AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone gotten a chance to listen to these yet? I dont think most dealers will get them til the end of the month, but i'm sure several people have gotten a chance to listen to them. Anyone have any thoughts or comments? They dont seem to extend to low, around 45hz which seems odd. But it almost appears to be a little brother of the RF-63/83, but of course using different drivers and the newer horn technology.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/wf-35.aspx

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so no one else is looking at these?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i dont think you will until July 27th, but i figured some had heard them already (there are always people out there who get to see things in advance, especially on this forum)

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/14283474

They dont seem to extend to low, around 45hz which seems odd.

why is that odd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/14283474

But it almost appears to be a little brother of the RF-63/83, but of course using different drivers and the newer horn technology.

Not really. The Icon W series is completely different.

WF = waf

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14288433

why is that odd?

Not really. The Icon W series is completely different.

WF = waf

Its odd because most of Klipsch previous models have always extended a little more, thats all.

And i was saying its looks like the little brother of the 63/83 because of the three driver design, not because of the drivers...hence why i wrote "but of course using different drivers and the newer horn technology"....

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I really think that the Icons are a downgrade.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14288498

I agree the X series, is but i guess we'll see about the W line. I've heard from several people that said they were quite good.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/14288475

Its odd because most of Klipsch previous models have always extended a little more, thats all.

Yeah, these "appear" to be more refined and finessy.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz /forum/post/14288498

I don't know about that. I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14288601

Yeah, these "appear" to be more refined and finessy.

Well i sure hope so.

I've always loved Klipsch for movies, but music has always left me wanting more. Maybe something more refined and finessy is exactly what would make me happy

·
Registered
941 Posts
As someone who has never owned Klipsch but is looking for small towers for a 2-channel system, I have my eye on these. Aesthetically, I find them more appealing than the Reference Series. Can't wait to hear them, and I hope that Crutchfield will add them to their Klipsch inventory.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaz001 /forum/post/14289033

As someone who has never owned Klipsch but is looking for small towers for a 2-channel system, I have my eye on these. Aesthetically, I find them more appealing than the Reference Series. Can't wait to hear them, and I hope that Crutchfield will add them to their Klipsch inventory.

I definately find them more aesthetically pleasing than the Reference series, how can you not with the real wood veneers, about time Klipsch made something sexy, i just hope it performs.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The bigger Reference (RF-63 and 83's) are real wood veneers as is all the Heritage product. Most people buy them in black but the natural cherry is very pretty.

Icon's are a bit more rolled off than Reference, more along the lines of RVX-54's.

IconX's are fully active, self powered. For the size, they put out a pretty ridiculous amount of sound. Definitely more of a lifestyle product but I like them.

Still like RF-63/83's as the best bang for the buck in speakerdom, but if you can't fit the beasts, Icon W's may be your solution.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/14289590

The bigger Reference (RF-63 and 83's) are real wood veneers as is all the Heritage product. Most people buy them in black but the natural cherry is very pretty.

Icon's are a bit more rolled off than Reference, more along the lines of RVX-54's.

IconX's are fully active, self powered. For the size, they put out a pretty ridiculous amount of sound. Definitely more of a lifestyle product but I like them.

Still like RF-63/83's as the best bang for the buck in speakerdom, but if you can't fit the beasts, Icon W's may be your solution.

I know the 63/83s and RF-7's are all wood veneers, i was mainly referencing something newer to the line. The espresso and cabernet finishes seem to be a great addition and appearences wise are much better looking IMO.

Im not a fan of the self powered Icon's. They just dont suit my tastes and their is just something about the sound that well does not fit their price...again IMO, but many agree. I do love the 63's and 83's though, quite excellent speakers, but a little big for my apartment (well the 63 might work, but still on the expensive side...)

Soundood have you gotten to hear the WF-35/34's? I know your a dealer, so perhaps you have gotten a little taste?

·
Registered
941 Posts

Quote:
The espresso and cabernet finishes seem to be a great addition and appearences wise are much better looking IMO.

