AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Ah the ipod... a multi billion dollar industry built around a 300$ MP3 player.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Does it use its own DAC or the iPod's line out? If the former, I'll bet it's pretty sweet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn /forum/post/14239561

Where is Dan D'Agostino these days?

A $4000 iPod Dock. Amazing

He's kick'in back on a beach in Jamaica, sipping mai-tai's, and explaining to those gathered why it so easy to sell just about anything in this great country, provided you price it high enough.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I think it extracts a digital out like the MSB dock. MP3 or AAC tracks still have limited upside obviously.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Actually AAC can be damn good, even MP3 can audibly transparent for most content with a sufficiently high bit rate. And you can always go lossless.

Still, I think a USB DAC or network player like the Transporter is more practical.

·
Registered
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant /forum/post/14239934

Does it use its own DAC or the iPod's line out? If the former, I'll bet it's pretty sweet.

The Ipods "line out", isn't a true line out. It has volume control circuitry in the path.

The Ipods software codecs are only so-so as well. Check out www.rockbox.org if you want to get better software codecs. Rockbox is an alternate Operating System that has better codecs and added features (i.e 5 band EQ, adds Flac playback ability). The sound quality difference is noticable.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Nothing wrong with Apple Lossless by definition.

As for Krell, D'Agostino doesn't even believe his own BS. I see him at shows all the time and he looks like he's just going through the motion at this point. His wife, on the other hand, loves the limelight, loves talking to people, loves wearing expensive clothing and jewelry. He looks like a victim and she looks like she's prom queen. I think his wife runs that company and makes him do her bidding, or at least, that's how it looks when you're around them. Or maybe that's just his personality and he thinks audiophiles are complete suckers. Not sure which.

The sarcasm in the announcement is hilarious though.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw /forum/post/14239962

He's kick'in back on a beach in Jamaica, sipping mai-tai's, and explaining to those gathered why it so easy to sell just about anything in this great country, provided you price it high enough.

Jim

Nothing could be further from the truth. He's a very driven and hard working guy-super involved with every aspect of his business.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Not a very well thought out name: Papa Dock??? Responsible for many deaths as a dictator!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I thought it was a joke, but then I went directly to Krell's WEB site.

Frankly, it's perfectly clear that "high end' thinks we're fools.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Why do people automatically assume ipods are to be used for 128kbs mp3? Kids do. I don't.

I've ripped all my cds onto my MacBook via Apple Lossless. I've been sending it to my AVM-20 via Airport Express. Once I get my mini-toslink to toslink cable I can give the preamp a digital signal. My hopes is that I can do away with a "traditional" cd transport. There's nothing like being able to have whole cd collection at your lap and being able to send it to any system in the house wirelessly.

Things are changing. Krell is changing. Will you?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
FYI, the Papa Dock refers to the amplifier, the Kid to the actual iPod dock. You can buy the Kid without the Papa Dock if you supply your own amplification.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
But Sonos is way ahead of Krell and do it really well. Worse case, you hook up a $1500 amp with built in DACs and away you go. But they'll sell it, so it doesn't matter. It's all about the 'bling' now.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grellberg /forum/post/14244220

Nothing could be further from the truth. He's a very driven and hard working guy-super involved with every aspect of his business.

Relax, I was kidding (I thought that was obvious). I know Dan as well, and yes, he is a seriously dedicated guy.

Jim

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman /forum/post/14239544

Ah the ipod... a multi billion dollar industry built around a 300$ MP3 player.

...which is killing the high end audio market, along with physical cd's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, LP's.

Pity.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts