AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 27616 Posts

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
So how the original ranking was created in the first place? Was it based on fr charts[ many don't have it] or personal opinion[who's?] or both?

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Great work. Thanks.

Don't forget to add "9" to the list. It is definitely a 5 star in the bass department. Also I think that The Hurt Locker deserves to be up there as well.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Yes... definitely 9 needs to be a five star.

I need to go back through Dragonball Evolution. Terrible movie, but it's at least a good 4 1/2 stars.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
is is safe to post yet ?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Blue Crush (the DVD version) might be a 5 star movie for LFE or 4 ½ at the least IMO. I believe it comes out on Bluray this summer.

It would be great if someone could post waterfalls of this one.

If you have not heard it, you need to check this one out.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20410257

Too bad some of these movies suck

Yep, that is so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter72 /forum/post/20410424

Let's not forget Terminator Salvation on the list.

How much stars?...to me it's not quite in five star category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/20410916

So how the original ranking was created in the first place? Was it based on fr charts[ many don't have it] or personal opinion[who's?] or both?

Pretty much both, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/20411495

Great work. Thanks.

Don't forget to add "9" to the list. It is definitely a 5 star in the bass department. Also I think that The Hurt Locker deserves to be up there as well.

Added "9" to five star list, need to watch The Hurt locker soon again(50. cal scene was awesome).

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk /forum/post/20411914

is is safe to post yet ?

Hah Haa, good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 /forum/post/20411929

Blue Crush (the DVD version) might be a 5 star movie for LFE or 4 ½ at the least IMO. I believe it comes out on Bluray this summer.

It would be great if someone could post waterfalls of this one.

If you have not heard it, you need to check this one out.

I have seen it once a long time ago and was not that impressed what i remember, but i may check it again.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man /forum/post/20410068

It was not my idea. The person who did this list originally made that choice and i think it might be some kind of typo or mistake after all because Star Wars-Attack of the Clones sure have better bass than three stars. Will put it in 4,5 star category, i think it deserves it.

Also watched Titan A.E. icefield scene in dts and for that scene itself, that movie sure needs to be in five star list.

I agree. Titan AE has an explosive begining also. The earth blowing up was an extraordinary sound demo.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/20411495

Great work. Thanks.

Forgot about that one !!! Yes..."9" has some devastating bass.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
About time!

·
Registered
585 Posts
lfe man...

You have given joy to a lot of hearts with your contribution. May god bless you brother....

Cheers

Reactions: Onkyoinked5

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti /forum/post/20415455

lfe man...

You have given joy to a lot of hearts with your contribution. May god bless you brother....

Cheers

LOL!

Agree!

Now I know what to use to test for bass on movies!

Thanks.

·
Registered
19,574 Posts
You should add Transformers 2 into the 4.5 star bass thread and lower M&C to the 4 star. I thought Transformers 2 was better for bass, especially when comparing blurays.

·
Registered
324 Posts
^I think there needs to be a formula used to determine a movie's bass rating since this can be very subjective and depend on what a person's system can actually do. At least with a formula, you could get a better and more consistent rating for movies.

What that formula is I don't know, but it seems like it could be based on a point scale. Maybe determined by some of the following attributes such as; quantity of bass, impact (how deep), intensity (long or short sustained scenes), bass control (is it bloated or very defined) etc... Not sure if this is the best starting point but there has to be some type of method we could use to better determine a movie's "Bass Rating" other than "I think it should be...".

·
Registered
741 Posts
^ I agree.

Listening can be off from one person to another.

Another note, how good are tracks on older movies? Any one stand out? Wondering how the new star wars set will be when it comes out. Lucas better have remastered the audio!!

·
Registered
19,574 Posts
I judge a movie's bass on extension, spl, quantity, and quality. One note high levels of bass sucks unless it is at 10hz and under!!!! My system plays to 5hz at reference levels and it is just my opinion. M&C for instance had one scene that was great but not on the bluray.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/20416655

My system plays to 5hz at reference levels and it is just my opinion.

Therein lies the problem with coming up with a formula - everybody's systems and opinions are different.

I'd say the general consensus should probably be what each movie ends up getting. If five guys give, say, the Incredibles four stars and I say it deserves five; the movie should then get four stars

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the simplest would be to judge the bass for performance down to say 20hz, which most people would be able to play. Then if a movie does have deeper bass, we can make note of that and maybe the timestamp. There's no point rating down to 5hz until the bulk of people on here can play it; since CEA testing is down to 20hz, wouldn't that make the most sense?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Tron, Terminator Salvation, Revenge of the Fallen, and HTTYD are my favorites by far.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Star Trek 2009 was a fun bass movie

Reactions: Quickett
21 - 40 of 27616 Posts