I agree. Can't wait to have a look at these in person.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I hope they don't sound like the RVX 54's, I found those to be not very good at all. I have heard the Icon XF-48's and while I did like them alot they did NOT justify their price.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/14289717

I know the 63/83s and RF-7's are all wood veneers, i was mainly referencing something newer to the line. The espresso and cabernet finishes seem to be a great addition and appearences wise are much better looking IMO.

Im not a fan of the self powered Icon's. They just dont suit my tastes and their is just something about the sound that well does not fit their price...again IMO, but many agree. I do love the 63's and 83's though, quite excellent speakers, but a little big for my apartment (well the 63 might work, but still on the expensive side...)

Soundood have you gotten to hear the WF-35/34's? I know your a dealer, so perhaps you have gotten a little taste?

Haven't heard them yet. Still trying to decide to bring them in on display or not. I do mostly larger custom theaters (typically Ultra 2 and bigger Reference) so I'm not sure where they'll fit in the line. On the ICON-X, give them a chance to break in and for god's sake, make sure they are set up properly. 99% chance all the ones folks have heard have few hours on them and definitely question the setup since not so many people know how to set them (hint...don't cross them over at 80hz!) If they are like the RVX-54, they are pretty flat sounding for the first 30 hours or so (anybody remember new RF-7's? Until about 30+ hours...UGH!). Also, with RVX-54's, the mistake a lot of dealers and customers made on them was to use them with inexpensive, smaller amps (a $399 receiver isn't going to do it). That is 4 woofers in there folks. They want current, power, watts. A solid 300/ch. You've got to HAMMER them...beat them, abuse them, crank the living [email protected] out of them. Then you'll grok the concept. They are not dainty little girly man "lifestyle speakers"...they are KLIPSCH's. I suspect the ICON will be similar since the driver is seemingly similar to the RVX. They'll probably be easier to drive than RVX's.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/14290084

Haven't heard them yet. Still trying to decide to bring them in on display or not. I do mostly larger custom theaters (typically Ultra 2 and bigger Reference) so I'm not sure where they'll fit in the line. On the ICON-X, give them a chance to break in and for god's sake, make sure they are set up properly. 99% chance all the ones folks have heard have few hours on them and definitely question the setup since not so many people know how to set them (hint...don't cross them over at 80hz!) If they are like the RVX-54, they are pretty flat sounding for the first 30 hours or so (anybody remember new RF-7's? Until about 30+ hours...UGH!). Also, with RVX-54's, the mistake a lot of dealers and customers made on them was to use them with inexpensive, smaller amps (a $399 receiver isn't going to do it). That is 4 woofers in there folks. They want current, power, watts. A solid 300/ch. You've got to HAMMER them...beat them, abuse them, crank the living [email protected] out of them. Then you'll grok the concept. They are not dainty little girly man "lifestyle speakers"...they are KLIPSCH's. I suspect the ICON will be similar since the driver is seemingly similar to the RVX. They'll probably be easier to drive than RVX's.

Fair enough. But how can you day that the 63/83's are the best bang for the buck if you have not heard the new W line at all? They seem like they could be the nice gap people have looked for between the higher end reference lines and the lower end ones IMO. plus WAF WAF WAF WAF

And im pretty covered as far as power goes, i have the Emotiva RPA-1 and XPA-3, they are pretty powerful beasts...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I work for Magnolia Home Theater, and I put our 34 and 35 towers out on display last night. I let them play all night, and after about 18 hours of listening-level break-in, the 35s sounded pretty impressive. I think they sound better than the XF-48 towers which cost considerably more.

The imaging was pretty impressive (Norah Jones, Come Away With Me SACD, track 6 intro), and the tweeters didn't feel particularly harsh despite the minimal break-in. Aesthetically they rival anything in our showrooms (Vienna towers included); the finishes are both very dark, and the cabinets do not have visbile seems at the corners, unlike Reference towers. Basically, they look like a $1,500 tower, while costing $750.

The towers do hit pretty low for their size (they are not anywhere near the size of the RF-82s), and when paired up with the Icon 500 sub, things sounded even better.

I am a former Klipsch-hater, and these may well become my HT speakers (though, they really aren't in the running for HiFi.)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts