AVS Forum banner

16501 - 16520 of 27643 Posts

·
Registered
16,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24718642

No problem. I'll try to see if I can get my hands on a copy of Seal Team 8. That's the newest in the Behind Enemy Lines franchise, right?

Thanks! Not sure about it being the newest in the BEL franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24718211

Thinking of a blind buy for this one and "Robocop & Pompeii" as there's not been much lately to add to the collection, any other sleepers out there?

You might consider giving Seal Team 8 a rent first as one watch may be enough!
Fun bass ride, but the movie was corny to the point of feeling almost like a spoof film IMO. Just a thought. You can always pick it up for cheap later if you like it enough with your rent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24718735

Did you watch the DVD or bluray

I watched the blu ray from Netflix.

·
Registered
512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24720415

Think I'm gunna blind buy Robocop and Pompeii as well.

Both are good bass movies....If that's all your getting them for.

Pompeii is a movie you would skip the story line just to get to the bass scenes lol............then again Im sure most of the ppl in this thread do that even with the good storyline movies lol.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16480_40#post_24721829

Thanks guys. I may just rent Pompeii first and buy Robocop. I loved the original when I was growing up.

Just saw ralphs review on Pompeii
welph! looks like its only Robocop for a purchase as well and if the soundtrack for Pompeii turns out to deliver some major goods after the rental I'll scoop it up later at discount prices of course

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me that reviewers can write so much while saying so little. This is especially apparent when they simply get it wrong. Pompeii has fantastic extension (1Hz is its -10dB point), peaking at 30Hz and slowly rolling off from there. Lots of content below 20Hz, excellent dynamics and really good levels, too. The movie sucks, though! Robocop (2014) isn't a much better movie, and has less bass in every respect.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16480_40#post_24721971

It never ceases to amaze me that reviewers can write so much while saying so little. This is especially apparent when they simply get it wrong. Pompeii has fantastic extension (1Hz is its -10dB point), peaking at 30Hz and slowly rolling off from there. Lots of content below 20Hz, excellent dynamics and really good levels, too. The movie sucks, though! Robocop (2014) isn't a much better movie, and has less bass in every respect.

You're making me second guess my blind buy! looks like I may play it safe and just screen both
But I'm blind buying godzilla and that's final

Besides I've been on a roll of good blind buys lately and don't want to muck it up

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Pompeii and I, Frankenstein are not bad to me as far as the movies go. The bass is quite good with both movies. I guest I like bass so much that it makes up for the movies. 3 days to kill is on my list for this weekend.

·
Banned
8,185 Posts
I am a lot more lenient when it comes to movies than most on here. Especially if it sounds awesome.

To each his own

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24722667

I am a lot more lenient when it comes to movies than most on here. Especially if it sounds awesome.

To each his own
Same hear I love movies so much that even poor ones entertain me. I never take reviews too seriously but I find them interesting.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24721971

Nube you pretty much said the same thing as Ralph except you elaborated more on extension. You are measuring using graphs and he is just judging it subjectively. I get what your saying tho.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It's not that big of a deal, but I suppose I just don't get the reason for including an unrated LFE extension category when your system doesn't extend much below 20Hz. That limitation alone means subjective impressions on the extension of nearly all new action/thriller/scifi movies will be wrong. Hell, why subjectively rate extension, anyway, when you don't have to anymore due to the Data-Bass content project?

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24722906

It's not that big of a deal, but I suppose I just don't get the reason for including an unrated LFE extension category when your system doesn't extend much below 20Hz. That limitation alone means subjective impressions on the extension of nearly all new action/thriller/scifi movies will be wrong. Hell, why subjectively rate extension, anyway, when you don't have to anymore due to the Data-Bass content project?
Ya I agree it's strange to have a non rated category yet still score it while not being able to playback the super low stuff. Prolly his way to include it but a nod towards the reader to not take it too seriously. That's what data bass is for like u said

·
Registered
16,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube  /t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/16500#post_24722906

Well, not everyone reads data-bass Nube so Ralph is giving a subjective evaluation for those who do follow and enjoy his reviews with his equipment which people can see in his sig so his thoughts can be put in proper context. I use the same subs as Ralph so I for one DO find value in his subjective thoughts on the matter. I understand where you are coming from, but honestly your post above teeters on the line of snobbery, elitism, what have you. If you don't like Ralph's reviews, don't read them. I love both data-bass and Ralph's reviews, but neither is perfect. I applaud Ralph for making an effort to modify his review methodology and this latest change is certainly for the better IMO. Sorry to rant on you here a bit and I consider you a buddy of mine on AVS and db, but I don't see much point in bashing what he has done, especially when he is the only mainstream reviewer to even make an effort to cater to some degree to bass heads.

Also, we are not talking about a sub that drops like a rock below 30hz........his PB13 is fairly strong into the low teens (with room gain) which isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

16501 - 16520 of 27643 Posts