK in a while!

KEEP IT UP

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
The AVR 230 should have punch through volume control assignable by device. Yes that is one very fine AVR, good looks, features and HK is the only brand that doesn't lie for its power specifications. If they say it is 50W/channel most likely it is at least 65W per channel.

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M Code,

Your exactly right about the power of HK

The standard when these other companies to rate a receiver is that they have to run only one channel at full power and the others at 1/8th power and if the amp can deliver full power to the channel driven 100&% they can state the amp is rated bla bla watts per channel X 5 or what ever it is.

Hamon does no do this. They run all the channels at 100% and tell you exactly if the amp is tru power or not thats why as you state it may be more power then they rate it so that 1. theres headroom for the amp and 2. very little chance for distortion when ran with in there specs.

Also I noticed the responce is 10Hz~135Khz. Thats a serious wide band amplifier!

These units look and sound great from what I can tell so far!

AWSOME!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VR Audio Systems
I just won a HK AVR230 and let me tell you this is one awsome receiver.

Its full featured and I cant imaging ever needed to upgrade from this unit to another one.

For one thing the looks are awsome, alome a baby McIntosh. :)

All blue LED display and power indicatiors including a "ring" volume control fully illuminated by a blue LED backlighting.

The amp is rated at TRUE 50 watts per channel all channels driven which for most people is plenty of power but for me, well I use the pre amp outs to dedicated power amps. Speaking of the amp section, its a 6.1 receiver BUT it has full 7.1 pre amp out puts so you would just simply add a small amp if you were planning to do a 7.1 system.

This receiver also has full on screen set up displays which are very easy to read and understand. Coax and optical inputs and out puts galore! The remote is a little weird as theres no volume punch through if you switch inputs and I dont understand that but who cares Im using a Pronto 2000 any way so it doesent matter to me.

All I can say is these new units look very prommising and comming from Harmon Kardon should be a new brainer. If there are any engineers from HK on here this is just a thanks to you guys for a great looking as well as performing receiver! These have to be the niceest receiver from HK in a while!

KEEP IT UP

I'll second that. Great "budget" receiver!

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Totally agree..

After seeing and auditioning the line @ CEDIA it was most impressive. They include multiple unique features not even found on the competition such as Dolby Heaphone, Dolby Virtual Speaker, Quadruple X-over, DVD-A bass manager, software upgrade capability, upgrade slot for DAB..

But the point I like most about HK is their honesty in power output specifications, if they say it puts out 75 watts know it will exceed this. But if the competition says 100 watts, the reviews show that typically actual power output is usually 50% less and often even less. Besides theHK AVRs sound pretty good as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just picked one of these AVR230's up last night.

This thing is going to be great...and for the first time I think the remote is going to cover all of my equipment.

What really sold me in the store was the Coax Digital Output, and the 75-ohm coax connector for the FM antenna.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VR Audio Systems
All I can say is these new units look very prommising and comming from Harmon Kardon should be a new brainer.
Coming from Harmon Kardon is both a blessing and a curse IMO. BTW Congrats on winning it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Does this unit have a discrete on and off function for macros?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vdmai
Does this unit have a discrete on and off function for macros?
If you referring to the discrete Power On and Off codes, ALL Harman/Kardon AVRs including the AVR 230 have used these for the last several years.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just bought an AVR 230 3 hours ago. Going to be running it as a pre/pro for some Polk LSi speakers. Now I just need to get an amp... :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought one of these this week-end, and was not impressed. I wanted to upgrade my system from my old Sony 5.1 (80 watts/channel) system and this one didn't seem to have much power. I had read several reviews (here and elsewhere) and understood that their power rating was underrated. I hooked it up to my speakers:

Boston Acoustics

CR9s (Fronts)

CR4s (Rears)

Boston Center (can't remember model #)

and a cheap KLH center (just to try the extra channel).

Now I switched brands primarily to try a different type of sound (and perhaps I just didn't like it). It seem totally under powered and almost hollow. The only speaker that sounded fine was the sub. I had to turn the volume up very high to get the speakers to sound somewhat loud, but they would sound slightly distorted. I checked the connections (for crossed wires...etc.) but everything seemed fine. Am I missing something?

I ended up with the Sony STR-DE995 which sounds great when hooked up to my speakers. Has anyone else had this problem with the AVR230?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow, are you guys saying that this receiver will let you do "bass management" on the DVD-A or SACD analog inputs? Can someone please confirm this? Also, does this memorise speaker levels and tone control settings for different source inputs?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.